Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2015, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Focusrite with Pro Tools

well i am afraid to even plug mine in lol the 2i2 was what crashed my other computer and it ALL started with PT12 and the focusrite interface... so i think i will be changing interfaces and it WON'T be a focusrite lol

KNOT HARDLY PRODUCTIONS LLP*
Knot Hardly Esquire
Farcebook Twatter

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Window$10 FX4300 MSI970A-G46 16Gb AMD7870

*a Limited Liability Persona
Old 09-02-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian.Focusrite View Post
The main thing to consider when using a PC is that WDM takes priority over the driver thus is the reason why you have to match sample rates in your windows sound preferences. You can also disable the interfere in Windows sound to avoid this extra step.
And this is how I do it.

On my desktop, my Creative Audigy handles all Windows sounds (youtube, media player etc). I connect my interface (PMIO) using SPDIF to my Audigy, and my monitors to the Audigy. All the sound comes out my monitors, but Windows doesn't mess with my interface sample rate.

Laptop, I use onboard sound for Windows, and the 18i20 for DAW.

Big thing is keeping Windows sounds away from your interface will make life much easier!

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 09-02-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
And this is how I do it.

On my desktop, my Creative Audigy handles all Windows sounds (youtube, media player etc). I connect my interface (PMIO) using SPDIF to my Audigy, and my monitors to the Audigy. All the sound comes out my monitors, but Windows doesn't mess with my interface sample rate.

Laptop, I use onboard sound for Windows, and the 18i20 for DAW.

Big thing is keeping Windows sounds away from your interface will make life much easier!

Joel

+1

I had to plug dummy plugs into the onboard audio jacks of my PC to keep Windows from defaulting to the 18I8 (or any other interface for that matter). I tried to turn jack auto-sensing off in the registry, but was unsuccessful.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 09-02-2015, 07:51 AM

I'm consider switching to Cubase too. How does the 6i6 (with the released Mix Control/Driver) work with Cubase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwillwilliams View Post
I have the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and I'm using it with Cubase Pro 8 but I'm transitioning to Pro Tools. Is there anyone that uses Focusrite with Pro Tools? Maybe this interface specifically?
Old 09-02-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
I'm consider switching to Cubase too. How does the 6i6 (with the released Mix Control/Driver) work with Cubase?
It works FLAWLESS with Cubase. It's simple as ever. My question is why does it seem that Avid has to make things so complicated? I use Cubase Pro 8 and it even came with an in depth tutorial dvd. After installing the Pro Tools 11 demo (and I had to buy the ilok) it messed up everything with my audio interface and I had to delete the driver then reinstall everything. I'm just not sure if switching to pro tools is even going to be worth it but I'll keep learning the system until otherwise
Old 09-02-2015, 08:33 AM

Thanks for responding! The demo is still 11? Did you get HD or standard?

Quote:
It works FLAWLESS with Cubase. It's simple as ever. My question is why does it seem that Avid has to make things so complicated? I use Cubase Pro 8 and it even came with an in depth tutorial dvd. After installing the Pro Tools 11 demo (and I had to buy the ilok) it messed up everything with my audio interface and I had to delete the driver then reinstall everything. I'm just not sure if switching to pro tools is even going to be worth it but I'll keep learning the system until otherwise
Old 09-02-2015, 08:39 AM

Standard. I want to try that before I even consider going hd
Old 09-02-2015, 09:53 AM

Wise move! Is the trial 11 or 12?

Quote:
Standard. I want to try that before I even consider going hd
Old 09-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothardly View Post
well i am afraid to even plug mine in lol the 2i2 was what crashed my other computer and it ALL started with PT12 and the focusrite interface... so i think i will be changing interfaces and it WON'T be a focusrite lol
Hi Knothardly,

If you would like some assistance with this, we can have your dump files looked at to see what might be causing this issue. Just PM me.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:48 PM

i know what started it. it was partially my fault as i stated on another thread... i read where there was a problem with PT11 crashing with the 2i2 and i also read at focusrite support to try the new beta driver. i installed the new beta driver without uninstalling old driver (seems the installer should have looked, removed and or wrote over the old driver) and after reboot the computer flat out failed to even get to BIOS. being an old programmer from ancient days i do not see how this could be but that driver install is all i have done to it before the failure. i am NOT blaming focusrite entirely... i am blaming both of us. i should have thought to remove the old driver before i installed the beta but the beta should have tried to protect me also in the installation (like remove the old driver first then install) almost forgot... when it installed the beta (i reckon from having two drivers trying to work at the same time) i heard a series of popping sounds and while they were popping... i saw the RED clipping rings on BOTH input controls flashing in time with the speaker popping. to stop the popping i unplugged the usb and plugged it back in before reboot. (and yes... it will NOT boot with the interface plugged in or not now... i tried everything i could think of to reset but to no avail.)

i have yet to get back to that computer but i am pretty sure if i tear it all apart and reformat the drive in it that all will go back together as if it were a new build but i will have lost a lot of stuff. but it is what it is.

p.s. the computer works... everything running just no start up... it just sits running.

KNOT HARDLY PRODUCTIONS LLP*
Knot Hardly Esquire
Farcebook Twatter

Window$10 FX4300 MSI970A-G46 16Gb AMD7870

*a Limited Liability Persona

Last edited by knothardly; 09-03-2015 at 07:53 PM.