Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 PM

Exclamation DYI I guess..No power on your new Mbox Pro 3? I fixed it!!!

Hi Everyone - first off let me start by saying that I just got an Mbox 3 Pro - I'm building my first studio so I'm really noob when it comes to this stuff specifically..but don't get me wrong, I own a computer repair company and I'm very tech savvy - so the first thing I did when my brand new Mbox pro 3 didn't power up is google it up and was ultimately directed to this thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=288537

Long story short, I went balls out and took matters into my own hands rather than dealing with returning/waiting/BSing with CS to possibly get another bad unit......

I opened my new MBOX - now I didn't know where to start so I took every single knob and screw out before discovering the whole thing slides out with just 4 screws that are hidden under the rubber feet on the bottom of the unit. (Image below)

crap is there no image posting on this forum??
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7061/60389858.jpg

SO, moving on...there ended up being an IDE like looking cable that was totally unhooked!! (See pic below) I plugged it in, plugged in the power, and low and behold, (7 seconds after hitting the power switch) I HAD POWER!

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/6154/85786064.jpg

Please keep in mind that I had to do some bending of the 2 plates to be able to fit my fingers in there to push one end in, and used a regular sized flathead to push the other end in - be careful with the flathead, you don't want to hit/touch ANY of the components in there.

Here is a pic of the back plate....there are 2 kinds of screws that hold everything together, I'm not sure that you need to take any of them out to do this but in case you do, I've circled the 5 screws that are different than all of the other ones so you know what goes where when you put the unit back together.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5631/76177594.jpg

Hit the power switch and give it a few seconds, if it powers on, grab your blue moon and cheers who ever is closest to you!

A few important points:
  • This probably voids your warranty, so keep that in mind before grabbing any screw drivers!
  • Just because this worked for me, doesn't mean it will work for you, you may have an entirely different issue
  • The Mbox 3 Pro doesn't need *anything but the power supply plugged in to power up* not even the firewire cable!!
  • I don't come on here ever, as a matter a fact this is my first post so PMs may not do you much
  • ^^to add to that, I don't know much about these things so I probably wouldn't be much help anyway, even if I was answering PMs
  • AVID, I have nothing bad to say, still love ya and hope you learn from this epic mistake
Old 01-13-2011, 06:48 AM

Default Re: DYI I guess..No power on your new Mbox Pro 3? I fixed it!!!

Nicely done

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Excellent post.

Could have come loose due to shipping.
But it also could have been poor manufacturing QC.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 AM

Thanks for this, i had the same issue, opened up the Mbox Pro 3, and the cable in mine was disconnected as well. Re-seated the cable and voila, it worked. I'm in west africa and the nearest avid rep is a long way away :)
Old 01-21-2011, 03:22 AM

It Worked!!! I unscrewed the four screws hidden behind the cushy pads (took abit of force) and voila! There has the unstuck cable, same as your pic...Took a few small fingers and a long object to stick it back in place!

You..are..a....genius.

I suggest you try this if you have NO power to your mbox 3 pro at all.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica45 View Post
You..are..a....genius.
ohh stop it
Old 01-31-2011, 09:03 PM

hey nstabl great work, here i am dealing with an mbox 3 pro too, but my problem it is that the reverb does not sound, i do the normal routing, but still dead, inside the box can you recognize where it's the reverb? i am waiting for open the box for the warranty so if you can help me with that it would apreciate a lot.

thanks !
Old 02-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafejo View Post
hey nstabl great work, here i am dealing with an mbox 3 pro too, but my problem it is that the reverb does not sound, i do the normal routing, but still dead, inside the box can you recognize where it's the reverb? i am waiting for open the box for the warranty so if you can help me with that it would apreciate a lot.

thanks !
Sorry, can't really help you there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstabl View Post
  • I don't know much about these things so I probably wouldn't be much help anyway
Old 02-07-2011, 04:29 PM

Sounds like a bit of an oversight on the assembly line, possibly due to the fact that previous versions didn't need a power supply and someone forgot to tell the assembly techs that these new versions need the power supply connected
Good for your for finding the fix. I am sure it will save a lot of people wasted time in sending units back.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafejo View Post

thanks !
I think when you open the box there will be a big spring, or series of plates, depending on the chosen reverb, that will need to be connected.