Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2003, 02:47 AM

Default Dolby Surround Tools questions.......

hello all,
I'm using the plugs ins for a TV show and am having some problems. I've taken my 5.1 mix and folded it down according to their manual.

Questions

I'm sending my LCRS channels with exactly -20 tone into the encoder and the encoder output shows a level quite a bit over -20 and the channels are unbalanced (the left is hotter). This can't be right. Is the intent to use the input trims to make the encoder output -20 or should the four inputs read -20?

What's the best way to correct for this inbalance when I layback to DA88?

The manual says to reduce the LsRs to -3 db when folding down but the templates included with the plugins say -6db.

Can I compensate for the lower monitoring level of the surrounds when bussing the single S to LsRs without recalibrating?

Do I need to compensate for any latency when laying off the LTRT to D88?

Do people fold down the LFE to C like the manual says or LCR?

Dialog peaks? I know -10 is the max level overall but what should dialog be at for tv? -12, -14 ? I usually lean towards -14 on other stuff.

I really appreciate any help anyone can offer. I know the first time is always a killer. Thanks
Old 07-31-2003, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Dolby Surround Tools questions.......

Your levels on the output will be hot with -20 on all inputs, but it should not be unbalanced left to right. Double check your sends to the encoder, and check decoded levels with program as a final check. I don't put any LFE into the Lt Rt, but when I have, it goes to center. The best level for the surrounds depends how much material is in the Ls Rs in the 5.1. I listen and make my final setting based on the sound of the decoded LtRt. Usually about -3 to -4 works good. Hope that helps.