Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 08-21-2017, 07:58 AM

Default MIDI Studio Setup in Windows 10 [SOLVED]

Can anyone tell me the steps to get to Midi Studio Setup in Windows 10? I don't see it in the Control Panel Sounds or else I'm missing something. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:21 AM

Default Re: MIDI Studio Setup in Windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioman1973 View Post
Can anyone tell me the steps to get to Midi Studio Setup in Windows 10? I don't see it in the Control Panel Sounds or else I'm missing something. Thanks.
What exactly are you trying to configure? For the moment, let's assume you have some kind of keyboard controller and it connects with a USB cable;
Step 1-install the driver from the keyboard manufacturer
Step 2-after a reboot, open Pro Tools. Go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. Create a new "Instrument" and name it as you like.(brand and model are not important) Set the Input Port(this is the crucial setting). It should be available on a short list(example: if the keyboard was made by Akai, you would see something like Akai S49 USB[Emulated]).

In any case, it all happens in that menu inside of Pro Tools. Its all about telling PT where to look for incoming midi information

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-21-2017, 10:06 AM

Thanks Albee. I know all that and have done it in Windows 7 many times but when I tried to go directly to mss in Windows 10 I couldn't find it. When I get home tonight I'll try getting to it from inside the Protools menus. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:59 AM

There is no "midi studio setup" in Windows. It is within Pro Tools. The only thing you do in Windows is verify in the Device Manager that the drivers and device are recognized.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 08-21-2017, 11:25 AM

So it's different than the Mac. When I was running a Mac you could actually go into the audio/midi setup outside of Protools and make connections between your midi interface and controllers.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
So it's different than the Mac. When I was running a Mac you could actually go into the audio/midi setup outside of Protools and make connections between your midi interface and controllers.
Yes, completely different. Here is a video I did recently for our website on installing and setting up basic midi functionality on Windows for Pro Tools.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1FOCBxYGT8

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 08-21-2017, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. I must be mentally reverting back to my Mac days because for some reason I thought I remembered in Windows 7 going into The Control Panel then Sounds and seeing a tab for Midi Studio Setup. Must be my imagination in overdrive. It has been a long time ago.
My situation is trying to set up an Axiom Pro 61 in a friend's home studio and the controller getting the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark in Device Manager even though it does say it's an Axiom Pro in Device Manager. When I downloaded the really old looking driver for it from the M-audio website it says it is supposed to be complaint with Windows 10 but I keep getting a Windows error message and it won't install. I saw in your video from the link you provided you were able to install the driver for your regular Axiom. Not sure what the difference would be between it and the Axiom Pro but I couldn't get it to install. I am going into the computer through USB from the controller. I 'm thinking even if I run the controller through Midi in and out with cables and a Midi interface box without drivers for the keyboard it still won't work, isn't that correct?
Old 08-21-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I must be mentally reverting back to my Mac days because for some reason I thought I remembered in Windows 7 going into The Control Panel then Sounds and seeing a tab for Midi Studio Setup. Must be my imagination in overdrive. It has been a long time ago.
My situation is trying to set up an Axiom Pro 61 in a friend's home studio and the controller getting the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark in Device Manager even though it does say it's an Axiom Pro in Device Manager. When I downloaded the really old looking driver for it from the M-audio website it says it is supposed to be complaint with Windows 10 but I keep getting a Windows error message and it won't install. I saw in your video from the link you provided you were able to install the driver for your regular Axiom. Not sure what the difference would be between it and the Axiom Pro but I couldn't get it to install. I am going into the computer through USB from the controller. I 'm thinking even if I run the controller through Midi in and out with cables and a Midi interface box without drivers for the keyboard it still won't work, isn't that correct?
A couple thoughts, It should install the base drivers automatically. I would manually uninstall the driver, then unplug the Axiom. Restart the computer, then plug it back in and see if the driver is found and installed. I am not 100% sure, you may want to be sure you are in a USB 1 or 2 port. Some older drivers do not like USB 3-Xhci. If you are getting the symbol you mention, it is not going to function or be recognized period.

The driver error, I would need it to be specific. It could be a signing error due to the age of the driver and requirements that have changed. There are ways to get around it though.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 08-22-2017, 07:31 AM

Thanks everyone for the help. As it turns out even though I have the yellow triangle in Device Manager under Other Devices the Axiom Pro is being recognized in Sound, video and game controllers. I checked there after watching the video from your link and noticed that's where your Axiom showed up. So now working and all is well. MIDI Studio Setup also properly configured. Thanks again.