Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 05:50 PM

Default A Cheap ProTools System That Will Play TDM-HD Songs?

There are times when I'd like to take some simple projects from my HD rig and transfer them onto my laptop so I can do some basic stuff when I'm on the road. Mostly editing stereo mixes, sort of like what a lot of people would use Bias Peak for. Or comping vocal tracks. No mixing or anything like that. Then transfer back to the PT HD rig to finish the songs.

Sooo . . . if I bought a cheap non-TDM ProTools, like LE or whatever it is they sell now, would that program read a song created on an HD rig? I assume I'd have to manually swap out any TDM effect plugins for RTAS equivalents . . . or is that even possible? In other words, would the RTAS ProTools look at the song created on TDM-HD and just say, "Nope, ain't loadin' it!"

And if this would all work, which is the cheapest ProTools that would work for me? The work I'm talking about doing is basic. Very few tracks. Heck, I can even deal with no effects if it's necessary to make it compatible.

In fact, will my ProTools 7.3 software that I already have work with my MacPro without any PCI cards? That would certainly be the cheapest if it would work!

FWIW, I have already have Peak and Logic and if I have to, that's what I'll resort to. But I'd really like to keep it all ProTools for these particular songs.

Thanks for any advice on this!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: A Cheap ProTools System That Will Play TDM-HD Songs?

Hi Mike,

If high sample rates are not an issue, then an M-Box Mini is just the ticket (you can only go up to 48kHz). I think they go for about $300, and you'll be able to run full ProTools LE sessions with it. You can do 32 tracks of audio, and your processing power is only limited by your computer. I just bought a MacBook for $1250 CDN, an M-Box Mini for a little more than $300 CDN, and I juiced it up with the "Music Production Toolkit" which allows me to run up to 48 stereo tracks, full multi-track beat detective, and comes the 'Smack' plugin and the 'Hybrid' synth (I think), and TL Space Native.

There's a whole pile of extra crap that comes with ProTools LE (Ignition Pack). Light versions of stuff like Reason, Live, BFD, etc... It comes with 'Amplitube' as well, which is useful for messing things up a bit!

Honestly, I can't belive how powerful this damned thing is... I can run a whole pile of reverbs, delays, compressors, and the CPU meter barely moves.

Anyhow, if you already have a laptop, $300 will get you going!

The session files are totally compatible (back and forth). The only thing you'll have to mess with is the I/O setup (and maybe the Playback Engine) when you go back and forth.

Hope some of this info helps...
Cheers, eh?
Old 09-08-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:

In fact, will my ProTools 7.3 software that I already have work with my MacPro without any PCI cards? That would certainly be the cheapest if it would work!
No and you already answered "why"

There is currently no PT software that will run without hardware attached. It's the biggest dongle in showbiz! Two actually if you need any iLok plugs!

Way back when there was a little program called ProTools Free which did exactly this. Beg as we might, Digi doesn't seem to want to go down this road. I wish they would though. I would love to be able to do basic editing of tracks without even something as small as an mbox mini attached.

No naked ProTools.

Sorry.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:31 PM

I am sure this has been beaten to death on this forum..... but, regardless....
I never had PT Free, and did not realize that one could run it without hardware attached.!!! So it CAN be done. Besides the "obvious", is there a reason (a reasonable reason ) that at least some version that "travels well"is not availabe. How many times have I sat on a plane a wanted to do some edits... and even with an M-box mini find it too cumbersome. i gotta have room for my peanuts and such.

Solution... PTHDT (49.95 for HD owners).. with the T being for travel... for HD users (ie. buyers) who want to edit on the run. BETTER solution... just let LE open without hardware. Perhaps there is a technological reason that this is impossible....?.. or has not been implemented?
Once again, if this has been belabored here, just post a link. Every search I tried came up with way too much to sort through.. or nothing. Thanks, SB
Old 09-08-2007, 01:43 PM

Thanks folks! Those are the answers I needed.

Looks like I'm getting a $300 dongle (aka M-Box Mini.)
Old 09-08-2007, 03:02 PM

There is also, PT MPowered and a Transit. Better for taveling than a Mbox Mini, but it doesn't have any real I/O except for Headphone out.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp