Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2008, 10:04 PM

Default MacBook vs MacBook Pro

First timer here....

As a composer, I have my immediate radar on the ProTools LE/Mbox 2 Pro, yet, was wondering about compatibility with the MacBook vs. MacBook Pro.

I've heard that the MacBook actually works better but I'd rather present that issue here where it seems experienced users will know.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Avid

Where did you hear that the Macbook works better?

I have no empirical evidence to support that - in fact, the opposite is what we see, that the MacBook Pro outperforms the MacBook.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:25 PM

I was at an LA recording session and heard that MacBook was more "compatible" with ProTools LE (not necessarily faster) than the MacBook Pro.

How does MacBook Pro outperform the MacBook regarding ProTools LE?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monasmee View Post
I was at an LA recording session and heard that MacBook was more "compatible" with ProTools LE (not necessarily faster) than the MacBook Pro.

How does MacBook Pro outperform the MacBook regarding ProTools LE?
How would it be more compatible that doesn't make sense. Did you ask how or why?
Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 PM

I was told the MacBook was more "compatible" yet no details were given to me. That is why I'm coming to this discussion board. Maybe my source meant more "stable" who knows.

However, rather than attack the messenger, I'd rather hear how the MacBook Pro outperforms the MacBook when it comes to ProTools LE.

After all, I'd like to make an Apple laptop purchasing investment.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:00 AM

I have a Macbook, see my specs below. I have also been borrowing my works 17" Macbook Pro which has 2GB ram and the 256mb of Video ram. I use my laptops for video work as well as audio and i have to be honest, i really don't understand how Apple justify the difference in cost between the two. Naturally the MBP's have a higher processor speed then the MB so that would account for the neglible CPU performance increase.

Off of the audio suject, i use Motion and After Effects and i notice no performance enhancement whatsoever. Boths apps still run slowly.

The advantage to the MBP is you have the card slot where you can add extra FW ports. Given that there are a lot of MB users out there who chain there devices with no problems i'm not sure how much of an advantage that is?

Personally i use a MB and second monitor and it's a killer combo.

Just my two cents, i'm sure others may not agree.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post

Off of the audio suject, i use Motion and After Effects and i notice no performance enhancement whatsoever. Boths apps still run slowly.
I'm curious about this - as I used to have a MacBook and now have a MacBook Pro and definitely notice a difference, especially in Motion. Frame rates are almost double what I got with the MacBook.

Maybe it's the 2GB RAM? I definitely noticed a nice bump when I got 4GB - even though, prior to that, the MBP still outperformed the MB.

Don't let what I'm saying mislead you - the MacBook is a great machine and hard to beat for the money. If you're just doing audio, it's unlikely you would notice much of a difference. The advantage for other applications - well, you should do a Google search for benchmarks to get a better idea. The MBP isn't ages ahead of the MB but, in some cases, the advantages add up.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post
The advantage to the MBP is you have the card slot where you can add extra FW ports.
Thanks for your detailed response.

Does the MBP card slot use an adapter for eSATA external HD? And if so, what is the result compared to, say, FW 400/800?
Old 08-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Avid

You can get eSATA adapter cards (as well as FW, USB, etc), however keep in mind that we have not specifically tested eSATA so we're not absolutely sure it will work properly.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:23 AM

"i really don't understand how Apple justify the difference in cost between the two."

Let's see: Bigger screen, LED backlight, FW800 port, expansion card slot, alum vs. plastic, internal video card vs. Intel built in video,

I have a Macbook and I love it. But if I had my choice and $, I'd opt for the MB Pro.

Bob