Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Updated list of compatible laptops

Please!!!! Send me an UPDATED list of laptops that I can purchase that are 100% compatible. I can not afford some of these $1200 systems. This is getting rediculous how many computers I have checked that DONT work.

I am no computer genius and this is getting out of hand for someone like me who bought an mbox2 for preproduction and a few tracks of recording.

The website has models that are two years to 3 years old and they dont make them anymore. Also links to the the models are down and when you search for their model on the manufacturers website, they only sell parts for them cause the listed laptop is ancient! I had a guy from the phone service for dell laugh at me when I told him the model number that is compatible.

Please help.

ps I made the mistake of posting this in the mac forum and I apologize for that mistake.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Updated list of compatible laptops

Here is what Digidesign posted in Feburary of this year (2007):
===================================
The following Windows laptop computers with Intel Core 2 Duo processors have been officially qualified with Pro Tools LE 7.3.1 and all Pro Tools LE USB and FireWire interfaces:

HP Compaq nw8440 Mobile Workstation
HP Compaq nw9440 Mobile Workstation
===================================
The good news is that the the nw9440 is a current model and available with Windows XP (The nw8440 has been discontinued). The bad news is the price (starting at $2799.00)! That's well above what you are willing to spend.

I agree that this list is very limited and getting outdated. Unfortunately the time it takes to certify a notebook for Protools is so long that technology often passes it by before it can be announced. In observing what I've read in these threads, most people needing a notebook for Protools have been pretty happy with the Apple Macbook Pro. It's still over $2K however.

Is a notebook a must for you? If not you can get a really nice Core 2 Duo based desktop for a great price nowadays. Core 2 Quads will cost more but offer a lot of bang for the buck. If this is an option, you should consider going with a desktop based computer rather than the notebooks. Additionally desktops are easier and cheaper to upgrade over time than notebooks.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1