Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-05-2003, 07:28 PM

Default Anyone know how to do this....Time Stretch...

OK, so you've thought you were saving huge amounts of time by only singing one chorus in the song. Singers are now gone, and you realize that the next time the chorus happens, the BPM is different. Say it's 130 the first chorus, and 133 the next chorus.
Oops.

I'm really green at time stretching and whatnot....is there a way to take all the vocal tracks and make them work over the second chorus now? Thanks for any tips....
Old 10-05-2003, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Anyone know how to do this....Time Stretch...

I'm not a huge fan of stretching vocals, but what you can try is Serato Ptich 'n Time.
You can for instance dial in 133bpm from 130bpm and viola, however, this plugin, including Speed from Wave Mechanics colour the sound in a "metallic" kind of way.
I don't know how it sounds above 48K, like 96 or even 192...
But it's worth the try, if you consider that the sound is not perfectly kept intact..
Old 10-05-2003, 09:38 PM

You could try Digi's own Expansion plug-in in the audiosuite menu. I would take it one phrase/line at a time. You just punch in the original tempo and the new desired tempo. It won't sound as good as Serato or WM Speed Plug-in. But it's worth a shot. 130-133 isn't that big of a difference. But it can be hard to make a vocal groove the same way when you are time stretching it... Also, Like the other post said, you might get a metallic-like distortion. Good Luck.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:38 PM

Pitch´n Time & Speed are ssssssooooo over rated IMO. It's not many times that I've been able to get a decent sound from these plugs and this is even when doing minor changes in tempo. They're mostly useful when creating cool effects.

I've still found that the best timestretcher for vocals is the good old TimeBandit from Steinberg. It is only 16-bits but still kicks a** comparing to the others....

-Robert
Old 10-05-2003, 10:54 PM

With all due respect to the opinions above, I would use Pitch 'n' Time without a moment's hesitation- I think it does a really good job. Did not care for Speed.

Just highlight the selection you want to time stretch, invoke Pitch 'n' Time, make sure the listed input tempo is correct, specify the output tempo you want, hit the process button and there you are. Or you can set Pro Tools up to invoke it from the Time-stretching Trimmer tool.

I believe Waves just came out with a time stretcher- might be worth checking out.

Most of these programs have limited time, downloadable demos, that would allow you to try them and draw your own conclusions.

Good Luck,

JG
Old 10-05-2003, 11:50 PM

O.K. Here is the real deal on all of this stuff. First of all none of the Compression /expansion
software versions are up to the task of stretching vocals. They all ruin the sound period.
The very best For stretching, believe it or not is the Digi Audiosuite plug in OSX Pt6. It is far superior to P&T Or Speed. If you are still on OS9, Serato P&T is the best.

All of that being said, The best way to handle your situation is to Split up your phrases manually.
Mark your down beats, (or grid to your drummer) and move the down beats of the phrases to the new locations. 3 beats at that tempo will not be difficult. If you like you can Stretch a version of the vocal to use as a guide only if you want to match the timing perfectly. Stretch it on a new track and cut in the main vocal to fit. Sounds complicated, but give it a try! Good luck
Old 10-06-2003, 07:10 AM

Seems to me your all missing the Trimmer/TCE Tool?

What I do, is group the tracks you want to edit, trim each vocal phrase (not too long) so the regions start and end points are the same across all of the tracks. Then, copy the whole section (ex. chorus 1) to chorus 2 so that it starts correctly, then trim (with the TCE) the back end of each phrase until your happy with it. As long as the tracks are grouped, it's a single undo if your not happy, and you can try it again.

Hope this makes sense.

I don't know, what d'you think?
Old 10-06-2003, 07:13 AM

Copy the 1st chorus (the whole thing) to the 2nd.
Get the drummer to follow a click next time.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:49 AM

Beat Detective is the way to go.
Use your BassDrumm track as a "guide", then select all your vocal tracks and make the regions, comp the tracks, smooth and you are done.... no chumpy monky sound of TimeCompression....
Old 10-06-2003, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Beat Detective is the way to go.
Use your BassDrumm track as a "guide", then select all your vocal tracks and make the regions, comp the tracks, smooth and you are done.... no chumpy monky sound of TimeCompression....
DON'T DO THIS!!! Even with extensive crossfades, you'll hear pops on your tracks where your edits are.