Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-04-2008, 04:54 PM

Default PT 5.1 wont read files w/ \'PC\' icons on my G4?

Hey guys,

I did a bit of searching and couldnt find anything on my problem. So here goes.....

I have a G4, 001, and PT 5.1. I have been using this same system since it came out a long long time ago...LOL

For some odd reason, 1 of my songs has files in its audio folder that the icon reads 'PC'? How did this happen? I hate PC's....J/K

When i open the song in PT, the drum tracks are missing. The drums are on the console, and in the edit window, but no actual audio...? When i go into the actual audio files folder of that song, the drums are there, but the icon reads 'PC'?

Any help with this would be EXTREMELY appreciated. I really dont want to re-do 10 drums tracks.....LOL

Thanks,

MG
Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 PM

Default Re: PT 5.1 wont read files w/ \'PC\' icons on my G4?

Did you ever transfer the session across a SMB share (SMB:// or CIFS://) on a network? If so try bringing the session back over with AFP://

If thats not the case can you give a bit more history of the session?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply...

Well, the only thing i did different this time around, was i stored all my Master recording files on an external hard drive (firewire). I would drag 1 song over to my G4 and work on it. When done, i would drag it back to the external, and drag a new one over....I did this with 3 different songs over the past couple months with no problems.

When i got to the last song, i tried to open it and the drums and other files were missing. Thats when i went checking around and saw that the files were labled 'PC'....

Im no pro, but this sounds like what you described, yes? If so, i could really use some help getting them back.

Thanks again,

MG
Old 01-04-2008, 06:10 PM

Sounds like something has gone on with that funky resource fork thingy that macs have.

Try repairing permissions on the FW drive and see if that helps. This is to be found in the disk utility.

If that doesn't work there is a way to change that icon. I don't have my mac handy right now and I'm not a huge mac person, but if you "get info" on the file I think there is a way to change what is opens with - make it like the working files. That will at least change the icon and possibley fix the resource fork.

I don't know if its just the icon (association) being the problem or a secondary symptom. PT 5.1 is before I used PT. More recent versions of PT have ways to re-link the audio files back into the session on ression open - I don't know if 5.1 has this or can do it.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 PM

I know how to use the disk utility, but im not familiar with the FW drive? can you elaborate?

In OS9 you cannot tell it what program to use from the info window, only in OSX. Does anyone know how to do it in OS9?

I think the actual files are there and fine. Judging by the size of each one. Weird. I will snoop around my PT and see if i can find a file linking option.

Thanks again,
Old 01-07-2008, 09:15 AM

Hey guys,

I have tried everytihng, and no luck. Does anyone have any other ideas? I really dont want to have to re-do this stuff. And now im scared that it might happen again?

Help!

Thanks
Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Avid

If I recall correctly, you should be able to open those files with SoundHack and re-save them in their original format. SoundHack should rebuild the resource fork and allow you to use the files again...

Another recommendation - backup, backup, backup. That means 3 copies of anything that's important...!
Old 01-07-2008, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the help!

It says that program is for OSX? Am i supposed to use it in OSX, change the files, then open them in Pro Tools in OS9? Im a bit confused?...

Oh well, im downloading now, and will try it out....

Thanks again
Old 01-07-2008, 05:58 PM

Here is a pic of the files labled "PC" and info for one of them to the left. I have paypal in hand to anyone who can fix this .

Digitec support: When I open the files in SoundHack, it says the files are "Headerless"...but they still open. Does this have any significance? Also, is there a way to convert a whole folder...or do they have to be done file by file?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:17 PM

Sounds like this is the same problem http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...20&Main=713741

I'd follow the recommendations there.