Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2015, 09:05 PM

Default Midi note volume automation

Anyone knows how i can automate the volume of a single note within a midi track ?

Let say i'm recorded a legato string part with root, third and fifth and i want to fade out only the third. Thx
Old 01-21-2015, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Midi note volume automation

Fade out and volume are 2 different functions(and I am not sure which you really want). If a note needs to be louder or softer, there are at least 2 ways to do this. 1-click on the midi note and go to the real-time midi settings at the top of the EDIT window. Click and drag the velocity number up/down as needed. 2-add a lane to your midi/instrument track and select it to show Velocity. Find the note and drag its velocity value up/down by clicking on the appropriate velocity "stalk"(the tiny diamond at the top of the vertical line).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-22-2015, 03:50 AM

Move the one part you want to automate to a different MIDI track and channel on the same VI or to a separate instance of the VI.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 01-22-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Fade out and volume are 2 different functions(and I am not sure which you really want). If a note needs to be louder or softer, there are at least 2 ways to do this. 1-click on the midi note and go to the real-time midi settings at the top of the EDIT window. Click and drag the velocity number up/down as needed. 2-add a lane to your midi/instrument track and select it to show Velocity. Find the note and drag its velocity value up/down by clicking on the appropriate velocity "stalk"(the tiny diamond at the top of the vertical line).
Another two are to change the note velocity in the MIDI Event List window; drag the velocity stalk up and down in the MIDI editor window.

This is what I find neat in PT - different ways to accomplish the same thing.

QAPLA!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:37 AM

Can anyone explain how to set all notes on a track to one velocity globally. A snare or a kick for instance. How do I select all for one note and type a velocity value?
Old 01-15-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysee6 View Post
Can anyone explain how to set all notes on a track to one velocity globally. A snare or a kick for instance. How do I select all for one note and type a velocity value?
You could try and select the notes you want, do a right click and select change velocity from the menu that comes up. Or if you need to do this on a regular basis split the notes to separate tracks by pitch and change the velocities on each track. Just remember to feed each of those separated tracks to your drum vi on one channel.

QAPLA!
Old 01-15-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysee6 View Post
Easiest way, if I understand you correctly, is to use MIDI realtime properties. In the edit window right-click on the track's little keyboard-like graphics and set the velocity.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Easiest way, if I understand you correctly, is to use MIDI realtime properties. In the edit window right-click on the track's little keyboard-like graphics and set the velocity.
The problem with doing it in a blanket way is you can't do what rickysee wants to do; he only wants to change the velocities of certain notes which is important when dealing with drum tracks where each note represents a different drum. For instance in a GM drum map the note at B0 is a kick drum, D1 is a snare drum, etc. Say you want to bring up just the snare drum velocities - you need to select JUST the snare drum notes. So yes - use MIDI realtime properties BUT only on certain notes.

QAPLA!
Old 01-16-2016, 05:49 AM

Thank you, my first post on here. Yes I realized that I could highlight all the snares (in midi editor) and select event operations / change velocity and input the value. Perfect