Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2020, 11:27 PM

Default Re: ARA: They really just don't know how to do this, do they.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
You’re right. Everyone has different needs and wants and it’s hard for them to make all users happy.

But currently, one could argue that they’re keeping no one happy.
LOL
Old 09-07-2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
But currently, one could argue that they’re keeping no one happy.
I agree that is the impression one gets browsing here on the DUC, but I know literally hundreds of users who use pro tools daily, never go on the DUC, and happily get their work done.

I very rarely hear them express a desire for new features etc.

I suspect that is repeated around the world.

The DUC can tend to be its own echo chamber of discontent.

Users just don't come here unless they have some issue they can't sort out with help from their peers.
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:58 AM

I use PT pretty much daily the last 10 years and it gets the job done, but not without lots of workarounds,
I'm so used to them they almost seem like an intentional feature. Workarounds are time consuming though.

How about not clearing the undo queue when deleting a track or removing a send for starters, what kind of feature is that? :)

PT looks more and more lika a dinosaur compared to other DAWs.
I would like to feel there was an effort from AVID, wanting to create the best possible DAW out there, but..not really the case.

Its just a pity its so damn hard to change DAW when its pretty much standard software for almost anything audio here in Sweden.

It's also pretty frustrating screaming about bugs and features to a support that doesnt even use the software professionally,
and therefor have very little understanding of what kind of problems the long lasting bugs and lack of features causes on a daily basis.

AVID doesnt seem to care much about improving the workflow really. Mostly keeping the boat floating.

Offline bounce is probably still the biggest thing that happened to PT and that was 10 years ago :)

Still screaming for improvements though since Im stuck with PT as long as its the dinosaurs industry standard
Old 09-08-2020, 04:48 AM

Jchan - where do you work? We work with the biggest producers all over and yes they have a PT copy but 70% of them don’t use PT any ore if they dont have to so the comment that everyone in sweden use PT is fairly off base.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-08-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Jchan - where do you work? We work with the biggest producers all over and yes they have a PT copy but 70% of them don’t use PT any ore if they dont have to so the comment that everyone in sweden use PT is fairly off base.
I assume you're in the music business then, I'm in broadcast, Radio / TV. For music PT is even more problematic. I'm a musician and I use Logic for that, or Fruity, sometimes Reason. I can barely get a midi keyboard working in PT :) In logic it works every time.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:07 AM

I’ve been using PT for about 2 years now and really like it for what it does, but can’t help feel the same way about future roadmap (or lack of) based on what was released in those 2 years.

One could argue that it is clearly in sustain mode with the occasional new feature (folders) every now and then, but no plan for innovative development.

If this is true, it could indicate a parallel development project for a new product (or major upgrade) that is brewing internally, building minimum feature parity and stability before announcement.

Of course this is all conjecture based on my product dev background (day job) but i have no evidence at all that this is the case (i.e. take it with a large grain of salt and pepper or whatever...)

Last edited by samtrino; 09-08-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchan View Post
I assume you're in the music business then, I'm in broadcast, Radio / TV. For music PT is even more problematic. I'm a musician and I use Logic for that, or Fruity, sometimes Reason. I can barely get a midi keyboard working in PT :) In logic it works every time.
Yeah sorry if my post sounded like I accused you of not knowing what you are talking about Not meant like that. And yes we record and produce music and music for TV shows so no post or mixing ourselves much as others are better suited for those tasks.

Most studo collabs we work with in europe and US have Live10Suite and LogicX etc so we only use PT for audio work as it has really wasted a lot of our time trying to do a bit higher level midi work which PT doesn’t really do so Live10S and LogicX for those tasks. LogicX has really jumped leaps the past year in Midi features and all over VI etc and Live 10 just works δr everytime. Would not use Live for audil recording though as it is really basic and convoluted so we have to use a few DAW’s still as we haven’t found an all in one yet.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-08-2020, 08:24 AM

Oh, industry standard, you can get away with murder on those laurels of yours. I thank this pandemic for giving me the free time I needed to really sink my teeth into a different DAW. Yes, it's really, REALLY hard to break the old habits, to have to look up how to do all the things that are second-nature from 20 years of PT usage. But ho-lee crap, once you start doing it, and you get over the hump, and you see just how much more is possible, all in a program with clean, lean, efficient code that takes up mere MBs as opposed to GBs, and doesn't insist you pay through the nose because "industry standard", and actually updates frequently with bug fixes and even more features, boy is it liberating.

And yes, I know many people are just plain happy in PT. If you're not constantly trying to figure out workarounds, and you're happy in your workflow, and you're rocking a steady business and don't mind an expensive Chevette vs an affordable BMW (because everyone else is using that same Chevette) then more power to ya.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:50 AM

Not sure which other DAW you switched to, but Reaper comes up pretty often, i tried it during the lockdown for few weeks but it just didn’t do if for me... if it works for you that’s great, you can’t go wrong with the value it provides.

Honestly i had high hopes for Luna, it sounded like the perfect PT replacement for someone with my needs and workflow... unfortunately it’s such a GPU hog that it crippled my Mac Mini... going back to PT felt like a breath of fresh air (not something i usually say after trying other DAWs)
Old 09-08-2020, 10:41 AM

FYI- a lack of complaints doesn’t equal happiness. There is tons of room for improvement with PT. For example- give us the option to make EVERY action undoable. Let’s not pretend like that requires some gargantuan effort. It just requires a company that wants to make their software better. Also would be great to have a “night mode”. Can you imagine how much easier that will be on your eyes and how awesome PT will look with that? Also (this is windows ASIO specific) but I’d love for PT to not take exclusive control over the entire O/S. Other DAWs have already proven this is possible by making a “virtual” ASIO driver similar to how FL studio and Sonarworks does. Also would love for Pro Tools to have a “control room” similar to Cubase so I can insert room correction software and not have to worry about disabling it every time I bounce a mix. Geniuses here saying they don’t need ARA until they realize they can tune vocals without having to scan anything. I could go on and on, but those features alone will would probably take a decade for Avid to implement if they even cared to.