Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 10-23-2020, 01:01 PM

Default Speeding up and slowing down PB in ProTools

Hey guys,
I would like to speed up or slow down the playback in pro tools in HT-steps. Like in the old days with the studer 2"... play it back at lower speed and record, then play it back at normal speed. (similar to shift-space function/ -12HT)
I definitely dont want to time compress it with elastic audio or TCE nor melodyne it.

Since Im working with Apogee bigben as a clocking unit, it will allow me to speed up or slow down the clock by 1% or 4%. So basically to run the whole system at 50kHz. Im getting the desired change in tempo and pitch and hearing no artifacts? Im wondering if any of you have better ideas to approach the matter?

Thanks D

*MacPro Quad 2.66 | 6GB Ram | OSX 10.9.8
HD6 Accel | Magma PE6R | 2x 192 I/O | PT 10
Old 10-23-2020, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Speeding up and slowing down PB in ProTools

While it's listed under Elastic Audio, the Varispeed function is what I use for recording at a different speed. Basically you enable Varispeed on all the tracks in the session including the one you're recording with, then change the tempo to play everything faster or slower while recording the new audio. Then when you're done, change the tempo back to the original. You can then just disable Varispeed on the original tracks, and commit the Varispeed on the new track(s) - don't use X-form on it though because it will then stretch or compress the audio - just commit it as is and it should be synched with the session at the correct tempo.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-08-2024, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Speeding up and slowing down PB in ProTools

summit01 !!!!

Thank you so much! I have been wondering about this for years and did not know about this. I learned on cassette 4-tracks and Reel-to-Reel machines in the 90s and have been trying to figure out a better way to do this than pitch shifting (without time correcting) all the tracks to the desired speed/pitch, recording, and then pitch shifting everything back.

You just saved me a whole lot of time!

Cheers!