How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2020, 09:09 AM

Default Old Mbox 2 and PT LE 7.3 and 8.0

Hello!

I have dug out my old PT LE 7.3 and 8.0 discs and codes, and wanted to register them with my AVID account. However, it doesn't seem to be possible. They were purchased (7.3 bundled with my mbox 2, which I still use) by me some time back in '07 or so, and I have proof of purchase of at least the 8.0 upgrade (I'll have to look deeper for a receipt for the mbox). I don't recall if I may have registered these on the digidesign website back then, but I figure it may be an issue if that is the case. In any case, whichever email address I used to register back then, is long gone. I am the sole owner of all of the above.

I know people will suggest a new(er) version instead, since PT now runs 64-bit, but I figured I'd investigate my options with this setup, before I dish out money for something more recent. If nothing else, then to see if it's worth it for me, to get back into home recording. :)

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2020, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Old Mbox 2 and PT LE 7.3 and 8.0

Really, this will be a waste of time. There's little point in registering software that is 14 years old, and it will get you nothing if you actually succeed If you're on a tight budget, shop for a second-hand licence of PT 10 or newer(which you get depends on what computer and OS you have). If you click on the Learn & Support link above, you can follow links to compatibility. My 2 cents: go for version 11 or newer because that's when the software went to full 64 bit, which gives much better performance(given a compatible computer and OS). I really can't say whether the Mbox 2 is going to work as that also is at the mercy of compatibility

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2020, 10:38 AM

Hi, welcome to the community.

As said, that is just too old. Today you need to have active support and update plan to get new versions. That is however not possible for versions earlier than PT9.

Good news is your Mbox2 may still work with the current version (supported up to PT11 but reported working) in case you decide to buy a new PT license or subscription.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the input, guys!

Yes, I figured as much. I'll see what I can find out and about, keep my fingers crossed that my mbox 2 still makes the cut. It works as a sound device for windows, and I have used it as my main control box with my monitors ever since then. For inputs, I really just need one instrument and one mic input.

But you're right. Also, I might as well utilise 64-bit functionality, either way. Time to go second-hand shopping, I suppose.

Thanks again! :)
Old 03-20-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerMensch View Post
Thanks for the input, guys!

Yes, I figured as much. I'll see what I can find out and about, keep my fingers crossed that my mbox 2 still makes the cut. It works as a sound device for windows, and I have used it as my main control box with my monitors ever since then. For inputs, I really just need one instrument and one mic input.

But you're right. Also, I might as well utilise 64-bit functionality, either way. Time to go second-hand shopping, I suppose.

Thanks again! :)
Fingers crossed for you And remember, for most Windows users, things work much better if you set Windows to NOT use the interface as its "Default Playback Device"(in Windows Sound settings)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Fingers crossed for you And remember, for most Windows users, things work much better if you set Windows to NOT use the interface as its "Default Playback Device"(in Windows Sound settings)
That may be the case? I have somwhat decent control over the mbox 2 with third-party drivers, even. Experiments will be had!

And good tips to be found here. Thank you for the advice. :)