Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-08-2006, 12:01 PM

Default recording drums

Hey, I just got a 002 after using an mbox and other stuff for a couple years. Im just wondering how most of you guys record drums with just the 002 (no octopre or anything). Do you give the bass, snare, and room mics their own tracks and mix everything else to the line inputs or what?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Default Re: recording drums

You will need 8 pres

Kick
Snare
Snare Bottom
Hat
Tom
Floor
OH Hat
OH Ride

Chances are that if you are having to only use 8 ins to record your drums, the room you are in is not worth recording. Use TL Space and create a good room sound if you need one. A bad room can ruin a good drum recording.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 07-08-2006, 02:03 PM

Yeah i understand that, but i only have 2 mic pres. So I can plug 4 mics directly into the 002 and 2 more mics will go through a mic pre. I also have a crappy 6 channel behringer mixer sitting around somewhere, can I use that as a mic pre as well?
What would be the best way to send everything to the 002 with what i have?
Old 07-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Space Cabin Audio

The 002 pre's are probably better than the Be***** ones, but they have no pads, so if your drummer hits hard, then you will have to use the B* ones. Maybe your OH's could use your 002 pres' depending on how you use them (ie: more cymbals than drums, or more of a complete drum picture.) Keep in mind that the more you use your OH's for a complete drum picture in an acoustcally crappy room the more room you will get. A good drum recording is possible, but make sure your drums are TUNED PROPERLY. That is the single most important part about drum recording.
Drum recording is hard task to master, and takes a long time to achieve results, but it is also the most fun Watch phase between your mics . There will be time differences between each drum, but, make sure that no frequencies are being cancelled or increased in a negative way.
For instance, I will ususally record a Kick Drum with 2 Fet 47's, one on the beater and one on the front head. I will move them until they cancel the freq I want. With saying that, I also have the luxury of using a vintage API console with 550A eq's. I have gotten great drum results using a Mackie 1604 to the inputs of my 001(RIP) using just crappy Apex Drum mics. I cannot stress drum tuning enough.
Hope this helps

Kris
May the music move you
Old 07-08-2006, 02:55 PM

Ok, that all makes sense, but let me explain in greater detail what I plan to do.
I plan on plugging the bass drum, snare, and two overhead mics directly into the 002's pres 1-4.
Then plugging the hat and toms into mic pres then out to the 002's line inputs 5 and 6.
Then plugging any other mics I want into the Beh****** mixer, and mixing them to 002 line inputs 7 and 8.

Does that sound good or should I do anything differently? Any suggestions would be great.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Space Cabin Audio

How many toms are you recording? Are you sure you want to submix the HH into the toms? I think that is not a great Idea. Maybe submix your hat into your OH's, if you even need a HH mic. Is the drummer an infamous HH basher? Assess the drummers ability. Can he play to a click, will you need to replace shots here and there for consistency, do you plan on using samples to layer the sound, how is the drummers dynamics, can he "Mix Himself" or will you have to do a lot of work to make it happen. If you submix, you are stuck. With only 8 ins, skip the room mics. The simpler you keep it, the more control you will have in the end

Kris
May the music move you
Old 07-08-2006, 08:32 PM

This is a basic template that I start with for the most part.

TRACKING TEMPLATE

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 07-10-2006, 11:44 AM

Thanks alot for your guys' help. Also what kind of mic should I be using for cymbols and hat?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Space Cabin Audio

AKG 451's if your budget allows.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 07-10-2006, 12:46 PM

Erik,
Most of us would opt for Cardioid Condenser Microphones..
The sound you're after, as well as the kit, room and mostly...your budget will dictate the choice.
Prices range from just around $100 to way up to several thousands..

BTW.. "cymbols" is actually = cymbals !
Don't feel bad, many PT users make this same mistake..

happy tooling,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring