Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Avid

Default Re: How long untill protools LE can run on leopard?

Update: Information on Pro Tools Compatibility for Mac OS X 10.5.3

Over the last several months, we have been working closely with Apple on fine tuning Pro Tools for OS X Leopard 10.5.3. Now that Apple has released version 10.5.3 we can enter the final stages of performance testing and quality assurance before making fully qualified versions of Pro Tools HD, LE and M-Powered software available to our customers.

As a convenience for our customers who may wish to begin their transition to Apple’s latest Leopard release as soon as possible, you can get started with pre-release versions of Pro Tools 7.4.2 that we will make available in the next few days. While the pre-release version of Pro Tools 7.4.2 has passed core internal testing requirements, the process for manufacturing fully qualified Pro Tools software normally takes up to several weeks to complete depending on performance and stability.

Stay tuned here for the latest news and updates on our progress.

Please note, however, that Pro Tools HD® 7.4.1 software is currently fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.5.1 (Leopard) when running on Apple’s current 8-core Mac Pro computers. For details on Pro Tools HD compatibility with Leopard on the 8-core Mac Pro, please visit the Pro Tools HD 7.4.1 Intel Mac Support page:
www.digidesign.com/support/hd741intelmac

As always, we appreciate your patience and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this delay has caused.

Important — Please be aware that some currently shipping plug-ins and virtual instruments are not compatible with Pro Tools running on Mac OS X Leopard and some require that you update your plug-ins if an update is available. Be sure to review the plug-in compatibility and update information here:
Pro Tools Plug-in Compatibility with Leopard
www.digidesign.com/741plugins

Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 PM

Whoa now...I know that plenty of people do not have their set-ups working and that we deserve an update from digi..i'm just asking if anything changed for anyone that updated to 10.5.3

That is all

EDIT: the guy that said that some of his stuff was working after the udpate deleted his post...that is why i posted my original question in the first place...just seeing if more were having the same results...but now it would appear that even he was wrong.

[dan]
Old 05-28-2008, 01:33 PM

okay... I'll bash.... what about those of us in MY situation....I've had a powerbook that has been running fine with tiger and 7.4, but it dies in march of this year.... do I buy an OLDER model of macbook pro just so I can use tiger for a few months (and chance having the system approved for use with software I use regularly for a shorter period of time down the road... updates are constantly throwing older models off the approved list for things like media composer and pro tools)? Or do I buy the latest model and hope that digi gets their act together? I just got bitten by the OTHER end of that equation this month with the new update of Media Composer and my G5 tower... I chose to go with a slightly older model at the time I needed a system--the latest, most stable G5 tower and if I'd bought the first generation of the Mac Pro (which I'm rather adverse to buying first generations of most systems for stability reasons...there's a great catch 22), my system would STILL be approved for use, bot alas, it isn't...

so I chose to go with the newest macbook which would ONLY run Leopard and hope for a longer life (and a quick catch up from digi).

what would you do?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Even when Digi comes out with a Leopard upgrade the LE line is still watered down product that could never match the features of Logic. I dare to challange anyone who would like to list feature for feature.
We all know that Logic (and DP, and Cubase) offer more features than Pro Tools LE...but there are certain features that only Pro Tools offers that are more important than many of the extra features that Logic offers. Believe it or not, some people actually prefer editing in Pro Tools, for instance, and don't need all of those extra features that Logic offers. Personally I rarely, if ever, need more than 32 tracks of playback at once, and prefer most of my third-party plugins to anything that's included with either Pro Tools or Logic...

Quote:
Digidesign has opted, for whatever reason, to refrain from making further "official" statements about this matter since the one and only official statement was posted to this forum nearly 2 months ago. The closest thing we've gotten to an official statement since has been an occasional post to this thread by someone in Digi Tech Support.
Why are people so intent on having Digidesign say the same thing over and over again? If there's nothing new to report what's wrong with the occasional Digi tech support comment?

Quote:
The only thing worse than wrong information is no information... and in Digi's case silence is not the way to go.
Seriously...Dave made his post a while back, we're still within the timeframe he mentioned, and nothing's really changed...what do you want to hear?

