Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2015, 01:56 AM

Default Re: S3 or D-command?

Great video, now what's sad is that avid owns Eucon....so that means they could write that functionality into the software. The only thing stopping them from doing this is A desire to make the product awesome, so if you never see increased functionality it's b/c they don't want to do it.....sad.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
I'd worked on Icon controllers in 2006-2008, then briefly on Control24, then when Pro Tools 10 came with well integrated Eucon I used Artist Mix, Transport and Control. Last year I briefly used S3. Having this much experience working with Pro Tools control surfaces I switched back to Icon D-Command this year. And there are no words that I could use to say how much faster and more productive it is than Artist Series, including S3.

What you might not know is that there is a preference in Icon where you can set it to automatic focus and it is nice and useful, while it is absolutely horrible on Eucon surfaces. The main difference is: when you open up a EQ or Dynamics plugin using mouse in Pro Tools, the channel becomes automatically focused and you control the plugin on Icon's EQ or Dynamics section. Eucon will not focus automatically a plugin selected in Pro Tools. You have to select it from the surface. And so far, I've seen this is still the case even on S6. Even cheap Command8 is better in this regard, see my video I posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faqwPMq_Kqo
I use a controller so I don't have to select anything with a mouse.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 08-19-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
The original blue D-Commands end of support date was December 2014
the ES D-Command end of support date is August 2018

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/f...-support-dates

Have you checked out the features on the S3?
It does some really cool stuff…

Thanks,
Tom
You guys would be crucifying yourselves be intentionally bricking any version of the d- command in the future!

You have risked screwing the smaller market guys with bricking the ProControl, but you have way too many D-Comnands installed in the video world, not even the Avid of today is that stupid!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-20-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
You guys would be crucifying yourselves be intentionally bricking any version of the d- command in the future!

You have risked screwing the smaller market guys with bricking the ProControl, but you have way too many D-Comnands installed in the video world, not even the Avid of today is that stupid!
1st gen D Commands/Controls use the exact same profile as their 2nd gen counterparts. So while the official line is end of support in 2014 for 1st gen, the reality is 2018 for both from a software perspective. Parts is a different story of course.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:44 AM

Don't some of the new controllers (S series) require a support plan (paid) for software updates? The D-Command doesn't of course. Best...H
Old 08-20-2015, 11:59 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logichead View Post
Don't some of the new controllers (S series) require a support plan (paid) for software updates? The D-Command doesn't of course. Best...H
Hi - Yes the S6 customers need to be on a current support plan for their S6 to receive software functionality updates (and likely be matched withe the latest version of Pro Tools software on a plan if there are key features linked to Pro Tools like in the latest 2.0 version - automation lanes on the scrolling waveforms on the M40 Display Modules)

The S3 customers only need to be on a Pro Tools support plan to get the latest features and functionality.

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 08-20-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Hi - Yes the S6 customers need to be on a current support plan for their S6 to receive software functionality updates (and likely be matched withe the latest version of Pro Tools software on a plan if there are key features linked to Pro Tools like in the latest 2.0 version - automation lanes on the scrolling waveforms on the M40 Display Modules)

The S3 customers only need to be on a Pro Tools support plan to get the latest features and functionality.
How much S6 support plan is?
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 08-20-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:

You guys are burying such a deep hole for yourselves, I makes me sick to my stomach thinking I'm so relied on your products........I can imagine the annual budget meeting right now, they guy who convinced everyone that they needed to shell out all this money on a new controller, now has to go back and tell them that they have to spend 600..00 for every single copy of PT they own in their facility just to keep that expensive S6 operating properly.......I'd bet the farm that not one single decision maker in regards to upgrading to the S6 ever thought for one second that they would have to pay an annual subscription plan. That guy is now worried that his reputation is now tarnished. You have to imagine that they had D-Commands before the S6 upgrade. Already hard to justify an ROI for the S6 upgrade, then they annual penalty plan.......Its not like these facilities just have one copy of PTHD.

Tell me one rational person who spends 50-75k on a big mouse would think its acceptable that they have to spend another 600 a year minimum just to keep it working.......

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-20-2015, 06:19 PM

Default S3 or D-command?

You know I thought the same thing at first, but then I realized that if they bought a S6 they aren't worried about $600 pesos.

I bet they are worried they don't have it fully pimped with the first version of software for that S6, at that price point I would expect nothing less than awesome.

I mean you buy a Mercedes, you expect awesomeness from day one.....continually, there are no excuses
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
You know I thought the same thing at first, but then I realized that if they bought a S6 they aren't worried about $600 pesos.

I bet they are worried they don't have it fully pimped with the first version of software for that S6, at that price point I would expect nothing less than awesome.

I mean you buy a Mercedes, you expect awesomeness from day one.....continually, there are no excuses
Here is the kicker, most of these type places have 10 or more PTHD licenses, so its not 600, its 6K plus a year.

Also, keep in mind, this applies to the S3 too, a 4k controller.......