How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 03-15-2020, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Come On 20.

Pretty interesting perspective of some people
Because they don't like a subscription model they hope Avid "goes down"

I am reminded of the woodsman that sits on tree limb and saws the limb on the side towards the tree

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-15-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Pretty interesting perspective of some people
Because they don't like a subscription model they hope Avid "goes down"

I am reminded of the woodsman that sits on tree limb and saws the limb on the side towards the tree
I've been a literally daily user of PT for almost 20 years now, I built my business around it and I love the software.
I'm not going to reiterate all the f-ups and overs Avid did along the way. I don't want PT to go under, I'd like to see it in a company's hands that handles things in a less cash grabby more passionate towards delivering a great product-y way.

If you're happy with how Avid handles things - that's cool. I'm not, deal with it.

Edit: I'm not even mad about the subscription model. I don't mind paying good money for good tools I use everyday. I mind paying rent for nothing, though.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-15-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yea, of course. I like train analogies. Or any moving vehicle analogies

I have been commuting between Tampere and Helsinki for ages. Only 90min train, but when things go south the train may have to wait 30min between two last stations. The same train originates from Oulu, which is about 500km north of Tampere and the business ticket for whole trip costs almost as much as flight ticket.

You can only imagine how creative business men are in swearing when it happens that the fast train they bought expensive ticket for is stuck waiting for city light rail trains moving and bums traveling for free.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 03-15-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
I've been a literally daily user of PT for almost 20 years now, I built my business around it and I love the software.
I'm not going to reiterate all the f-ups and overs Avid did along the way. I don't want PT to go under, I'd like to see it in a company's hands that handles things in a less cash grabby more passionate towards delivering a great product-y way.

If you're happy with how Avid handles things - that's cool. I'm not, deal with it.

Edit: I'm not even mad about the subscription model. I don't mind paying good money for good tools I use everyday. I mind paying rent for nothing, though.
Having used PT for 20 has no bearing on how credible, logical , realistic, or well thought through , your desire for "avid to go down" is. The potential for that to be a disaster is at least as as much if not greater, then for that to be of any actual benefit. Could Avid do things better well duh,

But having them take their time to roll out a new version (that will hopefully be less buggy) than if they rushed it out , is arguably a plus not a minus, Deal with it.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-15-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Having used PT for 20 has no bearing on how credible, logical , realistic, or well thought through , your desire for "avid to go down" is. The potential for that to be a disaster is at least as as much if not greater, then for that to be of any actual benefit. Could Avid do things better well duh,

But having them take their time to roll out a new version (that will hopefully be less buggy) than if they rushed it out , is arguably a plus not a minus, Deal with it.
My desire doesn't need to be credible, logical or realistic. It's a desire, not a prophecy.
And stating that I'm a long time user was not intended to give my desire any bearing. I was rather hinting to me coming from a time, when Avid had to put work into PT in order to make money off it. A mandatory paid subscription to receive bugfixes is bonkers, and people who defend it belong into some kind of asylum if you ask me (which hardly anybody does, and that is fine, too.)
I don't know how well thought through your stance is, if you're okay with paying Avid for (not even) quarterly bugfix releases. But I'm starting to form an opinion.

However, this is a forum. People share opinions. I don't like people, you don't like opinions that differ from yours. Let's both deal with it.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-15-2020, 12:18 PM

There are no more bugfixes as we have used to know them. As in a software "tree" that has versions X.Y.Z (major release, feature release, bugfix release). That model is no more.

The software "tree" of PT no longer has branches. Avid releases when there is a significant new feature to be released and/or significant bug squashed.

Why so few releases? Avid has a beta testing team that is mostly volunteers. It takes time to get relevant input back to Engineering.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Avid releases when there is a significant new feature to be released and/or significant bug squashed.
The video engine has a huge bug that needs to be fixed, and hasn't been in - I guess it's almost a year now?
The undo bug - lingering around for over a year, which is a significant bug.
We have no full Catalina-support.

Quote:
There are no more bugfixes as we have used to know them.
That's exactly the point. The new model sucks, because there's no incentive for Avid to do bugfixes. They get the money anyways and continue to get paid, because they have users hostage. If there are bugs, and people have to pay until those bugs are fixed - why would they be in a hurry to fix them? It's exactly what we see. Hardly a coincidence.

Avid promised regular and faster bugfix releases when they introduced this model. Not only did they not deliver on that. They purposely slowed the process down.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-15-2020, 12:32 PM

You have right to your opinion, but I for one don't miss those days when we got random CS releases every now and then. Also knowing those CS releases didn't go through proper beta testing, it is my opinion that more releases is not better.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
You have right to your opinion, but I for one don't miss those days when we got random CS releases every now and then. Also knowing those CS releases didn't go through proper beta testing, it is my opinion that more releases is not better.
I don't ask for more releases to have more releases, but to have bugs fixed.

Quote:
Why so few releases? Avid has a beta testing team that is mostly volunteers. It takes time to get relevant input back to Engineering.
Dude, is this seriously how you are trying to defend that? I'm not even going to dignify that with a response, that is preposterous.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-15-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Dude, is this seriously how you are trying to defend that?
Not defending, just stating the obvious. I talk as someone who actually used to be in that beta team (PT 7-10) and know how slow it is to find a root cause to even a relatively simple bug.

Sometimes it takes regression testing to many versions before someone actually spotted the bug. Then once you know where it last worked and have tons of changes done after that which may or may not affect to the situation, it is clear that some things need to be prioritized to get anything done.

All you can do is open a support case for any bug you find. Avid has a process for dealing with support cases. But process for "whining" on user forum is /dev/null