Quote:
I can run Apple software with Digi hardware but I can't run Digi software with Digi hardware on Leopard. That's really quite something if it's true.
Why is that surprising that Apple's own software (Core Audio), which runs on their own audio engine, works where Digidesign's, which runs on a different engine (DAE) doesn't, even with their own interface using Core Audio drivers?

Quote:
Digi, this is too much! This is a nightmare,I spend thousands of dollars, 7 month of talking...and in the end is Apple coming with 10.5.3 and people are still trying to figure out Dave's messages.
They've made their statement already but wow, do you start honking at red lights when the light in the other direction turns yellow?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:52 PM

Update has been posted on the web site and the forum news:

Update: Information on Pro Tools Compatibility for Mac OS X 10.5.3

Over the last several months, we have been working closely with Apple on fine tuning Pro Tools for OS X Leopard 10.5.3. Now that Apple has released version 10.5.3 we can enter the final stages of performance testing and quality assurance before making fully qualified versions of Pro Tools HD, LE and M-Powered software available to our customers.

As a convenience for our customers who may wish to begin their transition to Apple’s latest Leopard release as soon as possible, you can get started with pre-release versions of Pro Tools 7.4.2 that we will make available in the next few days. While the pre-release version of Pro Tools 7.4.2 has passed core internal testing requirements, the process for manufacturing fully qualified Pro Tools software normally takes up to several weeks to complete depending on performance and stability.

Stay tuned here for the latest news and updates on our progress.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:05 PM

so by going to version 7.4.2 you could say HD users where prioritised to get a basic leopard compatibility until a universal 7.4.2 release was issued addressing all variants HD/LE/MP?
Old 05-28-2008, 02:55 PM

I'm satisfied.

All I really ever asked for was a little more communication as to the status of this matter.

Digidesign has pretty clearly spelled things out in the news release.

Thank you.

It's not quite what I'd hoped to hear, but it's mighty close. I'm just satisfied to now have a better idea of where things stand.

Thank you.

Now we wait a little while longer.

One question: Okay, call me a cynic ("you're a cynic"), but Digi has said they won't charge for an update that merely provides new OS compatibility. So I wonder if this "pre-release version" (7.4.2) coming in the next few days, which has not gone through all the rigors of full qualification, will be the only version made available at no cost (to satisfy the OS conformity promise), but then the version that finally conforms to Digi's self-proclaimed "process for manufacturing fully qualified Pro Tools software" that typically leads to a public release actually gets introduced under a later version number...and a fee to upgrade.

Say it ain't so.

Yeah, maybe I am a little too cynical.

Meanwhile, I'm satisfied for now just to know where things stand.

We're close.

Isn't that what the Tech Support guy said earlier?

At least now we have a better idea of what that means.

Randy
"Communication. It ain't just for apes anymore."
Old 05-28-2008, 03:02 PM

on a side note - has anyone installed 10.5.3? it's huge!
I mean its seriously the largest patch i have ever installed... *shrug* okay I will stop hijacking the thread now..
Old 05-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
As a convenience for our customers who may wish to begin their transition to Apple’s latest Leopard release as soon as possible, you can get started with pre-release versions of Pro Tools 7.4.2 that we will make available in the next few days.
Get the beta or wait for the blessed version. And quit the whining. ProTools wasn't the only product affected by 10.5.2. A lot of companies would just say "everything works on 10.5.3" and not even bother will full regression testing.

No, I don't think HD users were prioritized - I think that its a lot easier to code to proprietary equipment rather than rely on Apple to make sure CoreAudio, USB, FireWire, etc. still work for every product that can connect to a Leopard machine.
OSX 10.5.5, PTLE 8
Old 05-28-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Now that Apple has released version 10.5.3 we can enter the final stages of performance testing and quality assurance before making fully qualified versions of Pro Tools HD, LE and M-Powered software available to our customers.
The final seed of 10.5.3 was released over 2 weeks now.
MacBook 2.0Ghz
DIGI 003/PTLE 8.0.3pr