Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2016, 06:21 AM

Default Multiple Units Question

I've got an MC Control that I've been using a couple of years. I added the Transport about a month or so ago. I am considering adding a couple of Mix units, but I had some questions before I buy.

1) How do the features on the mix work when working with the Control? For example: The control has 8 knobs to control 8 functions. Once a function, say insert is selected, the 8 knobs now show the plugs, once selected, the 8 knobs now show the settings of the plug. Since the 8X5 matrix of the Mix does the exact same thing, I would like to know what changes when it is now in "Slave Mode." Do the 8 mix knobs become page 2 of options because the Control becomes page 1 as default?

2) Is that banking issue resolved? If I have 2 Mix units, will I be able to bank in groups of 20 faders?

3) Can I lock any of the MIx units, for example, assign one to be the permanent 8 bus or VCA section?

4) Once I have a Mix, can Fader Flip Mode be extended to the Control unit?

Finally, as all the attention is being diverted to the S3/Dock now, is it worth bothering to buy the Mix if it along with any other Artis Series device is about to lose any remaining support? Or wil they have ample support for another cycle, say 5 years?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

My Rigg:
Nuendo 1 - 7 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 - 5820K CPU @ 3.30 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control & Transport | Xkeys | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |
Old 07-30-2016, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Multiple Units Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post

2) Is that banking issue resolved? If I have 2 Mix units, will I be able to bank in groups of 20 faders?

To my knowledge, the banking issue is still not resolved. I think if you have a control unit, this whole setup (mix and control) will bank in steps of 4

Finally, as all the attention is being diverted to the S3/Dock now, is it worth bothering to buy the Mix if it along with any other Artis Series device is about to lose any remaining support? Or wil they have ample support for another cycle, say 5 years?

The mix units are not discontinued... so I think they are good for a while.

PT Ultimate - Mac Studio M1 Max - Monterey - RME Fireface UFX II - 2x S1, 1x Dock with an iPad 7th gen - Genelec 8330 5.1 setup
Old 07-30-2016, 12:15 PM

Wow, you can't even bank in blocks of 8? That's ridiculous! You should AT LEASTbe able to bank in a block of the 8 fader unit(S).

This guy seems to have solved the banking problem and he's on Studio One. He's got 3 Artist Mix & 1 MC Control (28 Faders) and he seemsto be banking (via HUI Protocol at that) 8 faders minimum through all of his units. I THOUGHT he might be banking 28 faders at a time. But, if not, it looks as though he's moving each unit at least 8 faders. Look at the 11:17 min. through 16:42min. section of the video to see what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b00PF4Y8X9A

Last edited by KeyplayerG; 08-05-2016 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
Wow, you can't even bank in blocks of 8? That's ridiculous! You should AT LEASTbe able to bank in a block of the 8 fader unit(S).

This guy seems to have solved the banking problem and he's on Studio One. He's got 3 Artist Mix & 1 MC Control (28 Faders) and he seemsto be banking (via HUI Protocol at that) 8 faders minimum through all of his units. I THOUGHT he might be banking 28 faders at a time. But, if not, it looks as though he's moving each unit at least 6 faders. Look at the 11:17 min. through 16:42min. section of the video to see what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b00PF4Y8X9A
Yes you can bank in groups of 8 tracks if you have a Control, and a Mix!

But I must say that I have reverted back to EuControl ver. 3.3.1, from 3.4, because AVID chose to change the way the "Faders Off" command is initiated!

The only way we get it back is if Steinberg adds the "Faders Off" command to their EuCon Adapter... and who knows when that will happen... if ever!

At least Cubase still works with a version of EuControl that still has the "Faders Off" command hard wired to the Shift + Solo buttons on Ch.1.

But, I expect the next Cubase update will require the latest version of EuControl, and if they do not implement the "Faders Off" command... we will be stuck with what another user (Led) describes as what sounds like an "Ice Skating Rink" during mixing!

Al
Old 08-05-2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPro View Post
Yes you can bank in groups of 8 tracks if you have a Control, and a Mix! Al
Is that when you make the 2 units bank independently?

Also, as I have 2 mix units, can I make them bank in steps of 16?

Thanks

PT Ultimate - Mac Studio M1 Max - Monterey - RME Fireface UFX II - 2x S1, 1x Dock with an iPad 7th gen - Genelec 8330 5.1 setup
Old 08-05-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu101 View Post
Is that when you make the 2 units bank independently?

Also, as I have 2 mix units, can I make them bank in steps of 16?

Thanks
No, you can only bank in groups of 8 faders. Look at the video I posted.