Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-30-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Me again

oh and doesnt it need 2 firewire ports on the external hardrive if i want to daisychain it?
Old 07-30-2006, 02:45 PM

I don't know if you can put an additional SATA drive in your laptop, mine is a desktop with extra drive bays. As far as daisy chaining the firewire, what are you going to daisy chain to? I have an 002r which is firewire and has an exta port on the back, but I believe you should be able to just plug the firewire directly into your laptop. I did notice that you Dawg and I believe Anastasia are using hp laptops, I wonder if there is a pattern here or just coincidence.
Sorry I can't help more, but definately take the advice spkguitar has given, he knows his stuff.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:49 PM

yeah i have a 002r aswell, and my laptop has only 1 fireiwre port, so i can have my external drive and 002r plug in to my laptop at the same time. my understanding is, i plug my external drive into my laptop, and then plug my 002r into the external drive... is that how i would do it? OR? do i plug my 002r into my laptop, and use the 2nd 6pin port on my 002r and plug that into my external drive?

how would i configure this in pt?
Old 07-30-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Regarding daisy chaining devices when only one port is available, it is supported, but it is recommended that you chain the drive first, then the 002r. (that's how I do it with my laptop and 002r and it works great)

Already gave you this answer...

It's one of the reasons we as users here are getting frustrated with you; you aren't even listening to the advice you asked for.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-30-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
...EVEN if the hardrive i have is NOT supported does that explain why i was able to record more then needed with a large amount of plug-ins? IF the problem was hardware, more inportantly the hardrive, WOULD I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO RECORD a bunch of tracks with dverbs? then the next day not be able to run a click track all by itsself with no edits or plug-ins?

..lets just pretend the problem is NOT hardware, and its software. Lets try and figure it out, and try all we can to fix it through software,...
Ok, I've been observing this thread for awhile and will chime in since you would like to try and find a 'software' solution.

Another major cause for alot of these types of errors are actually plug-ins, believe it or not. Which many seem to ignore.

Here is a similar problem.

And the solution.

Try deleting all your plug-ins except the stock Digidesign plug-ins. Work with PT for a bit and see what happens. This could be a plug-in issue.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 07-30-2006, 05:45 PM

ok so i went out and got an external hardrive

its a maxtor ontouch II external drive. firewire 800. oxford 912 chipset. 7200 rpm, average seek time of 9.0.

all that seems to be compatable.

I dont know exactly how to daisychain it correctly thoug. So far i have plugged my external drive via firewire to my laptop, then my digi 002r via firewire to my external hardrive.

I just can not get pro-tools to recognize pt through the external hardrive.

how do i do this? is this a good hardrive for my setup?

thanks for the tip about the plug-ins, i would have tested to see if it was the plug ins, but i dont have any plugins besides the ones that come with pt.

-melty
Old 07-30-2006, 09:42 PM

ok well i got pt to run through the maxtor, i moved my sessions onto the external hardrive..

open pro-tools, open an older session or a new one, and guess what...

it doesnt work.

Im still getting the same buffer errors. Im pretty stumped up to this point.

Here are the things i have done, maybe you guys can point me in another direction.

So now my system requirments all have been met, including having an external hardrive that meets requirments.
I have gone to the trouble shooting page, and done all the xp tweaks and such, Diabled all devices including networking and wireless internets, moved things off the startup menu (except the digidesign needed one)

anything else i can tweak? and if so how do i do it?

-melty
Old 07-31-2006, 04:52 AM

Have you set USB root hubs to always on in the device manager third tab? I posted erlier that a FW drive will not solve the problem. I have same set up with same results running external FW or internal drives.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:11 AM

Please read this thread here.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:33 PM

I don't know if anyone has told you this but make sure your hard drives are in DMA mode. I know a few people who have had the buffer problem and it was because of that.

Go to the device manager and expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers menu. Then double click each of the controllers and make sure they are all DMA if available. Then restart your computer.

Also is your computer used just for audio recording?