Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-28-2006, 12:34 PM

Default Me again

So i was having buffer issues with my pt and digi 002r. My computer is compatable (gone over in older posts) the buffer errors were the ones that say "conflicting with other tasks, increase buffer size" and the other buffer error that says "deacres buffer setting" doing either would not help and i would not be able to play or record anything.
so a couple of days ago i got it to work, I didnt change anything at all, i just opened a new session (48 khz, 16 bit) and i got it to record smoothly, i had 13 tracks recording at once all with 2 dverbs on them (i just just trying to test how good my new comp was) and i recorded liek that for more then a few minutes. after that, i took older sessions from my new computer (which were 96khz and 24 bit) and mixed those down and played around... i was very happy.

now all of a sudden its giving me the damn buffer errors again. its very frustrating to say the least...I have my cpu usage window open and all the bars are near nothing, so my computer isnt choking for an odd reason. maybe im not disabling my wireless internet correctly, how would i do it other then just disabling it at the start up menu? any other thoughts?

does anyone have any suggestions?

-melty
Old 07-28-2006, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Me again

You need a separate physical disk for audio sessions.

From your sandra report:
Quote:
Physical Storage Devices
Hard Disk : ST910021AS (93GB)
It has, and is, always been recommended that you record audio sessions to a separate physical disk.

You really should take a look at the Hard Disk Requirements. Checking compatibility is one of the first things in the General Troubleshooting thread, which you said in another post you already went through.

As mentioned on the Hard Disk Requirement page, 96k sessions require more disk throughput (hence the recommendation that you use two separate physical hard drives to acheive 32 with 96k)

A separate hard drive has been recommended to you multiple times now...

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-28-2006, 06:28 PM

yaeh, and im saying that its not running using either a 96khz project or a 44.1 session. AND that i had gotten it to work with a 96khz session for several hours. I figured that since i had it working for a long while with no problems that my hardware is NOT the case for the unreliablity of my pro-tools. Im not convinced enough that the reason for the buffer errors is my lack of a second hardrive and im not willing to spend 200$ for a fix that in my min dwill probably not fix the problem. My current hardrive should be more then enough to run at least 1 track on a 44.1 khz 16 bit session, the meter bars show that my cpu and hardrive are very far from choking.

I think its a software thing becuase i HAVE gotten it to work, and if it was hardware then i should have never gotten it to work in the first place.

anyone else?
Old 07-28-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I figured that since i had it working for a long while with no problems that my hardware is NOT the case for the unreliablity of my pro-tools. Im not convinced enough that the reason for the buffer errors is my lack of a second hardrive and im not willing to spend 200$ for a fix that in my min dwill probably not fix the problem.
Good luck with that.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 07-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Last time I checked, a new 120 gig westernd digital 8mb cache HD was only about 100 dollars Canadian.
Anyway, it would seem that you have either changed some computer config, or changed one or two of your preferences in PT.

First, have you added any new plug ins? One bad plugin and your system is toast. Have you changed your open ended recording allocation size? Try making it a max of 10 mins. What is your DAE buffer at? Did your drives get changed somehow out of DMA mode?
Have you tried all the reccomendations in the trouble shooting thread?
Why not restore your system to the point in time when your computer WAS working properly? You did make a restore point right? Are you on a pentium computer? If so, are you putting a dither before any reverb?

As you can see the list goes on and on.

Good luck, and just so you know, an external audio drive will make a world of difference, especially if you have a lot of edits in your session, even if it is only 8 traks.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 07-28-2006, 09:37 PM

ok if i were to go out and buy a external hardrive, can it be usb? or just firewire? My laptop only has 1 firewire port (which is where the rack goes) so im not sure where id plug a firewire hardrive in...

what would my options be?

-melty
Old 07-28-2006, 10:05 PM

Good god man...............why dont you do a little investigation here in the DUC. You need (As SPK has told you over and over......An external firewire drive!!) You can daisychain it with your system................the answers are here. Do some research!

...Dog
Mac Pro 2.66 Quad
Adam A7
Waves Gold, VSeries
Pultec Bundle
URS, McDSP
Old 07-29-2006, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Me again *DELETED*

Post deleted by zombie69
Old 07-29-2006, 09:56 AM

I'm going to bite my tongue and be the nice guy and continue to try to help you out; direct you to the information you are looking for (which you claimed that you already read, and which I already provided links to in several of your threads).

The 002r Support Page (which, by the way is referenced in the General Troubleshooting thread) has all kinds of information, including a link under the Hard Drive Win header to "FireWire Hard Drive Win" which also has most of the information you are looking for regarding firewire drives.

Regarding daisy chaining devices when only one port is available, it is supported, but it is recommended that you chain the drive first, then the 002r. (that's how I do it with my laptop and 002r and it works great)

Old 07-29-2006, 10:00 AM

Also, from the information you posted about your current hard drive:
Quote:
Physical Storage Devices
Hard Disk : ST910021AS (93GB)
Here's some info about your hard drive from the Seagate site:
Model Number:ST910021ASYour hard drive
Capacity:100 GBOK
Speed:7200 rpmOK
Seek time:10.5 ms avgNOT! Read the requirements; your hard drive is NOT compatible.
Interface:SATA 1.5Gb/sOK

If you have read the Hard Disk Requirements page I linked you to, you would have caught this little tidbit:
Quote:
Minimum speed of 7200 RPM & average seek time of less than 10.0 ms
You can moan and complain about it being the software's fault all you want, but if you are not going to run the software on the required hardware, the fault is yours.