Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Question about dropping the mix in an LE system

I have been reading up on the Venue system and must say that i am entirely impressed. I am sure that benifits from road use far exceed the perm installs as you very much limit the amount of sound gear needed, but i still see how a venue system could be a great setup for church use. Being able to head into church and have somebody that knows very little about sound go up to the console power it up and setup last weeks mix because the sound guy is awol.

Anyway this question is regarding dropping the mix into ptle. I do a lot of live recordings. I think that in this day and age anybody can make a perfect sounding studio CD even if they cant tune their instruments, but it takes real talent to be able to record a great sounding live show. I dont even like doing overdubs on recordings. The problem is when i do live recoridings i usually split my signal before the board to my 002 instead of using the d/o's in order to have as clean as signal as possible into pt and in order to avoid having any pre processed (analog or digial) dynamics or effects on my tracks. I have found that even though i am anal about my live mix that when i d/o my live mix it doesnt bode well for final recording often times limiting what i can do in the mix process of the recording. This lead me to discover that i mix entirely differently for live mixes vs recording mixes, perhaps because of the ambience of the room, the full uninterruptable dynamic range of a live pa vs digital reproduction etc.

My question about dropping the venue mix into pt le, does ptle simply record the tracks with all the effects processed by Venue or does pt le record the dry tracks and the mix is simply imported like sesssion data. For instance if i have a great live mix that i would like to mix the recording mix with will ptle import the session data to the le recording system? Like for each track, setup the eq's compressors and other pluggins in the pt le session?

Also is it possible to use the venue as a mixing console for the recorded session like an icon for post production mixing? If so can it harness the dsp power while mixing?

Thanks for any info but i would love to be able to use pt as a live mixing and recording solution in the future (perhaps sooner then i may think).

Christian
Old 08-08-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Question about dropping the mix in an LE syste

Quote:
My question about dropping the venue mix into pt le, does ptle simply record the tracks with all the effects processed by Venue or does pt le record the dry tracks and the mix is simply imported like sesssion data. For instance if i have a great live mix that i would like to mix the recording mix with will ptle import the session data to the le recording system? Like for each track, setup the eq's compressors and other pluggins in the pt le session?

Also is it possible to use the venue as a mixing console for the recorded session like an icon for post production mixing? If so can it harness the dsp power while mixing?

I think I can answer this. Our Venue is still on order, but I've been playing with the standalone software for a while. I'm guessing Sheldon can correct me where I'm off.

On the patchbay screen, you can control your sends to PT le. You can send PT direct outs which are switchable between: Top of Channel(right after the mic pre I believe), Insert Return, or Pre-Fader. My guess is the Pre-Fader setting will be after any channel processing has been done and Insert Return is after running through any plug-ins. You can also route any of the outputs(Auxes, Matrixes, Mains, or groups) to PT inputs.

So if you have say a 16 channel band mix, presently you could direct out all 16 of those to Pro Tools and then output a main stereo mix to another channel.

I am the sound director for a church, and we make use of a lot of volunteers. We'll be recording everything to Pro Tools shortly after the console is up and running because one of the things I'm looking forward to is being able to use recordings for training purposes. I can call up last week's service for the lesser experienced team members and they can practice mixing without the pressure of it being live.

Dave
Old 08-09-2005, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the heads up...i still would like to know if you can copy the session data from the venue into pt le. So that i would have a base from which to mix from. Like can i save session data and then open up the mix in pt le just like it appeard in the venue (although obviously with less tracks).

Thanks for the answer though.

Christian
Old 08-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Avid

Sorry, there is currently no way to convert a VENUE Show file to a Pro Tools session file. There are a few things that would be very difficult to convert into Pro Tools, like 24 variable level sends per channel. That said, you can transfer plug-in presets between Pro Tools and VENUE, except for the the built-in EQ and Dynamics which are unique to VENUE.

As for your other questions, you can get audio into Pro Tools LE via the methods mentioned above and also directly from a bus-fed plug-in. And no, VENUE does not control Pro Tools in any way (unless you count MTC and MMC).

-Matt