Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2009, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Shan!! Need help_Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar97 View Post
One quick observation. How do you get it to work on stereo channel 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 etc? I only see one channel being sent to rewire
Use ReWire output 7-8 of course. When you see it, you'll figure it out. The screenshots should give you the, "I see the light!" moment once you try it out a few times. Even confused me at first.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-04-2009, 07:25 PM

Any news on this front? Do you now have a successful VI host for PT? My "how to" examples were quickly thrown together with no real world usage as of yet so keep us posted.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-06-2009, 07:08 PM

Shane,

I followed your instructions to the letter and I keep getting a weird problem. No matter what VI I use I get distorted playback. They work just fine running REAPER in standalone - in slave mode into PT it's a different story.

any ideas?

really appreciate your posts on this topic - a huge help.

cheers,

James
Old 05-06-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjeunes View Post
Shane,

I followed your instructions to the letter and I keep getting a weird problem. No matter what VI I use I get distorted playback. They work just fine running REAPER in standalone - in slave mode into PT it's a different story.

any ideas?
Since I wont be around my audio rig for a few days can you describe the distortion? Guitar amp turned up to 11 type of distortion? Digital clipping? Clicks and pops? Everything is out of sync distortion?

Also, what version of Reaper are you using to be your VI host for PT?

Shane

Old 05-06-2009, 07:21 PM

that was fast! I'm using 2.57 I see 2.58 is available so I'll see if that makes a difference.

the distortion is like a fizzy digital distortion - if I try an electric piano it sounds like I'm playing it thru a commodore 64.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
that was fast! I'm using 2.57 I see 2.58 is available so I'll see if that makes a difference.

the distortion is like a fizzy digital distortion - if I try an electric piano it sounds like I'm playing it thru a commodore 64.
Same here.

I am also wondering if you arm record on reaper or on protools and where does the midi notes show up on the reaper track or the protools track?

I am still trying to make it work. It sure would be nice to use my Kontakt again.

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 05-06-2009, 07:44 PM

OK, I got it working. I changed the playback engine hardware buffer in PT from 64 to 128 samples and now it's as clear as a bell. Since I'm currently running nothing but that one track in PT (and I can usually run 20+ tracks at 64) I'm not sure why there's an issue with the lower latency unless that brings up some sort of compatibility thing with REAPER. Anyway, 128 is good enough for me and now I can run a bunch of VI's that wouldn't run in PT8. Yay!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar97 View Post
Same here.

I am also wondering if you arm record on reaper or on protools
Reaper is being used as a VI host so it's setting would be Record: disable (input monitoring only).

Quote:
and where does the midi notes show up on the reaper track or the protools track?
In Pro Tools of course, as per your request. Hit record in PT and away you go. Your using Reaper like an external hardware synth in this manner. Think of it like that and you should be good to go.

Quote:
I am still trying to make it work. It sure would be nice to use my Kontakt again.
What part of it isn't working? The Track template here is all setup and ready to go.

Shane

Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
OK, I got it working. I changed the playback engine hardware buffer in PT from 64 to 128 samples and now it's as clear as a bell...Anyway, 128 is good enough for me and now I can run a bunch of VI's that wouldn't run in PT8. Yay!
Good news to hear! I'll have a look at this in a few days and see if we can get it down to 64. Reaper has some deep settings that can be messed with in this area.

Anywhozel, sounds like we've got a good alternative VI host working now. Poor RTAS.

Shane

Old 05-06-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
... and now I can run a bunch of VI's that wouldn't run in PT8. Yay!
...and with MIDI to Audio rendering that can be dragged straight into PT from REAPER. You'll never do a real time bounce of MIDI to audio again once you do that a few times.

Shane