Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-18-2002, 01:37 PM

Default Master faders on buss pairs / BTD from buss pairs

So far I've never used master faders on buss pairs, and have only used them on output pairs. I just want to be clear on the routing that takes place when they are used on buss pairs. Say that a stereo aux track gets it's input from a buss pair, and a master fader is created for that same buss pair. Am I correct that any audio sent to that buss pair will go though the master fader first and then to the stereo aux? Just wanted to be sure.

I tend to set up sessions with all tracks output to buss 31/32 and I set up a stereo aux that gets its input from that pair. That stereo aux is then output to outs 1/2 and also has sends to other output pairs for headphones, BTD, etc. I put mastering plugs such as L2 on that aux.

Up until now I've generally used outs 5/6 for bounce to disk, with a master fader for outs 5/6 on which I use POW-R for dither. The physical outputs 5/6 on my interface are not actually in use. If I want to use a buss pair for the bounce intead, am I correct that I should: 1) create a send on the above stereo aux to a new unused buss pair, 2) add master fader for the new buss pair, and 3) and the POW-R to that master fader?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 11-19-2002, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Master faders on buss pairs / BTD from buss pairs

Anyone? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2002, 04:47 AM

You are correct. I do the same thing because I have no CR volume. It seems to work just fine. I'm not sure I will get anything for CR volume.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:57 AM

Thanks! Yea that's why I use this setup. I go directly from my interface outs to my monitors. I'm adding a headphone amp that will use my 5/6 outputs.

Thanks again!

Tom
Old 11-19-2002, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tld:
S

I tend to set up sessions with all tracks output to buss 31/32 and I set up a stereo aux that gets its input from that pair. That stereo aux is then output to outs 1/2 and also has sends to other output pairs for headphones, BTD, etc. I put mastering plugs such as L2 on that aux.

Tom
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why not just create a master fader for buss 31/32, put your mastering effects like L1 and dither on that, and choose buss 31/32 when you bounce to disk.

-R
Old 11-19-2002, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman:
Why not just create a master fader for buss 31/32, put your mastering effects like L1 and dither on that, and choose buss 31/32 when you bounce to disk.

-R
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I assume you mean to skip the stereo aux I described in the setup. The problem is that the master fader wouldn't give me the ability to create sends for the other output pairs (for monitors, headphones etc) with their own master faders (ie my 'fake' CR volume). Also, while I want to be able to have the L1 and/or other mastering plugs audible on all of these outputs (by placing them on the aux), I'd rather have dither only on the pair being bounced...though I reallize I could just bypass it when I'm not actually doing a BTD.

Tom