Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2017, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Anyone figure out how to play system sounds through HD Omni?

and make sure that your system is set to use the optical out of your system sounds card... make it 2 channel SPDIF instead of ADAT.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 05-08-2018, 05:38 AM

Reviving this thread. I've had this working but now it's randomly stopped playing through the Omni. The setup is what it should be and it was working for a brief second this morning but then I started PT and it stopped. As it's running through the digi in and the mixer is passing sound through it doesn't matter if PT is running or not.

Anyone had this problem? I'm on OSX 12.10.6, PT 2018.4,2012 mac mini.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan2006 View Post
Reviving this thread. I've had this working but now it's randomly stopped playing through the Omni. The setup is what it should be and it was working for a brief second this morning but then I started PT and it stopped. As it's running through the digi in and the mixer is passing sound through it doesn't matter if PT is running or not.

Anyone had this problem? I'm on OSX 12.10.6, PT 2018.4,2012 mac mini.

We really cannot guess exactly what you are doing, are you taking the TOSLINK digital audio output from the mac mini into the Omni? Or what things like “is what it should be” actually means. Or what you exactly mean by “digi in”.

What does the Mac’s Audio MIDI setup show? What exactly does the Omni mixer settings show? What troubleshooting steps have you tried? My first would be to power cycle everything, next to plug the TOSLINK cables into a portable DAC or similar device and see if it is working. Enough TOSLINK problems get caused by loose optical cables, or if you swapped cables by things like dust caps jammed into the socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
We really cannot guess exactly what you are doing, are you taking the TOSLINK digital audio output from the mac mini into the Omni? Or what things like “is what it should be” actually means. Or what you exactly mean by “digi in”.

What does the Mac’s Audio MIDI setup show? What exactly does the Omni mixer settings show? What troubleshooting steps have you tried? My first would be to power cycle everything, next to plug the TOSLINK cables into a portable DAC or similar device and see if it is working. Enough TOSLINK problems get caused by loose optical cables, or if you swapped cables by things like dust caps jammed into the socket.

In the context of the thread it seemed implied. But, fair dues. Mac digi out to ADAT in. I've done the usual troubleshoots, reboot, checked the cable etc. Optical Spdif, sample rate conversion, omni is internal clock , digital out selected in the mac, sample rate the same.

My question is if anyone's had the adat input randomly stopped working?

Best

J
Old 05-09-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
In the context of the thread it seemed implied. But, fair dues. Mac digi out to ADAT in. I've done the usual troubleshoots, reboot, checked the cable etc. Optical Spdif, sample rate conversion, omni is internal clock , digital out selected in the mac, sample rate the same.

Best

J
ADAT is 8 channels
S/PDIF (and AES3) is 2 channels whether by optical cable or copper

Your OMNI needs to be set for the optical in to be expecting S/PDIF if you are feeding from the Mac optical out -- which only does S/PDIF (not ADAT)
Old 05-09-2018, 02:47 PM

Default Anyone figure out how to play system sounds through HD Omni?

Quote:

Best

J

I think you meant TOSLINK S/PDIF In.

It is provably a good bet that if the Omni optical input was randomly not working for many people you would be seeing posts complaining about it on DUC.

You also will not get many answers to a specific question tacked onto the end of a long thread, few people here will wade through all the thread to get what is going on.

Is this working now or not? If not I would go back to my earlier advice and test the output with a TOSLINK S/PDIF input DAC/headphone amplifier etc. If it appears intermittent I would suspect and replace the optical cable. As silly as it seems I have been burnt several times by faulty/damaged TOSLINK cables or debris in the optical ports (dust caps, part of the port door mechanism etc.).

Old 05-09-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
and make sure that your system is set to use the optical out of your system sounds card... make it 2 channel SPDIF instead of ADAT.
Why not feed the computer analog outs to one of the stereo inputs on your xmon where you can listen to your computers sound?

I do this with my Icon desk. I even have my computers analog outputs wired into my patchbays in the event I need to record whatever sounds the computer is playing.
15 years as PTHD User, Protools 2018 Ultimate, 24 Channel iCon D-Command, Avid Omni, Lynx Aurora 16, (2) BLA Modified 192 I/O’s, DigiPre, Way Too Many Outboard Compressors/EQ’s/ETC, where did all my money go????

Last edited by Samanthas Dream; 05-10-2018 at 06:23 PM.