Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-17-2012, 02:42 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 not showing my plugins??

I've just installed PT 10.3.2 and its not showing my fxpansion Geist?? I've googled my problem but absolutely nothing is coming up, so what have I done thats so tragically wrong?

My system is a mac pro 2008 with the latest/last version of Lion. Geist was fully installed before PT's and was functioning and still is but only on the desktop. I have only installed 2 plugins prior to my PT install: Geist and Arturia CS-80. The CS-80 is in the "instruments" list, but it seems to be in there twice and coincides with what was automatically installed into my library/audio/plugins/VST.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 02:59 PM

Question Re: Pro Tools 10 not showing my plugins??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Hughes View Post
I've just installed PT 10.3.2 and its not showing my fxpansion Geist??
First question, especially since I do not know this plug-in. Is Geist sold as an RTAS or AAX plug-in?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 not showing my plugins??

Quote:
I've just installed PT 10.3.2 and its not showing my fxpansion Geist?? I've googled my problem but absolutely nothing is coming up, so what have I done thats so tragically wrong?

My system is a mac pro 2008 with the latest/last version of Lion. Geist was fully installed before PT's and was functioning and still is but only on the desktop. I have only installed 2 plugins prior to my PT install: Geist and Arturia CS-80. The CS-80 is in the "instruments" list, but it seems to be in there twice and coincides with what was automatically installed into my library/audio/plugins/VST.

Thanks
VST?? Pro Tools does not use VST, it uses RTAS or AAX only. You need to install the RTAS version of Geist.

Darryl
Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 PM

IIRC the CS80 shows up twice because there are actually two versions of that plug - a 'regular' one and one for 10 voices. Not in front of my daw at the moment so can't say for sure.

QAPLA!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:09 AM

As far as I can remember, the RTAS was selected on Geist when installing Geist and Spitter.

I do not understand whats going on with these pro tools plugins. I have navigated to my library/audio/plugins and I only have a Components, HAL, MAS, VST. No RTAS folder at all.

Geist, Spitter and the CS80 are only in Components and VST folders, but why has PT took a copy of the two CS80's from the VST folder, and moved and reformatted them to its own plugin folder within the applications/AVID folder as .dpm??

In the mean time I can only trash Geist and try again, but I am more concerned at the moment on how PT deals with all plugins??
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
snip...I do not understand whats going on with these pro tools plugins. I have navigated to my library/audio/plugins and I only have a Components, HAL, MAS, VST. No RTAS folder at all. ...snip
RTAS Plug-Ins have never been located in library/audio/plugins

The path is:
RTAS:
Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins

... and if necessary:
AAX:
Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins

The one within Applications/Avid/Pro Tools is simply an alias pointing to the AAX one I mentioned above.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 AM

Thanks, that's cleared one thing up. I am not at my desktop at the min to uninstall and reinstall Giest. Do you think its because I installed both the CS80 V2 and Giest before Pro Tools 10?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks, that's cleared one thing up. I am not at my desktop at the min to uninstall and reinstall Giest. Do you think its because I installed both the CS80 V2 and Giest before Pro Tools 10?
Yes. Your plugins had no Pro Tools program to be installed into.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yes. Your plugins had no Pro Tools program to be installed into.
Thanks thats great

I'm just in the process of finding out the most safest way to unistall my Geist!

P.s Whats the best way I can organise my plugins now that I know where they are. For example I have 2 Arturia CS80 V2 and would like to put them both in a folder called "CS80"

Many thanks
Old 12-18-2012, 11:25 AM

Exclamation Re: Pro Tools 10 not showing my plugins??

Quote:
P.s Whats the best way I can organise my plugins now that I know where they are.
Leave them wherever the installer applications put them.
Quote:
For example I have 2 Arturia CS80 V2 and would like to put them both in a folder called "CS80"
The applications are going to expect that the Arturia CS80 V2, or any other plug-in, be in a specific location. If you change that location, and then cannot specify in the software where to look for the plug-in, it won't work at all.