Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-17-2018, 02:39 PM

Default latency when recording

when im recording im not getting any latency its when i finish recording and i playback my take and its a bit off...in fl studio i dont have this problem...ive tried delay compensation but its useless...i have basic eq compresser n auto tune when im recording...with a buffer size of 64 any ideas on what it could be?
Old 10-17-2018, 05:21 PM

Default Re: latency when recording

No idea without lots more info on your system. Help Us Help You

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 10-17-2018, 10:05 PM

and what is the expected latency of auto tube how you have it running?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
No idea without lots more info on your system. Help Us Help You
i have a dell xps 8920 i7 quad core...24gb memory..baby face pro as my audio interface...i have auto tune directly on the track when recording
Old 10-23-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
and what is the expected latency of auto tube how you have it running?

Yes, how much latency is introduced for each plugin?

On a related note - why are you recording with Autotune on the track? Not saying it's wrong to do so, but it isn't often the best way of using Autotune.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 10-23-2018, 10:28 PM

Again not a lot of useful info.

What version of Auto Tune? Latest stuff? How is it being used? ... Autotune can have horrendous latency. What is the expected latency for how it's being used... see the documentation. What is the ADC latency reported by Pro Tools?

As Chris points out lots of folks would not record though Auto Tune.

There are probably lots of ways to skin this cat, e.g. you can try dual track (record same input to another track) totally dry. Hopefully that one is time aligned correctly. Then just use that at mix time.

Autotune may be reporting latency wrong to Pro Tools. Lots of troubleshooting could be one here, measuring the exact latency, etc. dows it work OK without the compressor? Without auto Tune? but how much time is with it is worth you to experiment with that. Who knows.

Again details... what exact compressor? What's the expected latency of that plugin?
Old 10-24-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Again not a lot of useful info.

What version of Auto Tune? Latest stuff? How is it being used? ... Autotune can have horrendous latency. What is the expected latency for how it's being used... see the documentation. What is the ADC latency reported by Pro Tools?

As Chris points out lots of folks would not record though Auto Tune.

There are probably lots of ways to skin this cat, e.g. you can try dual track (record same input to another track) totally dry. Hopefully that one is time aligned correctly. Then just use that at mix time.

Autotune may be reporting latency wrong to Pro Tools. Lots of troubleshooting could be one here, measuring the exact latency, etc. dows it work OK without the compressor? Without auto Tune? but how much time is with it is worth you to experiment with that. Who knows.

Again details... what exact compressor? What's the expected latency of that plugin?
im new to protools so i wouldn't know how to measure the exact latency of the plugins...but im using the blue cat audio patchwork plugin to run autotune 8 since i dont have the aax version of auto tune 8..i have an api 2500 compressor on the track..when recording without auto tune theres no latency at all its only when i run autotune i have the low latency box checked in auto tune 8
Old 10-24-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yl956 View Post
im new to protools so i wouldn't know how to measure the exact latency of the plugins...but im using the blue cat audio patchwork plugin to run autotune 8 since i dont have the aax version of auto tune 8..i have an api 2500 compressor on the track..when recording without auto tune theres no latency at all its only when i run autotune i have the low latency box checked in auto tune 8

If you legitimately own Autotune, you’d have the AAX version. They don’t sell licenses for the different formats individually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2018, 08:20 AM

Go to View>Mix Window>check the Delay Compensation option. That opens a row across the bottom of the MIX window that shows plugin latency

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-24-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Go to View>Mix Window>check the Delay Compensation option. That opens a row across the bottom of the MIX window that shows plugin latency
What Dave is describing shows the latency the plugin is reporting to Pro Tools. That's different than *measuring* the latency. You hope both agree, they should. In rare cases they don't.

The first problem here is bluecat, get that layer of complexity out of there. Who knows how well latency for this plugin is reported via all that ball of string. There is no reason to be using that here. That you have all this crap configured like this is the sort of useful information that should have been provided in your first post describing what you are doing.

Waves API 2500 compressor is zero latency, so not even an ADC issue there, but still remove it while troubleshooting. Remove everything, get a new empty session and add AAX AutoTune and see how that behaves. You coudl have exra problem in the current session with say more complex routing/bussing. If the new session misbehaves then start measuring latency, ADC reported latency, etc. Then how are you using AutoTune? What version is it? Low latency mode? etc. what is the expected latency of that plugin...