Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2018, 06:59 PM

Default Windows 10 background apps and programs

I'm running Pro Tools 12.5 on a Windows 10 computer. Occasionally Pro Tools stops and I get that pesky window telling me I'm running out of CPU power. I monitor my CPU workload pretty closely when I'm mixing using the System Usage window, and often when I get that message the system usage window doesn't indicate my CPU is working all that hard, so I can only assume that one of the reasons for this is all the junk Windows runs in the background. I was wondering if anyone knew of a comprehensive list of which of these could be uninstalled or disabled and how to accomplish that? Thanks
Old 02-05-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Windows 10 background apps and programs

you know which one I would like to disable...that i havent put that much time into researching.....

Cortana....even though I really like the search feature and find it excellent.

I would like to disable it.

I don't get any kind of shutdowns like this when using PT and Win10 but I always like to tailor my settings.

I would start with disabling - all forms of apple, itunes, icloud, adobe, printer software, update software.....and the like. Only you know what's on your system.

I also would make the change in startup so those things don't load auto matically when I start my computer.

https://windows.gadgethacks.com/how-...ws-10-0163552/

caveot emptor......
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:49 PM

W10 is actually pretty good at managing this stuff.

While you are running a PT session, open Task Manager (right click on the Start icon) and sort the list by CPU. You'll see if any programs are hogging the processor.

The Task Manager Performance tab has a running view of CPU, RAM, etc. Chrome is often the problem for both CPU and RAM (each tab is a new instance, basically).

I find that when running PT, it is using ~8% of the CPU, and nothing else comes close.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:26 PM

I'm with you, YYR123. I'd like to disable Cortana, but I haven't found any way to do it. Microsoft has always set Windows up with a lot of stuff running in the background in order to speed things up, but Windows 10 seems to have taken away the option of disabling most of it that you could disable in the past Of course, the obvious solution is to buy a Mac, but unfortunately I don't have the money available. I use iTunes because I don't care for Windows Media Player (which I think you also cannot disable). I don't have a printer hooked up to my studio computer. Also, I watch tutorials and the like on that computer, so disabling something like Adobe Flash Player probably isn't an option, and I need to read PDF files for manuals, so disabling Adobe Reader wouldn't work either. I'll keep looking...
Old 02-05-2018, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the info, seriousfun. That's a good idea of how to check out the CPU draw. I've done all the optimizations recommended by Avid for a PC, but this still crops up occasionally. I don't have a wireless system installed in my studio computer, but I do use a USB wireless adapter when I need to connect it to the internet. I like to have two browsers in my computers because I've found that sometimes one works better than another for certain tasks. I recently uninstalled Firefox from all three of my computers because some serious problems had cropped up with it. I replaced it with Chrome, but if Chrome is that much of a CPU hog, I'll sure uninstall it from at least my studio computer. Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:25 AM

Have you done the optimizations outlined in the Avid Optimization Guide?

It doesn't cover disabling background apps, but is a good place to start.

Disabling any 3rd party antivirus program is also typically recommended.

System Details
Old 02-06-2018, 07:26 AM

Thanks for your response, junkgear. Yes, I did the optimizations several years ago when my computer was a Windows 7 computer. When I did the Windows 10 upgrade, I went back through and did them again. I also don't have a third party antivirus on this computer--I use Windows Defender for that, and of course, it runs in the background. I don't have wireless on this computer, so when I need it, I use a USB wireless adapter, which I usually don't leave plugged in when I'm working in Pro Tools. That being said, I guess I could temporarily disable Windows Defender while I"m not connected to the internet. I also have Malwarebytes in the computer, which I use to do scans about once a week. I use the free version which I understand doesn't run in the background, but maybe I'd best check that out. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:43 AM

Have a look at this thread.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-06-2018, 09:47 AM

Which specific error are you seeing? For me, its a -9093 and I can cut that one by about 95% if I disconnect the internet(I still have a router connected for using Artist Mix and iPad running the CONTROL app).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-06-2018, 01:09 PM

Thanks to The Weed. That's a link to an ambitious post you sent. I'm not certain that I even understood all of it. Had I known how deeply I'd have to get into computers when I started with Pro Tools 6 years ago, it would have given me pause, maybe even stopping me cold. I love the musical part of digital recording but not the computer tech part so much. I'll study on the post you sent me to. It does sound like it might have the answer. One thing that particularly caught my attention was that Avid did not recommend de-fragging, which I didn't know. The reason that caught my eye is that I de-frag every day using Auslogics defragger.