Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 08-05-2020, 10:28 PM

Default MTRX Studio question about analog inputs and line level

Hello,

I've been going over the MTRX studio documentation over and over trying to figure out what the dBu settings on the analog input channels in DADman actually mean, and how they pertain to line level, and have come up with nothing. DAD's own documentation on the software in their AX32 manual isn't much more help to me on this matter either, unfortunately.

On every interface with analog inputs I've ever worked with, there's usually some type of "pad" button that allows you to change the input's gain level between professional line level (+4 dBu), and consumer line level (-10 dBV, which is actually an 11.78 dB difference from the pro level). The idea is that when the input gain is at unity on these channels, you will have a line level input, and just need to adjust the pad setting accordingly.

I have no idea how to set my analog inputs on this unit to professional or consumer line level, and would love to be pointed in the direction of some documentation that can explain these dBu settings and how they pertain to that, or just tell me which values to set on this thing to accomplish those two different levels.

Thanks!

EDIT: BONUS QUESTION

I currently have my PC's main audio output set to a couple of outputs in Dante Virtual Soundcard so I can hear all my non-Pro Tools audio in the MTRX Studio. However when the Windows output volume is set to 100, the source sounds distorted, which obviously shouldn't be happening with a straight digital signal path. Anyone know what volume value I need to have Windows on for it to send out a digital audio signal at unity?

Last edited by polyh3dron; 08-05-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:33 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio question about analog inputs and line level

The dBu settings in DADman refer to 0 dBFS or clippinglevel. So if you set the analog input to e.g. 24 dBu then the analog input will clip if you feed it with a signal of 24dBu or higher. If you feed a 4dBu signal to the input then you will have -20 dBFS. So the analog input should be set so it gives you the headroom you want, i.e. 4 dBu + whatever headroom you want.

The routing matrix in DADman has some small meters on all input and output channels. You can use these to check the level on the Dante feed from DVS when you adjust the output level in Windows.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:29 AM

Thanks for replying, Jan! Even with your reply this is somewhat confusing to me... So if I am sending a consumer line level signal to two of my MTRX Studio's analog inputs, what would be the optimal settings for me to apply so that the levels will come into the digital domain at a proper line level?
Old 08-07-2020, 12:23 AM

As you mention in your first post, there is a 11.78 dB difference between the "pro" level and "consumer" level so if you want the same level you must your "consumer inputs" 11.8 dB lower than your "pro inputs". So if your "pro inputs" are set to +24 dBu then your "consumer inputs" must be set to +12.2 dBu. That should give you the same digital levels in dBFS if you feed them with a +4 dBu and a -10 dBV signal respectively.