Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2006, 08:13 PM

Default What i like about you (is the name of the song)

Digidesign: Please take a note, I'm not the only one, remember that this is a war of perceptions

"Can you imagine an advertising page on the Mix magazine with te following testimonials???

Post # 6 Digi sees them as one; your pres, your converters, you interface, your software and your control surface all under one name. Yes, they want to see their logo all over your studio. That's capitalism.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post # 1 : My point (and I do have one) is this: Digidesign must unlock PTLE, restoring the full functionality of the Pro Tools HD software. Do they honestly think that by limiting PTLE, they will frustrate users enough to motivate them into upgrading to a PT HD system?! For me, it's exactly the opposite. The more they pull these kind of tricks, the more it pushes me to look elsewhere. The competition, by the way, is getting better and better.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post# 10 I didn't realize that the DUC was only for happy and content Digi customers. I humbly apologize for whining about getting screwed by Digidesign. You have opened my eyes to the fact that, since Digidesign is the industry leader, they can do whatever the hell they want to their PTLE customers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post# 19 I hear the Digi 003 will be just like the Digi 002 except it has a credit card slot so we can get those repeat toolkits, plug ins and frequent updates much faster. Boy o boy I can't wait, hope it accepts paper money too.
post#21 I was long time Sonar and Cubase user on PC.. Until I switched to Mac and PTLE. There are still PTLE feature that I feel that we are cheated. The usual limitation of track. I once had a project to re-mix a PT TDM project with 40+ tracks - I found out the hardway the limitation of PTLE.. I ended up remixing on Stienberg Neundo.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post# 24 The timecode ruler thing is just cruel for those of us in post. For those of you in music production, try to imagine if PTLE came with the Bars|Beats ruler deactivated. What, can't you just calculate tempos by dividing fractions of seconds? Not happy? Well, you can activate the ruler for $1295 if you think you REALLY need it. Doesn't that please you? Well, don't come crying to us. You could've bought that HD hardware rig which comes with the software that allows you to map out tempos.
Post# 27 However, DV Toolkit 1 was the start of something bad. They bundled DINR, VocAlign and DigiTranslator 2.0 together with timecode functionality for $1,000! Now, I don't know about other PTLE users, but I didn't have a daily need for DINR, VocAlign or DigiTranslator. What I *do* use regularly, for post/video/film is timecode. So, with a big project coming up that I knew I would *have* to have timecode functionality for, I purchased DV Toolkit 1... a $1,000 timecode ruler!............................................ .....................///////

As a good father would say: " I do it because i love you.."
Old 05-16-2006, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Petition to liberate Pro Tools LE

Many people in this thread are ignoring the OP's valid point, which is that Digi is leveraging their market share against the end user. Digi charges more for less, and they get away with it because people need to be compatible with all the ProTools systems out there. Just about every Digi Fanboi in this thread conveniently overlooked that valid point.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Many people in this thread are ignoring the OP's valid point, which is that Digi is leveraging their market share against the end user. Digi charges more for less, and they get away with it because people need to be compatible with all the ProTools systems out there. Just about every Digi Fanboi in this thread conveniently overlooked that valid point.
I could not agree more with this statement. (With the exception of the 'many people...ignoring' assumption) Avid as a business is out to make a profit and control the sector. Period.
I also am convinced that competition will drive the market.
I'm sure that as competition closes in that we will see changes.
I think TC ruler should be a feature of LE but there is about a $9,500.00 difference between an Mbox and HD system. So why the tears?

ribonmiclover
The post about 'god and the devil' was a little offensive. IMHO it bangs on the fence of the DUC Terms of Use.
I admit I did not go back and read every post of yours. I just had to throw it back at ya.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Because this is a support forum for users helping other users with technical issues regarding Digidesign products, the following types of threads are not allowed:

-Polls

-Petitions

-X vs.Y threads (Mac vs. PC, PT vs. Nuendo, etc.)
This is from the DUC Terms of Use. Looks like we're all in violation. There are several other recent threads that fall into these categories as well. Well, whoever reads the fine print anyway?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:43 AM

Interesting thread that I somehow missed. I'll read through it all and post my 2 cents.

Since I use a Quad Opteron on both LE and HD I have alot to say on this subject. Alot. Let's just say for now, that at almot 5 years old, the DSP on the core cards and Accel cards are showing their age. Stay tuned for more after I give this a thorough reading.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-25-2006, 01:51 AM

To confirm; I love Pro Tools.

Fullly paid-up fan-boy.

I've used it both for post and music work, on both LE and HD, with MIDI and audio, professionally and at amateur/project levels.

I'm also a sales guy at a major London dealer so I am regularly selling different systems to various types of audio hobbyists and professionals, with Pro Tools and Reason my specialities.

I think the current PTLE7 software package (with the Ignition Pack and whatnot) is now very good value for money, with further improvements inevitably on the way (for instance; MIDI - with the foundation they have in audio, improving this part of the program is going to be exciting, escpecially with Wizoo on board).

