Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-13-2013, 09:48 PM

Default Idea Scale - please vote - Midi Feature Request

I would like in effect to solo a note or a hit in a drum track and be able to filter my velocity lane for only that note

So I could see for example the velocity for the entire song on only my snare hits - seems like a nice feature - if you wanna see it in PT12 please vote

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...79?submitted=1
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Idea Scale - please vote - Midi Feature Request

Vote it up....guys

Old 04-15-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I would like in effect to solo a note or a hit in a drum track and be able to filter my velocity lane for only that note

So I could see for example the velocity for the entire song on only my snare hits - seems like a nice feature - if you wanna see it in PT12 please vote

I'm not arguing against the prospect of this feature, or a dedicated drum matrix editor, but maybe you could explain a little more about your workflow.

For example, something I often do initially when programming MIDI drums / samples etc, is get the part down on a single MIDI track (kick, snare, hats etc), and then have Pro Tools split the track by notes.

Now you have a new MIDI track for each MIDI note (i.e. kick, snare 1, snare 2, hi-hat closed, hi-hat mid, hi-hat open etc), which not only gives you the option of having each note trigger a different VI (you could have the kick from BFD, the snare from Battery, the hats from BOOM etc) you can also open the velocity pane below the track lane, and perform the edits you are talking about.

Another often overlooked option, is that you can select MIDI track heights from all the usual choices (Medium, Large, Jumbo etc), but also have the option of single note, allowing you to specify which note you would like to see.

Thirdly, you can also have Pro Tools select every instance of a specific note, and trim their velocity en-masse, for a sledgehammer approach (which in many circumstances is what's required).

Hope that helps you in the mean time.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
For example, something I often do initially when programming MIDI drums / samples etc, is get the part down on a single MIDI track (kick, snare, hats etc), and then have Pro Tools split the track by notes.

Now you have a new MIDI track for each MIDI note (i.e. kick, snare 1, snare 2, hi-hat closed, hi-hat mid, hi-hat open etc), which not only gives you the option of having each note trigger a different VI (you could have the kick from BFD, the snare from Battery, the hats from BOOM etc) you can also open the velocity pane below the track lane, and perform the edits you are talking about.

Another often overlooked option, is that you can select MIDI track heights from all the usual choices (Medium, Large, Jumbo etc), but also have the option of single note, allowing you to specify which note you would like to see.

Thirdly, you can also have Pro Tools select every instance of a specific note, and trim their velocity en-masse, for a sledgehammer approach (which in many circumstances is what's required).
wow never thought about trying to do it like that....let me look into it...thanks.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post

I'm not sure what you mean. I can click on a note on the vertical keyboard in the midi editor and all notes on that note get selected. If I move the velocity of that note, the rest move along proportionaly. I even can drag the note to a different one and all of the notes on that note get dragged to the new note/beat.

I can too make a square selection (buttonDown-dragToSelect-release) when using the hand tool, which allows me to select all notes on the same note for a certain measure only. I can add things to the selection by holding the shift key, again with gragging or just clicking on certain notes.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Pro Tools Ultimate (perpetual with active updates/support plan)
RME Fireface 802, Focusrite Clarett+ Octopre, Eleven Rack (ERXP)
Monitors: Yamaha MSP7 and Yamaha HS8S
Asus RoG Maximus Hero Z790 (in a 4U slidable rack mount! )
Intel Core i9-13900k 5.4 Ghz (16 cores / 32 threads)
128 GB RAM G.Skill DDR5 6000 MHz (4 modules 32GB each)
Boot disk: Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB
Media disks: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB in RAID 0 for current work, 2 x Seagate Exos X20 20TB mirrored for archive and backup
Video: PNY/Nvidia RTX 3080 TI with a single 4K display Dell U3223QE 32''
Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 PM
ACI/ALP Moderator

Funny that this topic came up again. I've had some students ask me about the exact same thing. So, I just created a YouTube video that shows how to approximate a drum editing matrix in Pro Tools. It's not as cool as UltraBeat (etc.) but it's as close as you can get in Pro Tools at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3bnbzpKUvI

BTW, this is exactly what Carl mentioned above...
Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 PM

You can do this with groups in Ableton out of the box (and have been for the last few versions).. Just sayin. I included a picture on Ideascale that describes this.

Last edited by Rufio; 04-28-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:36 PM

Okay so I agree the functionality can be had but it seems like there's an easier way to do it then auxing all the many tracks but nevertheless

Old 04-29-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post

Hope that helps you in the mean time.
Another benefit is that you can target separate notes with the realtime editor however, I choose to use Instrument tracks exclusively. They have the same flexibility but they seem to have fewer timing issues when using audio plugs with huge latencies. For some reason, my midi tracks get out of sync when using Ozone 5 or the like on the master fader. So I create multiple Instrument tracks but only load one instrument like drums or a multitimbral instrument like Xpand. I assign the midi outputs of the empty instrument tracks in the dropdown menus to the appropriate channel of a multi channel instrument track or just the drum track instrument.
It gets really fun when you assign the the audio out of individual drums to different auxes too! gotta stay organized!
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.