Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 11:49 AM

Default Re: How do you guys get better at Protools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Wait.. what's that short cut? ...asking for a friend...
The funny thing was I was recording with Bill Stevenson at the time, and he locked the controls out of habit when he went into the tracking room to record some vocals. There was a lock icon above the multi tool and I couldn't switch modes...I was so embarrassed! Luckily the assistant engineer walked by and set me straight.

We all had a laugh because the previous day, Bill was tracking my vocals and we got about halfway thru the song with punch-ins and everything before we all realized that the talkback button was stuck in the off position and he had been talking and coaching me for a half hour and I hadn't heard a word, I just sang whenever playback was initiated.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Wait.. what's that short cut? ...asking for a friend...
Start+Shift+T
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p=1513555
Old 05-18-2019, 08:00 AM

For what it’s worth, the Avid’s Certificate courses helps PT users learn all the details of the software. I’ll be teaching these in June in New Mexico.

PM me with any questions…

Avid Pro Tools Certification Courses at NMHU in Las Vegas, New Mexico
JUNE 3-19, 2019

Pro Tools 101 (JUNE 3-4, 2019) $600.00
Pro Tools 101 is a 2-day, 16-hour beginner-oriented Avid Pro Tools Training course that covers basic principles of digital music production and recording in*Pro Tools, giving you what you need to complete a project from initial set up to final mixdown. Whether your project involves live instruments, recording*vocals, MIDI sequencing or audio looping, this Pro Tools course gives you the basic skills to succeed in basic recording and editing in Pro Tools. For students 16 years and older.*Prerequisites: Basic computer skills. Required equipment: Stereo headphones. Limited to 9 students. Avid textbook included with the course. Taught by Dr. Edward*Harrington, Certified Avid Pro Tools Instructor, in the Music Building, room 11.

Pro Tools 110 (JUNE 5-7, 2019) $1,200.00
Pro Tools 110 is a 3-day, 24-hour course, and the second of the Certified Avid Pro Tools Training courses that covers the key concepts and skills needed to*operate a Pro Tools system in a home or professional studio environment. In this Pro Tools class, you will learn to record, edit, and use the essentials of*automation, as well as work with both audio and MIDI to further your audio education. Prerequisite: Successful completion of the PT 101 course. Required*equipment: Stereo headphones. This is the second of two Pro Tools courses needed to prepare for testing for the Pro Tools User Certificate. Passing the Avid*online exam for both 101 & 110 is required for certification. Limited to 9 students. Avid textbook included with the course. For students 16 years and older. Taught by Dr. Edward*Harrington, Certified Avid Pro Tools Instructor, in the Music Building, room 11.

Pro Tools 201 (JUNE 10-11, 2019) $800.00
Pro Tools 201 is a 2-day, 16-hour Certified Avid Pro Tools Training class that teachers techniques needed to operate a sophisticated Pro Tools system in a*professional grade studio or advanced home studio environment. Students are introduced to professional Pro Tools HD systems, control surfaces and develop*advanced skills in editing, mixing, session management, and automation with Pro Tools Training as the focus. Prerequisites: Successful completion of the PT*101 & 110 courses. Required equipment: Stereo headphones. Limited to 9 students. Avid textbook included with the course. For students 16 years and older. Taught by Dr. Edward*Harrington, Certified Avid Pro Tools Instructor, in the Music Building, room 11.

Pro Tools 210M (JUNE 12-14, 2019) $1,200.00
Pro Tools 210M is a 3-day, 24-hour Certified Advanced Pro Tools class that completes the skills needed to competently operate a sophisticated Pro Tools*system in a professional level environment with a focus on music. This is the second of two Pro Tools courses needed to prepare for testing for the Pro Tools*Operator Certification in Music. Prerequisites: Successful completion of the PT 101, 110, & 201 courses. Required equipment: Stereo headphones. Passing the*Avid online exam for *both 201 & 210M is required for certification. Limited to 9 students. Avid textbook included with the course. For students 16 years and older. Taught by Dr. Edward*Harrington, Certified Avid Pro Tools Instructor, in the Music Building, room 11.

Pro Tools 310M (JUNE 17-19, 2019) $1,300.00 
This is a 3-day, 24-hour Certified Advanced Pro Tools Course for the most experienced users. Students are exposed to highly advanced editing and mixing*techniques, advanced control surfaces, troubleshooting techniques, automation and various complex plug-in processes. Prerequisites: Successful completion*of the PT 101, 110, 201, & 210M courses. Required equipment: Stereo headphones. Once you complete 310M, you may take the official Avid Expert*Certification hands-on and written exam to earn your Expert Pro Tools Certification in Music. The Avid online exam plus a tactile control (keyboard) of Pro*Tools is required for certification. Limited to 5 students. Avid textbook included with the course. For students 16 years and older. Taught by Dr. Edward Harrington, Certified Avid Pro Tools*Instructor, in the Music Building, room 11.

WHAT AVID CERTIFICATION PROVIDES:
CERTIFICATION BENEFITS 
Avid certification provides a number of tangible benefits to both certified individuals and the organizations they work for, either now or in the future.*

For individuals Avid certification provides
• Industry recognition of proven expertise in a given Avid product or role
• The ability to advance your career with measurable value to employers*
• Entry in Avid's Certification Registry accessible via the*Find a Certified Professional*online listing, as well as a Certificate of Achievement
• A certification logo to add to marketing materials, websites, business cards to differentiate yourself and your organization
• Access to the ACSR technical community for peer to peer communication (ACSRs only)
For employers Avid certification provides
• Ability to find the right person for the job, quickly assessing candidate skill level
• Confidence in your teams ability’s and skills with Avid solutions
• Capability to invest in and promote your most promising employees
• Greater system performance, with little to no downtime

New Mexico Highlands University is an Avid Learning Partner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-18-2019, 10:21 AM

No one in Audio Post production (major studios) or music has ever cared about "Avid Certification" for Pro Tools.

Everyone is just more interested in what you can do (while they watch) and "training" doesn't get you there -- experience does. How to get better: spend time with people who are great in their audio fields picking up the workflow as you go. Each discipline uses a whole different subset of features (or in a different way) than others.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:30 PM

Avid should make their certification tests free, the way Audinate does with their Dante Certifications.

And $1,200 for a certification course is rediculous. They should be $50 per day at most. Yamaha and Audinate’s course are free. So is Digico. Meyer Sound now only charges about $50 per day also. And a 3 day Smaart course is only $750. All of those have a much more practical benefit than a Protools course. And Avid should let you test out of at least the first couple levels for free also.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One