Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2003, 06:14 PM

Default Help! major problems with 5.3 & XP.........

Hello everyone,

I was hoping I could get some good advice for some big problems I'm having (I've already searched the DUC, still need more help)

Until yesterday, protools 5.1 ran great on windows 98, no error messages or problems. But the 98 OS was real unstable for everything else, plus I needed the extra tracks .

So I upgraded to XP Home with 5.3 and have run into quite a few crucial issues, here they are...........

1. The volume output indicators don't move when I turn the track's volume up or down. The volume works but it makes it impossible to mix and master, without being able to see if a tracks redlining or whatever.

2. All kinds of errors, regarding buffer sizes, CPU & plug in capacitys, and slow or unfragmented disks. I can't play a song for more than 1 minute. I have never seen these in 98.

3. Cool Edit and my other media players don't recognize the Digi sound card so I can't record or get playback in anything but ProTools.

I'm running a 1.5 GHZ p4 with 512MB Ram and an 001 systym.

Thanks alot for any help ya'll can give. I'd hate to go back to 98, but we gotta work!!!
Old 07-09-2003, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Help! major problems with 5.3 & XP.........

Quote:
Originally posted by precise:
Hello everyone,

1. The volume output indicators don't move when I turn the track's volume up or down. The volume works but it makes it impossible to mix and master, without being able to see if a tracks redlining or whatever.

2. All kinds of errors, regarding buffer sizes, CPU & plug in capacitys, and slow or unfragmented disks. I can't play a song for more than 1 minute. I have never seen these in 98.

3. Cool Edit and my other media players don't recognize the Digi sound card so I can't record or get playback in anything but ProTools.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1. Is the track record enabled, if so, then the volume meters show what input it is receiving, not what it is playing back...

2. there is a lot of info on this.. buffersize i think is a problem with a lot of people

3. I don't think anything is supposed to recognize the digi sound card except for digi001.
cool edit pro uses your system sound and memory to work.. thats why it isn't real time when you change stuff..
Old 07-09-2003, 09:25 PM

Appreciate the help but...........

1. I'm quite aware of recoding levels and tracks being record enabled. I'm talking about sounds that have been recorded for a while. The volume meter will not move from their set position (pre XP) no matter how low you fade, or how you manipulate the sample with effecst = limited mixing power.

2. I've tried alot of the solutions for buffer size, but I did not find one topic where a user experiences 4-5 errors after running ProTools perfect in 98 or 2000.

3. I Figured that one out, I just needed to get wavedriver for other programs to work.

Once again, appreciate any help about this.

If you like hip-hop, check out our website at unifiedmindz.com. thanks
Old 07-09-2003, 10:56 PM

moving the faders adjusts the volumes, but doesn't seem to affect the meters?

Look at Operations->PreFaderMetering

Old 07-09-2003, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by precise:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1. The volume output indicators don't move when I turn the track's volume up or down.

Switch off 'PRE-fade' metering.

2. All kinds of errors, regarding buffer sizes, CPU & plug in capacitys, and slow or unfragmented disks.

first the obvious one - have you increased the cpu usage limit in the hardware setup? it defaults to 65% .. likewise have you tried increasing your buffers in the same dialog?

assuming you have done those, have you installed a third party IDE driver (say IBM Application Accelerator or the like?) with some chipsets they wreak HAVOC on your audio drives and often cause all of the problems you have cited. How does the system run with the stock standard XP drivers?

Cool Edit and my other media players don't recognize the Digi sound card so I can't record or get playback in anything but ProTools.

you'll need to install the wavedriver or asio driver depending on what your apps need

cheers,
marcus
Old 07-09-2003, 11:36 PM

Appreciate the help, I just stumbled across the pre-fade metering right before I read your answer. Same thing with the wavedriver, so I'm looking a little better over here (still crazy amounts of errors)

Man, I've tried every combination of buffer sizes and cpu usage limits, I've kept the usage limite maxed at 85% recently b/c thats what alot of people on here seem to do.
To my knowledge, I've got no other IDE drivers installed, is there a window to check and/or correct that.

Thanks