Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2018, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Best Imac for Protools 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Again, details as asked for before.... CPU? memory? Disk? Exact EMC# or product name. Mid-2012 MBP for example supports all the latest macOS versions... You could test with new stuff by installing on a new drive/partition and not risk your current install. As pointed out before.
CPU - 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7

Memory - 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Disk - Macintosh HD

Graphics - NVIDIA GE Force GT 650M 512MB

MacBookPro Mid 2012

OSX 10.8.5

Ser. # CXxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by larsongs; 05-06-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:40 PM

Whilst not ideal but especially if working in relatively unchallenging projects, you should be able to upgrade to the latest PT version with your current Mac and then determine if you need to upgrade further ... and without doubt, you’ll be able to access the Sweetwater website.

Reading about nuances regarding Pro Tools performance in this forum might lead you to believe you need powerful, up-to-date hardware, however using features such as disk cache and adding some extra RAM can make PT 2018 run better than PT10 on older hardware.

FWIW, I would first upgrade RAM/OS and the give the latest Pro Tools a spin with your own projects before spending lots of $ ... and you’d only be risking the software upgrade (that you would require anyway) and some low-cost RAM e.g. from OWC :)
Old 12-04-2018, 11:40 PM

So the unibody 15”? Hard to be sure without the EMC #.

That is upgradeable to 16GB DRAM and an internal SATA SSD and macOS Mojave. Back up your system. Pre-make a bootable macOS installer on a USB stick, open up and install 16GB RAM and swap out the internal drive with a 2.5” Samsung Evo SSD. Install macOS Mojave and Pro Tools other minimal other stuff on it... and see how it works. The SATA SSD is not fast enough to use reliably as a audio drive as well. So keep using your external drives.

If you are not running out of CPU today or having other problems then this should deal with all the issues you seem to have. Maybe cost a few hundred dollars. And let’s you see if the newer software all works for you. Then decide later to buy a new Mac or not.

... that is what I would do for now.... assuming there are no other reasons to upgrade hardware.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-05-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:46 PM

... second time in this thread that Darryl and I have made similar suggestions within minutes of one another (FYI, Darryl is basically the forum’s unchallenged hardware expert!) - you probably don’t need a new Mac! :)
Old 12-05-2018, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
Every time I try to log in to Sweetwater I get Safari can't open error messages. Sweetwater says it's my Computer. Apple says it's Sweetwater. I'm out of ProTools warranty for Tech Support. Sweetwater will not open on my Computer with OSX 10.8.5..

I was interested in purchasing a new Waves Abbey Road Plugin & thought I'd like to try the Trial. Waves said my Operating System is too old.

I mentioned earlier I purchased the new PT 2018 Upgrade from Sweetwater a couple days ago as it was on Sale for 20% off... I haven't installed it because my Computer can't support it. Hence I'm looking for a new Computer..

Another reason I want a new Computer is my regular Windows based Laptop's Hard Drive fried.. The MacBook will be it's replacement as it runs perfect for most day to day functions. I won't be using it as a DAW..

I hope that's more clear..

Thanks,

Lucky
I don't use Safari if i can help it. 99% of my web surfing is done in Firefox 46 which is on my non-music Mac running OSX 10.6.8

What do you mean by 'Sweetwater won't open'?

QAPLA!
Old 12-05-2018, 05:32 AM

I'm solid with el cap as the OS running rented PT12.
Waiting for Apple to finish beta testing mojave on us - not in a hurry.
Interface is fine, drives fine if USB
Go with 2+ screens - they've never been as affordable as now, and matches the edit window/mix window PT setup.
As far as which mac that depends on your need of portability and budget.
if in one room grab a 2010 5.1 mac pro 2.8+/32GB/5870 for low $$ these days, and wait to see what Apple is going to present as a pro machine next year.
if portable the newest fastest for your budget.
Remember PT (algorithms) benefit more from overall CPU speed than core counts
Hope that helps Lars!
Old 12-06-2018, 04:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm trying to sort thru it all. I have a couple questions?

1. What do you mean by 3rd Party Upgrade?
2. What does MBP stand for?
3. What does OWC stand for?

Thanks,

Lars
Old 12-06-2018, 05:02 PM

Third party, like memory from OWC or Crucial or Samsung or anybody not Apple. Can be a lot cheaper. Buy only from reputable companies (like OWC and Crucial and Samsung.. but there are often lots of choices *if* the component is accessible and not soldered down or otherwise Apple proprietary).

MBP=MacBook Pro

OWC = Other World Computing. Maybe the largest third party Mac component/upgrade seller in the world. https://www.macsales.com

---------

The more I keep seeing here the more I think you should upgrade your MBP and stretch its life, you will learn more about Mac computers. and in doing that learn more about new Pro Tools, and then look at a future Mac upgrade (maybe iMac, Mac Mini, iMac Pro, Mac Pro... ).
Old 12-06-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Third party, like memory from OWC or Crucial or Samsung or anybody not Apple. Can be a lot cheaper. Buy only from reputable companies (like OWC and Crucial and Samsung.. but there are often lots of choices *if* the component is accessible and not soldered down or otherwise Apple proprietary).

MBP=MacBook Pro

OWC = Other World Computing. Maybe the largest third party Mac component/upgrade seller in the world. https://www.macsales.com

---------

The more I keep seeing here the more I think you should upgrade your MBP and stretch its life, you will learn more about Mac computers. and in doing that learn more about new Pro Tools, and then look at a future Mac upgrade (maybe iMac, Mac Mini, iMac Pro, Mac Pro... ).
Thanks for the information & advice. I'll check out OWC.. Is it possible to do the upgrades myself via YouTube videos or should I have it professionally done? Where do I look to find a reputable Computer Tech in my area to do upgrades?

Lars

Last edited by larsongs; 12-06-2018 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Question
Old 12-07-2018, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
Thanks for the information & advice. I'll check out OWC.. Is it possible to do the upgrades myself via YouTube videos or should I have it professionally done? Where do I look to find a reputable Computer Tech in my area to do upgrades?

Lars
Doing ram and drive upgrades is relatively easy IF you have the proper tools & workspace. Of particular need is an anti-static grounding wrist strap to keep from zapping delicate electronics. What I have and use is a AC mains small outlet tester that plugs right into a wall outlet and has a port to plug in a ground strap. The neat thing with the tester is it has three indicators that will show you at a glance the health of your outlet. Stuff like is it wired correctly, etc. Won't tell you voltage but you don't need that. For larger projects I have an anti-static mat that also plugs into the outlet tester but you don't need that.

I don't know if Apple changed how one accesses ram in a laptop but back when I used a Powerbook G4 there was a cover on the bottom that came off and then a shield over the ram that had to be removed. Here's where having the proper tools comes in (amongst other uses). That shield used a weird small screw that apparently only Apple uses and I tried to fudge it using a regular small jeweler's screwdriver that I use to work on my model trains. Let's just say I mangled the screw heads and couldn't get two of the six or so screws that held down the shield. To get it off I ended up cutting the shield away right at the motherboard. Don't be that guy.

Depending on what you need to change out OWC has videos on their site for myriad things. Highly recommended to watch those multiple times. Almost forgot - OWC also has toolkits if you need them. Apple likes to use TORX head screws and a lot of people don't have them in their toolboxes. Don't get away thinking you can use a Philips head screwdriver instead.

Or a Sonic Screwdriver

QAPLA!