Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 06:39 AM

Default UAD 1 cards with TDM/RTAS

I witnessed on a PC HD system, a UAD 1 card running with an HD 1 rig. It was setup via the VST wrapper. I was told this would work on a MAC HD rig as well. I wasnt aware that this would work on a MAC HD rig. Has anybody tried this with positive results. I know their plug ins sound great.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Re: UAD 1 cards with TDM/RTAS

Sure. I have a UAD card in my older dual 2.0GHz G5, running alongside an HD2 system; works fine. Running PT 7.3.1, OSX 10.4.8.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:36 PM

How does HD's delay compensation deal with the UAD plugs?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-27-2007, 01:40 PM

No differently than with any other plugin--it sees it as a wrapped RTAS plugin, and the delays are computed and shown on the bottom of the mix screen (if you have it enabled to show) in the same manner as for any other type of plugin.

The only difference is that instead of appearing under the normal file menu, they all appear in a new submenu called "Wrapped plugins."
Old 03-27-2007, 06:45 PM

ishur. Is it nice and stable? No issues?
Old 03-28-2007, 06:39 AM

No issues the way I use it, which is that I tend to only use a few of the higher end plugs like the LA2A, Fairchild, etc. I have an older G5 with the 8131 chipset. This is known to cause the UAD card to not be able to utilize its entire power if you tend to use a lot of smaller plugs (this is a general Apple chipset issue, nothing to do with PT). However, if you are only using 4-6 of the heavier hitters, you can get to 85% or so usage of the card.

I had some issues originally when I only had an HD1 system and was running 44.1/24 using only one HD chip for processing audio. I would get PCI spikes if I used more than one or two UAD plugs, and the system would stop. When I switched the settings to run using two HD chips, the issue went away. I have an HD2 system now, having picked up an Accel card, and have no trouble running the UAD using 4 chips for audio at 88.2/24. I think if you try to stretch to the max number of channels running per HD chip, that stresses the PCI buss and causes problems. Give it some running room and things are fine.

No issues with any of the plugs themselves; they all work exactly as they did when I was running AU versions with Logic natively.

Hope that's clear enough.