Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Employment
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2015, 02:12 AM

Default Looking for a mixer for rap vocals

Im looking for somebody in this community that can mix some rap vocals for me. I'm looking for consistent business... i know theres a lot more people on here that know how to work the mixing aspect of pro tools better than i am at the moment as i am still learning so if anybody is interested i would love to talk!
Old 08-18-2015, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Looking for a mixer for rap vocals

K,

Hi mate.

Do you have any budget for this? Or are you more looking for a freebie/tuition sort of thing?

I'm actually right in the middle of doing exactly this sort of thing to a very inconsistent vocal. It's taken me the best part of two days of EXTREMELY hard graft to carefully work my way through this vocal piece by piece, monitoring it thru a "print" track, whilst carefully addressing all the nasty frequency spikes and holes in the tone with a lot of dynamic EQ and also lots of automated EQ and leveling, then printing each line once it's well balanced. Rinse and repeat.

I can now understand the lyric perfectly, and the vocal makes the whole mix sound right without cutting my head off or disappearing from word to word.

A lead vocal HAS to be this way for me to feel the overall mix has settled. Sometimes the vocal just sits nicely, and sometimes it needs substantial work. As you're rightly discovering, consistency of tone and balance is the most important thing IMHO.

If I can be of any help, let me know.

Cheers.

Steve Bush
Old 08-22-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
K,

Hi mate.

Do you have any budget for this? Or are you more looking for a freebie/tuition sort of thing?

I'm actually right in the middle of doing exactly this sort of thing to a very inconsistent vocal. It's taken me the best part of two days of EXTREMELY hard graft to carefully work my way through this vocal piece by piece, monitoring it thru a "print" track, whilst carefully addressing all the nasty frequency spikes and holes in the tone with a lot of dynamic EQ and also lots of automated EQ and leveling, then printing each line once it's well balanced. Rinse and repeat.

I can now understand the lyric perfectly, and the vocal makes the whole mix sound right without cutting my head off or disappearing from word to word.

A lead vocal HAS to be this way for me to feel the overall mix has settled. Sometimes the vocal just sits nicely, and sometimes it needs substantial work. As you're rightly discovering, consistency of tone and balance is the most important thing IMHO.

If I can be of any help, let me know.

Cheers.

Steve Bush
So to put in cornbread English, you've spent the last few days polishing a turd from a person who has zero linguistics abilities?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-22-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
So to put in cornbread English, you've spent the last few days polishing a turd from a person who has zero linguistics abilities?
We've all been there. Here comes the producer with one arm around his (less-than-perfect) artist, and in the other hand a fist full of cash. Whataya gonna do?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-02-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
We've all been there. Here comes the producer with one arm around his (less-than-perfect) artist, and in the other hand a fist full of cash. Whataya gonna do?
nice.....and yes it would be hard to turn down. Polish away......shiniest T you have ever seen man...
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidklasick View Post
Im looking for somebody in this community that can mix some rap vocals for me. I'm looking for consistent business... i know theres a lot more people on here that know how to work the mixing aspect of pro tools better than i am at the moment as i am still learning so if anybody is interested i would love to talk!
Not sure if you found somebody already, but if not, and you have some sort of budget I'll be more than glad to discuss the details with you.