Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2009, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 LE multiple problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyesbaby View Post
Well... I did experience some "anxious" moments (incidents) but... my BIOS is now updated and... "dialed in" per Corsair, Digidesign, (and BBlue) recommendations.
Congrats!

Quote:
In addition to stacking up the plug-ins (I mentioned earlier) I've also been doing some "live" elastic audio work (HELP says "live" is more memory intensive than "rendered"). Everything seems to be running OK. I can still get that <Ctrl><Start><P> H/W Buffer error after looping for awhile but... I also know how to avoid it.
That one really sounds like a memory leak issue in the PT8 code. I've never had the occasion to use loop repeat for the length of time you do.
Quote:
On 2/9/09 I started this thread because I did not feel good about my computer/PT8 setup. TODAY I am VERY HAPPY. THANK YOU very much BBLUE (and TOM).
You're quite welcome. That's great to hear!
Quote:
Is it OK to shift gears here?... is it me (could very well be) or... do those 003 preamps really SUCK? In particular, the "bell overtones" of my EL34 (tubes) are not making it to the hard drive. The overtones (as printed to tape) DO COME ACROSS in the TAPE to DISK transfers I've done. I'm just struggling to get it from MICOPHONE to DISK. Is there some special HooDooVooDoo-I-GottaDoo?
Other than trying other mics or mic positions (which can be critical), no.

Overall, I have been quite disappointed in the 003 performance. But when you consider its price, you realize that it wasn't (couldn't have been) designed to be a 'sonic spectacular' device. Just better than Mbox and way short of the I/O boxes for HD. Unfortunately, the are our only choice for LE.

It's not just the mic pre's, either. The A/D's (and D/A's) are not at all what they could be, nor is internal clock stability. The Black Lion modifications (tweak version) improve things considerably by replacing all the mic pre's with better chips, substantial improvements in power supply decoupling to each analog chip and the D/A A/D converters, a much more stable clock, and the addition of a separate power supply for the analog circuits. That mod costs as much or more than the 003 hardware did. It's a signficant improvement all the way around, but still isn't at the D/A A/D performance level of an Apogee Rosetta or UA 2192, or the mic pre performance of a UA 610 or other high end dedicated mic pre.

Unfortunately, the only way around it is with external units connected only to the 003's s/pdif or ADAT inputs, but then you're dealing with extra delay that PT doesn't account for (since it's beyond the 003). ADAT with 8 channels as far as I know is limited to 48k, so that leaves you with one coax digital input for higher speeds.

This is pretty much where I am on my system. The BLA mod makes an 003 as good as it'll ever be, but I'd sure be willing to buy more equipment if there was a really good hardware solution out there, even if the 003 has to be present to keep LE happy. Like maybe something with a separate FW interface to custom drivers that LE could see as it does the 003.

Anyone with ideas?

--Bill
Old 03-10-2009, 08:19 PM

Hi Bill,

THANK YOU for the reply.

>>
That one really sounds like a memory leak issue in the PT8 code.
<<
My gut tells me the same thing AND... I've tried to discuss that potential issue with DigiTechs BUT that discussion ALWAYS ends up going nowhere BECAUSE... I'm using a NON-AUTHORIZED computer (I don't think most Digi "phone" techs know what a "leaky resource" is).

>>
I've never had the occasion to use loop repeat for the length of time you do.
<<
HahaHahaHaha... I've been know as a relentless... monkey.

>>
Other than trying other mics or mic positions (which can be critical), no.
<<
I'm using the same mics I've been using (on my amps) for 25 years. Have been moving them around the cones.

>>
Overall, I have been quite disappointed in the 003 performance. But when you consider its price, you realize that it wasn't (couldn't have been) designed to be a 'sonic spectacular' device. Just better than Mbox and way short of the I/O boxes for HD. Unfortunately, the are our only choice for LE.
<<
Kinda figured that.

>>
It's not just the mic pre's, either. The A/D's (and D/A's) are not at all what they could be, nor is internal clock stability. The Black Lion modifications (tweak version) improve things considerably by replacing all the mic pre's with better chips, substantial improvements in power supply decoupling to each analog chip and the D/A A/D converters, a much more stable clock, and the addition of a separate power supply for the analog circuits. That mod costs as much or more than the 003 hardware did. It's a signficant improvement all the way around, but still isn't at the D/A A/D performance level of an Apogee Rosetta or UA 2192, or the mic pre performance of a UA 610 or other high end dedicated mic pre.

Unfortunately, the only way around it is with external units connected only to the 003's s/pdif or ADAT inputs, but then you're dealing with extra delay that PT doesn't account for (since it's beyond the 003). ADAT with 8 channels as far as I know is limited to 48k, so that leaves you with one coax digital input for higher speeds.

This is pretty much where I am on my system. The BLA mod makes an 003 as good as it'll ever be,...
<<
Gee... sounds like I didn't do enough homework here.

I visited Black Lion's site. They have a NOTE... no more 003 "consoles" (racks only). After reading what they had to offer it made me feel like I bought the wrong setup (console instead of rack).

THANK YOU for your time... Frankie J (^_^)
Old 03-11-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyesbaby View Post
I visited Black Lion's site. They have a NOTE... no more 003 "consoles" (racks only). After reading what they had to offer it made me feel like I bought the wrong setup (console instead of rack).
Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

--Bill
Old 09-08-2009, 09:34 AM

I really need help, this is the last straw... I've been having assertion errors for months now with my pro tools 8. Could not complete your request because access violation have occured on blah blah blah Msvcr80.dll, Dae.dll, Ntdll.dll, C++ Runtime Errors, everyday of my life this is a norm for me.... Til I thought it was some incompatibility issue so I Got the proper specs and built a Rigorous Pro tools system which cost me US1,358. AND I AM STILL GETTING THE ERRORS... The errors only come up when I hit record, Pro tool records with the pink line going accross without the WAV form drawing, Once I hit stop ERROR! and pro tools has to close... Occasionally when i record it Draws a loud White noise pattern on screen, And a while ago It recorded a AUDIO FROM A SESSION THATS A MONTH OLD! into a new session I started... Is it a hard drive issue?? What should I do? Get Nuendo, Logic, Cake Walk LOL??? HEEEELLLP!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallcucumber View Post
I really need help, this is the last straw... I've been having assertion errors for months now with my pro tools 8. Could not complete your request because access violation have occured on blah blah blah Msvcr80.dll, Dae.dll, Ntdll.dll, C++ Runtime Errors, everyday of my life this is a norm for me.... Til I thought it was some incompatibility issue so I Got the proper specs and built a Rigorous Pro tools system which cost me US1,358. AND I AM STILL GETTING THE ERRORS... The errors only come up when I hit record, Pro tool records with the pink line going accross without the WAV form drawing, Once I hit stop ERROR! and pro tools has to close... Occasionally when i record it Draws a loud White noise pattern on screen, And a while ago It recorded a AUDIO FROM A SESSION THATS A MONTH OLD! into a new session I started... Is it a hard drive issue?? What should I do? Get Nuendo, Logic, Cake Walk LOL??? HEEEELLLP!!!!!!
First things first... you need to start a new post with your specific problem instead of digging up one that is six months old.

Next, you need to read the General Troubleshooting post and follow the directions there for posting the information we need about your computer. Without that information, anything anybody says here is just a guess. Please include a plugin list using the Tech support Utility (as mentioned in the General Troubleshooting post).

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12