Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-05-2004, 04:58 AM

Default Playing live with a click track

Hi my band is realising a record later this year and we want to use some of the tracks from the PT sessions when we play live. What is the best way to do that? Everything is recorded with the click track plugin in PT.

I would rather not bring my ProTools setup to a live gig so what can we do?
Old 07-05-2004, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Playing live with a click track

Well you can always burn stereo mixes of the cuts you want to use to CD and do it that way.You will of course have to leave counts at the beginnings of each tune.You can keep the counts low so it's not that obvious to the audience.
If you want to use multitracks at the live show you will have to have something to play them with.If you had a standalone DAW you could export the tracks from PT's as .wav files and mix them into your live mix that way.

Old 07-05-2004, 06:22 AM

Haraldur ,

Yep, just as Bazzle said. Audio CD's are the easiest and probly the most reliable solution, with one drawback. The click is always there, and it's level will not be controllable. Your drummer always needs more.
Just a couple of months back I did a live playback tape for my friend's band.
We went from analog multitrack source master ( very quick stem mix ) to his 4 track "porta studio",
like this;
1-2) stereo BG's / pwr gtrs/ synth pads
3)mono full mix just in case...
4)click track with 2 bars count off

it worked great.
good luck,
cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 07-05-2004, 09:57 AM

Hello Haraldur! Your name suggests you are from Iceland, am I right?

Anyway, I've been using a playback for live gigs which is a mix from the tracks I recorded for my last album on DIGI 001.

What I did was after I had mixed the tracks and released the album I saved a new copy of each song which I used for the playback mix.

I simply muted the tracks I didn't want on the playback, panned the ones I wanted hard-left and created a click track which was panned hard-right. This only gives you a mono playback for FOH but the drummer has to listen to the click-track as well in his headphones. I've found this to be a sufficient solution for me playing the small clubs of Iceland (50-400 people). The playback normally includes: loopes (perc, strange drums etc.), synth and back-vox.

I then normally use a mini-disk when playing back, it's a bit less vulnerably to vibration than CD-players.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:47 AM

this is where a $300 blackface adat from ebay comes in very, very useful.