Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 07-27-2020, 01:33 PM

Default Pro Tools 2020.5 poor performance + Crashes

since upgrading to Pro Tools 2020.5 it's been performing poorly.

Sessions that used to run without a hitch are now causing a "CPU overload" error all the time. The application also crashes a lot more than it used to.

Has anyone else been experiencing this? Any suggestions?

These session can get pretty heavy but as I've said before upgrading they were running smoothly. Sadly that's not the case anymore. Seems this version of Pro Tools is much less capable than even 2020.3 was.

-
I'm running PT 2020.5 on MBP 2018 2.6 GHz, 32 GB memory.
MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

Last edited by mmezrich; 07-28-2020 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Made a mistake with PT version (it's really 2020.5)
Old 07-27-2020, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.6 poor performance + Crashes

Uh? There is no Pro Tools 2020.6. The latest/current release is 2020.5.

If you have early access product from Avid, this is not the place to take issues.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.5 poor performance + Crashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Uh? There is no Pro Tools 2020.6. The latest/current release is 2020.5.

If you have early access product from Avid, this is not the place to take issues.
You're right my mistake - I was looking at the "avid link" number and accidentally hit that. I meant to write 2020.5 and am changing that now. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Last edited by mmezrich; 07-28-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmezrich View Post
You're right my mistake - I was looking at the "avid link" number and accidentally hit that. I meant to write 2020. and am changing that now. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
2020 what? There is 2020.3 and 2020.5. And there was no 2020.4, these are year.month codes, not sequence numbers. You really need to provide details on what standard troubleshooting you have done. Start at "help us help you" up the top of each web page.

Both 2020.3 and 2020.5 have been generally good releases for folks, with some concern maybe about 2020.5 on Windows for CPU heavy workloads (and workarounds for that).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-28-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
since upgrading to Pro Tools 2020.5 it's been performing poorly.

Sessions that used to run without a hitch are now causing a "CPU overload" error all the time. The application also crashes a lot more than it used to.
It crashes with a CPU Overload? Or also crashes some other way?

Some other way... does your Pro Tools log file show anything interesting?

The number one thing to suspect is plugin compatibility issue, yes even of it worked OK before.

Are all you plugins up to date?

Where is your session stored? On the MBP internal SSD?

What interface? What sample rate? what IO buffer size?

So quick summary of usual troubleshooting steps for CPU issues.

o Uncheck ignore errors. Set the IO buffer size low enough to you just start getting errors, and test like that.. you want to see errors frequently enough, and only frequently enough, to troubleshoot by changing things to see if changes improve things or not.

o Set disk cache to enough size to fully cache you session (watch the Pro Tools cache meter go green then you start testing).

o Trash Prefs (use PT Prefs http://petegates.com/pg-pt-prefs.html). PT Prefs also prints plugin versions so you can check if they are all up to date.

o Check the computer is fully optimized. Do every last thing for now, however inconvenient, for now.

o Check using Built-In Output (or similar on your Mac) as the playback engine, just the output, no aggregate device.

o Check other sessions or using a totally empty session and adding audio to that.

o Move all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder, trash prefs and try again (Pro Tools will automagically restore the default plugins). If that works add back plugins in bartches until you see a problem... even better if you can run the latest plugin installers for the third party plugins.

o Create a new Admin user and try from that account.

-- still problems next step may be a test clean install of macOS on a spare drive or container (aka partition).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-28-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
You're right my mistake - I was looking at the "avid link" number and accidentally hit that. I meant to write 2020.5 and am changing that now. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Quote:
2020 what? There is 2020.3 and 2020.5. And there was no 2020.4, these are year.month codes, not sequence numbers. You really need to provide details on what standard troubleshooting you have done. Start at "help us help you" up the top of each web page.

Both 2020.3 and 2020.5 hav been generally good releases for folks, with some concern maybe about 2020.5 on Windows for CPU heavy workloads (and workarounds for that).
It's version 2020.5. I'm moving fast as I’m trying to deal with this while managing tight deadlines (and the frequent errors and crashes aren’t helping with that). And yes I upgraded from the previous version released - guess it was 2020.3 if that’s the last one that was available.