The hardware just about covers the relevant bases, now helped in this by the M-Audio line (strange to have two such similar products competing though - it's quite a tough one to explain to customers). A well-specced 003, catering for the, sadly overlooked, Mid-Range Semi-Pro user would help a great deal.

The fact that it is tied to proprietry hardware is justifiable, I think. Firstly, the advantages of having a system that is controlled by one manafacturer are many, secondly, there are exactly ZERO cracked copies of Pro Tools in the world. Smart move.

However, though I can understand that there are some software features that should seperate HD and LE (many pro functions that LE users really don't need) I strongly believe, using my experience as research, that the following should, and must, be included as standard features in all versions of the software;

- SMPTE Timecode
- MP3 import/export
- 48 Stereo/Mono Audio Tracks
- OMF AAF Import/Export
- Continuous Scrolling
- Optional Offline Bounce to Disk

I'm not going to go into the reasons, rest assured that they are too overwhelming in their strength and numbers to be in any way ignored - speaking as a user, seller and Pro Tools geek. Cubase SE offers all this for only £99, and will work on practically any system with few tweaks (though, of course, PTLE offers somewhat of an advantage with regards to operation!).

In addition, it would be great to see the remaining Digirack plugins get the "III" makeover like the EQ and Dynamics - which rock - starting with D-verb. And hell, why not get the AIR Team to come up with a few fun audio toys to beef up the collection, ala Logic? It's all good. Everyone wins. The excellent competition will inevitably lead this way, I'm sure of it.

My only remaining hope is that MIDI editing is completely reimagined in Pro Tools.

PT7 is exactly the right step in the right direction, if you ask me. The interface, routing structure and audio manipulation are so rock-solid and damn near unimprovable, that they can concentrate on really catching up with their many formidable bedfellows with regards to MIDI.
I have high hopes not only for the new instruments and nick-nacks headed our way (Hybrid and Xpand are brilliant - a sampler and rhythm module would be ace) and the real-time composing and MIDI-manipulation tools that are sure to follow, but also for the way MIDI is navigated and edited within the GUI. At the moment, you have to do too much to 'set up' your zoom presets and markers etcetera, and some parameters are still excluded from the memory presets - it's not intuitive enough, which is why it still feels like it's not quite 'there' yet.

If I could simply click on a MIDI region and have the zoom automatically fill the screen with a uniform, matrix-style editor - with sensible and automatic grid, note size and keyboard positions, the ability to scroll up/down the keyboard with my scroll wheel and perhaps a dedicated MIDI toolbar - I would be in HEAVEN. And you wouldn't have to break the ingenius 'two-window' architecture that makes PT such a breeze to use.

I said as much to the head of Digidesign when we met earlier this year. You never know, hope springs eternal.

Anyways, maybe I'll go ahead and put it in a feature request form or ten.

Peace, bros.

Sonny
x
Old 05-25-2006, 11:40 AM

You raise some good points, some of which I agree with.

Quote:
...However, though I can understand that there are some software features that should seperate HD and LE (many pro functions that LE users really don't need) I strongly believe, using my experience as research, that the following should, and must, be included as standard features in all versions of the software;

- SMPTE Timecode
- MP3 import/export
- 48 Stereo/Mono Audio Tracks
- OMF AAF Import/Export
- Continuous Scrolling
- Optional Offline Bounce to Disk

I'm not going to go into the reasons, rest assured that they are too overwhelming in their strength and numbers to be in any way ignored - speaking as a user, seller and Pro Tools geek. Cubase SE offers all this for only £99, and will work on practically any system with few tweaks (though, of course, PTLE offers somewhat of an advantage with regards to operation!). ...
Don't forget full "Import Session Data..." functionality. At this point, you have to buy the DV Toolkit 2 to gain these features.

Why only 48 tracks though? All other native DAW's give you a track count only limited by your CPU and hard drive. Why does Digidesign keep inching the track count up for LE, instead of just making it hardware dependent? If I can run 64 tracks with Digital Performer or Logic, why can't I run 64 tracks with Pro Tools LE?

Come on Digidesign! The difference between LE and HD is the hardware . Make ONE version of Pro Tools software!!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:20 PM

bump
Old 05-02-2008, 09:37 PM

I love Pro tools

I Think that we should at least have the delay compensation fix and at least 32 mono or stereo tracks(not just 32 voices) if not

other than that im fine with LE and M Powered.

and i think maybe digi should sell the upgrades separate out of the packs. i really only want the extra tracks.
i have alot of the plugs in the music production tool kit and such.

i dont need to buy it again.

75 bucks is fair for the upgrade.

im not switching daws though. i know pro tools too well
Old 05-02-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
bump
you bumped a 2 year old thread and made no relevant comment

hell you made no comment at all

that is quite annoying to say the least

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig