Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2018, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Feedback loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTee View Post
ok, thanks, I'm using the usb cable that came with the audio interface
Forget that and get the external power supply - that should fix your problems.

QAPLA!
Old 03-27-2018, 04:51 PM

ok, thanks, so I need to get an adaptor that works with the audio interface and use that rather than the usb for power.
Is this an issue unique to Pro Tools? With other DAWs I've been able to use the usb cable with no issues, thanks again!
Pro Tools First 2018.3 Windows
Sound module: Roland Duo-Capture Ex
Midi controller: Roland A-49
Video/Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 635
Storage Devices
WDC WD10EZEX-60M2NA0 1TB
Old 03-27-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
ok, thanks, so I need to get an adaptor that works with the audio interface and use that rather than the usb for power.
Is this an issue unique to Pro Tools? With other DAWs I've been able to use the usb cable with no issues, thanks again!
It's not unique to PT; it's just that USB power can be easily overloaded. It doesn't have an unlimited amount of current it can supply. Bus power is suspect in all but the lightest of uses anyways. Doesn't matter that you don't have this problem with other daw s/w. It may well help your problem and is worth a try. The only things I would ever put on USB bus power would be an iLok, computer keyboard and mouse and that's it.

QAPLA!
Old 03-27-2018, 05:16 PM

Duo-Cappture should be "Enabled" but not "Default" in your Sound control panel, not "Disabled". There should be an audio device in your Sound control panel that is the base windows output, usually "Realtek Audio". Set this to "Default" . Restart PT while holding "N" key, will bring up setup so you can re choose correct audio engine , duo capture , before PT starts
Old 03-27-2018, 05:35 PM

ok, thanks, will try the adaptor for my audio interface and see if that works
I tried settings suggested for my Sound panel in the most recent post, but still the same problem, no playback in Pro Tools, only horrible feedback loop.
Holding the "N" key doesn't launch the setup window, I've tried numerous times
Just to confirm:
- is it lower case "n", or shift+n?
- also do you double click to launch Pro Tools and then hit the "n" key, or are you holding the "n" key and then double-clicking to launch Pro Tools?

Doing some other reading online and in the forums, wondering if the Roland Duo Capture just doesn't work with Pro Tools?
Storage Devices
WDC WD10EZEX-60M2NA0 1TB
Old 03-27-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
ok, thanks, will try the adaptor for my audio interface and see if that works
I tried settings suggested for my Sound panel in the most recent post, but still the same problem, no playback in Pro Tools, only horrible feedback loop.
Holding the "N" key doesn't launch the setup window, I've tried numerous times
Just to confirm:
- is it lower case "n", or shift+n?
- also do you double click to launch Pro Tools and then hit the "n" key, or are you holding the "n" key and then double-clicking to launch Pro Tools?

Doing some other reading online and in the forums, wondering if the Roland Duo Capture just doesn't work with Pro Tools?
Hold down the 'n' key and then double click the PT icon to open PT and continue holding down the 'n' key until the menu comes up asking you to select your audio interface.

You've said before that Windows is NOT using your audio interface for it's output - what is? I seriously doubt you are getting a feedback loop. What all do you have connected to your interface? Monitor speakers, microphone, etc.?

QAPLA!
Old 03-27-2018, 07:30 PM

Make sure in sound control panel to set to previously specified on both Playback and Recording tabs. Built in stuff default. Roland enabled but not default. Need more info on this "feedback", such as when does it start, how session is set up, etc.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Make sure in sound control panel to set to previously specified on both Playback and Recording tabs. Built in stuff default. Roland enabled but not default. Need more info on this "feedback", such as when does it start, how session is set up, etc.
I don't think it's feedback as we know it; the op's earlier description seems to say otherwise. At least it's not feedback from within PT because unless something changed it's very difficult to get a feedback loop using PT's internal bussing (at least I've never been able to). Would love to hear an audio sample of what's going on.

QAPLA!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:48 AM

Hi guys,
Sorry taking me some time to get an audio sample of the noise I'm hearing.
I saved a sample of the noise as a .wav file, but I guess I can't attach a .wav file to my post?
any suggestions how to share the audio sample?
In the meantime I've attached screenshots of some of my setup - I loaded one of the sample projects that comes with Pro Tools First, haven't changed any of the bussing
Have tried all the recommendations from the previous posts re: making sure only Pro Tools is using my audio interface and am now powering the audio interface with the appropriate adaptor, but still having the same issues
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Playback_Engine.JPG (21.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Noise.jpg (44.9 KB, 0 views)
Storage Devices
WDC WD10EZEX-60M2NA0 1TB
Old 04-01-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Hi guys,
Sorry taking me some time to get an audio sample of the noise I'm hearing.
I saved a sample of the noise as a .wav file, but I guess I can't attach a .wav file to my post?
any suggestions how to share the audio sample?
In the meantime I've attached screenshots of some of my setup - I loaded one of the sample projects that comes with Pro Tools First, haven't changed any of the bussing
Have tried all the recommendations from the previous posts re: making sure only Pro Tools is using my audio interface and am now powering the audio interface with the appropriate adaptor, but still having the same issues
That second screenshot - is that all the tracks in the session?
Try this - instead of using a master fader use an aux track as the collector (aka 2-bus) of all your tracks and see what you get. How to do that if you don't know: route the audio output of one track to a new aux track - then route any additional track audio outputs to that same aux track. Route the output of that aux track to your default audio output. Uses slightly more cpu power and the inserts are now pre-fader and not post-fader like a master fader track.
Have you configured the PT I/O setup from the pull down menu? You'll want to consult the manual.

QAPLA!