Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2008, 08:26 PM

Default Pro Tools 8 / Sync I/O / Internal VSO

I would like to know if this is a correct setup and expectation.

*In PT 8 I have SYNC as the clock for an HD 1 Setup.
*Internal VSO is the clock reference

Here's the issue:

In order to see the word "Generate" as the positional reference. I HAVE to select LTC on the transport. On the sync I/O, internal/VSO is lit up, as well as "generate" when I have LTC selected on the transport.

When I don't select LTC on the transport, It reads "LTC" for the positional reference in PT 8 and on the sync I/O, the timecode read out does not run when I hit play in PT 8.

Internal/VSO is still selected but LTC is lit up on the sync I/O. It moves from "generate" without LTC selected on the transport.

The sync I/O's timecode read out runs with PT 8 when I have LTC selected on the transport. If I don't have LTC selected, The timecode read out does not run on the sync I/O.

Am I supposed to select LTC on the transport while in internal/VSO in order to be able to use the "generate" preset or is there something incorrect about this configuration?

I have the 1.2.1 firmware loaded in the sync I/O.

I only do audio so I am at 30 non drop. Everything locks up no problem.

It syncs well with LTC selected in the transport but without it selected it remains at 00:00:00:00 but PT 8 is running.

I have the appropriate cable that came with the sync I/O. I'm just not sure whether this is expected behavior.

Any clarity on this situation will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tru
Old 12-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Evergreen Audio Design Group

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 / Sync I/O / Internal VSO

Tru,

The basic functionality between Pro Tools 8 and earlier versions of Pro Tools is the same with respect to generating and chasing LTC.

In PT 8, there is a new button in the Synchronization section of the transport window that says "Gen LTC". When this button is selected, PT will generate LTC.

PT cannot chase and generate LTC at the same time (There is the ability of regenerating the chased LTC signal, but that is slightly different).

If you are are set to Internal/VSO, the "Positional Reference" popup in the Session Setup Window will give you the options of LTC, Serial TC, Bi-Phase, etc. This is the positional reference PT will chase when PT is Online.

When PT is chasing LTC (that is, PT is online), you cannot be in generate mode. You will notice that the Online button and the Gen LTC button are mutually exclusive.

This is true, except for...

When you chase serial TC (using PT MachineControl), you can control PT generating or not generating LTC. To rephrase that, when you chase serial TC via the MachineControl Sony 9-pin protocol, you can choose to generate LTC or not.

I hope all of this is not too confusing. One of the goals of creating separate, dedicated buttons for online, Gen LTC, Gen MTC, etc was to make all of these mode a little easier to understand and use.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:00 AM

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Bob. I appreciate it.

The interesting part about this is that I never select the online button.

I select Internal/VSO for the clock - LTC shows up as the position reference as it should.

I hit play on the transport in PT 8. The timecode on the sync i/o does not move.

With internal /VSO still selected as the clock, I hit the Gen LTC button on the transport.

I hit play on the transport in PT 8. The timecode on the sync i/o follows PT 8.

I was going to try the MMC option but my MoBo does not have a 9 pin connection. It's an AN8 sli board.

My main concern is whether or not this is expected behavior or is something amiss.

I have the HD 1 with a 96i/o - command 8 - with the sync i/o.

I am connected via the 8 pin cable from the sync i/o to the core card.

If the clock is using internal/VSO, shouldn't the sync i/o readout follow PT 8 without having to select Gen LTC?

Thanks so much for you help

Tru
Old 12-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Evergreen Audio Design Group

Tru,

The SYNC will only update the readout when it is generating or chasing time code.

For it to generate time code, Pro Tools must be in Gen LTC mode (button selected on the transport window).

The SYNC and MachineControl are only supported on a Pro Tools HD system. These options do not work with Pro Tools LE.

The SYNC will generate MTC. There is an option to turn this on in the SYNC settings in the Peripherals dialog (I can't remember if this is on by default or not). The SYNC will generate MTC along side the LTC. The Gen MTC button only controls the MTC out of your MIDI device (that's a little confusing, I know).
Old 12-24-2008, 08:47 AM

O.K. very cool sir. The way you are explaining it is awesome and very clear.

Apparently I am following correct protocol by selecting Gen LTC in the transport.

I have an HD 1 with PT 8, a 96 I/O - Command 8 - Sync I/O.

I am actually getting MTC to work perferctly with an MPC 60 mkII with the 3.10e OS installed. I have the MTC out of the Sync I/O going

to the midi in of the Command 8. In PT 8, I have MTC going out of the Command 8 midi port 2, to the midi in 1 of the MPC 60.

I select the Gen MTC option on the transport and the MPC starts up fine.

When I have both Gen MTC and Gen LTC selected in the transport, everything locks up perfectly and the Sync I/O timecode readout

runs nicely.

I just thought it was weird that the Sync I/O readout wasn't running with just internalVSO selected.

I now understand that I must select the Gen LTC option on the transport for that to happen.

Many thanks Bob. I really appreciate your patience and assistance.

Tru
Old 05-04-2016, 06:49 AM

Hello you guys!! I have a problem with the sync device of avid and the Digidesign 192, technically when you plug in the the serial host of the SYNC device to the PRO TOOLS CORE CARD(in computer) and loop source of the sync to the digidesign 192 when opening pro tools in the session setup clock source should appear….or in SETUP-PERIPHERALS-SYNCHRONIZATION window you could adjust the setting and device or PORT….but it doesnt even appear there…its like the computer cant see the sync device and i cant put it so its the master clock….please help me