My system went from not giving me a "CPU overload" error to doing it quite a bit. Yes, my sessions can be a bit heavy, bus as I’ve said, that wasn’t an issue until the upgrade to 2020.5 Also, my system went from not crashing when working on Pro Tools to crashing at least once a day, and often several times a day. Aside from upgrading to the new version of Pro Tools from the previous one, nothing at all has changed. Not sure what troubleshooting steps would be best to take here, but I'm open to advice (as long is it's given in a courteous manner). Yes, my plugins are all up to date and again - to reiterate - everything was working without a hitch until the upgrade. So, it seems reasonable to me that if there was a plugin issue it would have been causing the crashed in 2020.3 as well.

I'm running PT 2020.5 on MBP 2018 2.6 GHz, 32 GB memory.
MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

Interfaces are UA Apollo units. 2 X-16, one Apollo quad thunderbolt, and one UAD-2 quad thunderbolt satellite, running the latest UAD drivers - 9.12.1 05-15-2020 build 66956

I'm aware this can be caused by many aspects of my system but find it noteworthy that the only thing that was changed was upgrading to the latest version of PT when this behavior started.

Any additional information that might be helpful will be happily provided if requested respectfully.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:31 PM

Ok, but nobody here can guess what is going on. When you have time it would be great if you explain more what happens with a "crash" and look at a log which could might give useful info. and also answer more of those questions above.

You are in the same situation as *many* other users with Pro Tools. Folks who upgrade Pro Tools and things get bad. You have to troubleshoot. And again, plugins compatibility is alway the first suspected with CPU errors. Even if it worked fine before on the previous version. I get you are saying the only thing you have changed is the Pro Tools version. Your surprise at that being able to cause these kinds of issues is not unusual. Maybe it's not the plugin compatibility, the only way to know is to troubleshoot.

Pulling out all those .aaxplugin files and testing a session can be as quick as a few minutes... or longer. If you have sessions that use enough standard plugins and the issues was happening frequently enough then hopefully you can run some quick tests there.

I've given you exact troubleshooting steps to follow, you can also get most of those by reading though "help us help you" so I'm not sure what else you are asking for.

If you don't have time to deal with it now just reinstall 2020.3 (or maybe you have already?).

BTW I flip a high-end 2019 MBP between booting Mojave and Catalina, both running 2020.5 and it's been very solid for me. Was recently doing Pro Tools load tests trying to find a GPU bug running sessions larger than I usually do and I was impressed by CPU performance including at smaller IO buffer sizes.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-28-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Both 2020.3 and 2020.5 have been generally good releases for folks, with some concern maybe about 2020.5 on Windows for CPU heavy workloads (and workarounds for that).
Hey Darryl, can you share some of those workarounds? I found the 2020 releases really good with CPU, but maybe that was 2020.3. I'm on 2020.5 now, and recently (CPU-wise) it's like a step back. I'm getting really odd issues with PT stalling etc. I've cleaned up and re-installed, but I'm still not 100% happy.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Hey Darryl, can you share some of those workarounds? I found the 2020 releases really good with CPU, but maybe that was 2020.3. I'm on 2020.5 now, and recently (CPU-wise) it's like a step back. I'm getting really odd issues with PT stalling etc. I've cleaned up and re-installed, but I'm still not 100% happy.
Hi Les.

What I'm talking about has been discussed on DUC in some detail but not easy to find. If you search for "affinity" and say "2020.5" you might find stuff. But here is a start: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p=2568279 and http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=410535

Note workload is still plugin dependent, so how much setting affinity helps or not, and what settings for hyperthreading or dynamic plugin processing etc work best... I would always treat them as things to experiment with. I barely use Windows with Pro Tools so am not the person for deeper advice here. You might want to jump on some of the existing threads. There have been ideas kicking around about renicing Pro Tools on Macs but I'm not sure that's needed or related to 2020.5... anecdotally this seems to be more a Windows thing with this release.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:54 PM

DUC warning: the response from mmezrich (now on my ignore list) to me trying to help him in this thread was two rambling PMs about how rude I am being to him. You folks may want to read the thread and judge for yourselves before spending your time trying to help him.