Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 08-08-2020, 08:28 AM

Default PT Ultimate Perpetual (expired) to subscription - pay on monthly basis?

Hi all,

I have a PT 12 Ultimate Perpetual license, with an expired support and upgrade plan.

I'm looking to move to the subscription model, and am given the 3 following options in my master account:

PT Ultimate - $79.99 1 year subscription, paid monthly
PT Ultimate - $59.99 1 year subscription Crossgrade, paid monthly
PT Ultimate - $599.99 1 year subscription Crossgrade, paid upfront

I take it that in this scenario the 'cross grade' option is discounted as I am surrendering my PT Perpetual license, correct?

...but does this mean I am unable to purchase PT Ultimate on a month-by-month basis? Am I only able to be locked into a full years subscription?

Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-08-2020, 09:06 AM

Default Re: PT Ultimate Perpetual (expired) to subscription - pay on monthly basis?

If you crossgrade, you lose your perpetual license. And you get discount for that. Yearly subscription means Avid is also committed to the discount.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:51 AM

Default Re: PT Ultimate Perpetual (expired) to subscription - pay on monthly basis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If you crossgrade, you lose your perpetual license. And you get discount for that. Yearly subscription means Avid is also committed to the discount.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it!

So does this mean I am committed for the entire year, or can I cancel and reinstate my subscription when needed?

I have three months towards the end of the year and early 2021 when I will be away and in between projects, so may not need an active sub.

Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:53 AM

Yearly commitment is yearly commitment, but you still get the discount. After you are no longer eligible for discounted pricing, you may change to monthly commitment.

However, you may be lucky to find a reseller that still has old stock of "reinstatement" codes which would make your expired support plan active. That is different from and more expensive than "renewal" code which only works with active support plan.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:21 AM

Got you. So the initial 79.99 option (not crossgrade) is a month by month commitment? It also says 1 year subscription which is what is confusing me.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:22 AM

There are three kinds of subscriptions.
- commit monthly, pay monthly, most expensive
- commit yearly, pay monthly, the usual one
- commit yearly, pay upfront, cheapest option

Pay attention which one you choose.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:51 AM

Great, thanks again. Final question - why does the 79.99 option (the most expensive) also say’1 year subscription’ - if it’s a commit monthly, pay monthly option?
Old 08-08-2020, 11:53 AM

It is even more expensive option. You are likely just shown one example besides your crossgrade options, if you have clicked on your Avid Account which your options are. But if you go buy a new subscription you will be shown all subscription options.

In your pants I would still call some resellers if they have that reinstatement available.