Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Purchasing LE

Hi

Basic questions here

Me and my friend are new to ProTools and interested in purchasing ProTools LE Digi002. Maybe just with the control surface to start out.

We both have home studios and will like to know...
1. Can we do final mixes to create our own CD with this unit or do we need the HD System?
2. What all do we need to get started besides purchasing the Digi002 with the Control Surface?
3. We both have PC's but might later get the Mac.
4. What all do the software bundle offer over a stand alone system? No firewire etc.? Can we get by without it for now?

Any other tips for a beginner will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Dave
Old 10-31-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Purchasing LE

Digidesign sells hardware. How it works is that you buy a piece of Digi hardware and the software comes with it.

If you buy the 002 (with the control surface), you get the firewire interface with the faders and buttons and such. If you go with an 002 Rack then you get the firewire interface and not the control surface (cheaper). You can use the mixer on the screen with the 002 Rack, so you don't absolutely need the control surface. Or if you go for an Mbox, you get two input channels with USB interfacing. You get Pro Tools LE with any of these options.

With this hardware and included software you can record and mix a song down to a file which can burned to a cd (with another program like Toast or iTunes).

Pro Tools LE works with Windows and Mac.

You need to buy hardware to get the software.

You will find that you can be up and rocking in short order once you read the manual and play around with the program. Fun will ensue.

PC
Old 10-31-2005, 07:16 PM

Quote:
You will find that you can be up and rocking in short order once you read the manual and play around with the program. Fun will ensue.

PC
Most definetly some very important advice. Although it can be very scary at first, ProTools is amazingly simple to learn. I picked it up when I was only 13, and now the interface is second nature.

The 002 is worth the extra $1000. A control surface like that makes things move much smoother. However you go, have fun!
Old 12-01-2005, 03:54 PM

Ok thanks guys

No email notification received.

We are still mostly hardware based for most of what we do but will most definitely want to mix/master if possible on the PC. I cannot visualize how to integrate the two as it seems an either or situation.

I think we will purchase the Digi 002 with the control surface, bundled software, firewire, etc. for now. My PC don't have firewire but I am sure it can be added later.

Keyword Master. Is it true we can do our own mastering? I heard you really can't compete with the big boyz. Just checkin.

Thanks again
Dave
Old 12-01-2005, 04:58 PM

Quote:
. My PC don't have firewire but I am sure it can be added later.
If your computer doesn't have firewire, then you won't be able to use the 002 or ProTools - that's how it connects to your computer. You might want to look into an Mbox or check out the M-Powered line of interfaces for something that will work with your current computer.

As far as the mastering goes... You can do some basic quick n' dirty mastering within PT that will get your tracks up to CD level, but it's not going to compete with the big boys - not only because of the difference in quality of gear, but also because of the amount of training and experience the big guys have. If mastering was as easy as slapping a few plug-ins on, there wouldn't be people making hundreds/thousands of dollars per track out there.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:16 PM

Well it would be nice if someone can share with me the difference between the MBox and the one I am interested in purchasing. If not, no problem, I can always investigate it before making my final decision.

I thought that I could adapt my existing PC for use with FireWire. If not, I am willing to replace the mobo or whatever it takes. No problem there. Again, I can always investigate that if needed.

And I do understand that Mastering is not as easy as slapping in a few plug-ins and that it requires the expertise.

Thanks for the info

Dave
Old 12-01-2005, 07:40 PM

You can probably add a firewire PCI card to your computer to work with the 002, but I would check with the folks on the Windows LE Forum before you buy one to make sure you get one that will be compatible with your setup.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:44 PM

Good looking out guys!

Thanks Slim and to everyone for your contribution.

All advice well taken.

God Bless
Dave
Old 12-01-2005, 08:31 PM

Quote :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keyword Master. Is it true we can do our own mastering? I heard you really can't compete with the big boyz. Just checkin
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can get good loud levels within Pro Tools with some decent software compressors and limiters such as the Sony Oxford line or the waves L2 (Caution, the L2 can really kill a mix quickly). You can also add some EQ and by doing this you can actually get semi-professional results however it is not comparable to the quality of the "Big Boys" and it is in part due to there understanding of mastering and also due to there equipment.

Software Compressors have become better and better over the years and the same can be said about software EQ however it is still, in most cases, an attempted emulation of analog gear and it lacks the warmth of the circuitry and tubes in these classic compressors and equalizers. My favourite outboard units are the DBX 162SL (Compressor/Limiter) and the Avalon VT-747SP (Compressor/EQ). That having been said, those units come to a combined cost of over $4,000.
If you want semi-pro results at modest prices then stay within pro tools but if you want the ability to achieve a great mastering sound I would suggest buying one great analog mastering unit and my reccomendation is the Avalon VT-747SP. I am buying an HD3 accel Pro Tools system for my studio this spring but I will be doing most of my mastering through the Avalon.

Hope this has helped