Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-03-2009, 06:33 PM

Default audio engine play startup deadline

getting a weird error after upgrading to ptle 8 on osx. "audio engine play startup deadline was missed" - happens occasionally on a session. won't be able to play again until i quit and relaunch pro tools.

also running in to some other issues after upgrading. lots of error messages about lack of cpu power, even on sessions MUCH less complex/less plugins than when i was on 7.4. i have an 8 core mac pro, pt should not be sluggish at all!

any suggestions?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 PM

Default Re: audio engine play startup deadline

I had this on my PC system, I changed the playback engine buffer and it worked again.

good luck with the rest of your trouble.
Try setting the cpu to 7 cores
Old 01-04-2009, 02:31 PM

i've tried switching the hw buffer settings. nothing really changed. i tried going to 4 cores to completely isolate one of the processors (thats what i had to do in 7.4), but that didnt really help either.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:32 PM

hey out there. i've been having this problem for about two years and it is driving me completely insane. i have a dual ghz powerpc MAC with 6.5 RAM. any session i open will have this problem after playing for less than 30 seconds, even if it only has one track in it. i have had the computer completely ripped apart by Apple and the motherlboard, logic board, and all the ports replaced. i upgraded from 002 to 003, protools 7 to protools 8, i've done all updaters, firmware, basically i have tried everything at least twice. my little macbook pro laptop has zero issues whatsoever. if i hadn't had all the consecutive parts in the G5 replaced, i'd would assume it's just a really awfully terribvle bad computer, but the whole thing has been replaced. If anyone has any advice on this issue, that would be great, because my system is basically unusable due to it.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:14 AM

I received this message, "audio engine play startup deadline was missed".

It came out of nowhere after record enabling an audio track to record my Virus TI Bus. I didn't do anything I hadn't already done about 5-10 times prior.

Steps: Enable Record, setup recording boundaries, pressed apple+space bar.
Pro Tools stutters, then hiccups, then pop's up the window the the above error.

Tried changing buffer size and cache... ultimately had to quit out of pro tools and relaunch to get it to work again.

Was completely random and unexpected since I've not run into many problems with PTLE apart from the occasional HW Buffer Playback issue and the GUI mouse offset.

Macbook Pro 2.16 c2d OSX 10.5.5 || Mbox Pro 2
PTLE 8 || MPT2 || Transfuser
2x's Lacie d4 500gig 7200rpm
Old 02-11-2009, 11:23 AM

I've started getting this again. Too often. changing the buffer, or checking the ignore errors box causes a crash.
The only recent change to my system was to switch the firewire card to a different slot, corrected one problem, but created another.
I'm gonna have to track down a pcie card I think
Old 02-26-2009, 06:09 PM

I just got this error for the first time with PT8.0 cs2. After a re-launch it went away. Any info on this Digi??
Old 02-26-2009, 06:25 PM

Just a friendly reminder to post your full system specs when seeking potential solutions for unanswered problems. Helps a lot when it comes to identifying things that might be similar/common amongst the folks having the issue and possibly pinpointing the problem.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:41 PM

So there are no solutions to this? Awesome. I have the same problem.

PT8
8-core Mac Pro
16GB RAM
Old 03-14-2009, 02:25 PM

Default Re: audio engine play startup deadline was missed

Often I will get this error a couple times:

Lost communication with the audio interface. Please try increasing the "H/W Buffer Size" or removing some plug-ins, and make sure you have a valid clock source. Press OK to reset device. (-6097)

Usually soon after I get this:
"Audio engine play startup deadline was missed"

Then I have to restart Pro Tools. It seems to happen most often with instrument plug-ins like Stylus and Reason.

I would love to know how to fix this. Pro Tools is basically useless to me in this state of constant crashing. I've tried all different HW Buffer settings - doesn't seem to make a difference. I have a very capable 8-core 16MB Mac Pro with a brand new 003 Rack, and the issue is not too many active plug-ins.