Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2011, 07:49 AM

Default Rolling your own impulses for TL Space

Anyone here doing this? If so, what are you using for de-convolving & preparing your impulses?
Altiverb has it's Pre-processor (proprietary format), Space Designer has it's Impulse Response Utility (see below) - why nothing for TL Space?
So failing that, I've been using Apple's Impulse Response Utility, and it works OK, but what if I want to use other impulses I've already recorded in the field using say a balloon pop? I need to be able to de-convolve stuff not necessarily created by Impulse Response Utility...
Also, IRU seems to create a pre-delay that doesn't work well with TL Space - I can trim it off, but am I then introducing some inaccuracies in the response? It's important for what I'm doing that the responses are an accurate picture of the space I'm trying to reproduce.
Lotta questions, I know, but any help appreciated,
Cheers
Roger
PS. I know about FuzzMeasure, but it's a bit pricey and it seems to suffer from the same issue as IRU, ie. it only deconvolves it's own impulses.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Rolling your own impulses for TL Space

Voxengo has a deconvolver that you can use freely in a limited fashion and is inexpensive to purchase. You can use it to generate the source sweep, and then you use it to deconvolve the recorded sweep to end up with an impulse response .wav file.

You could also avoid the deconvolve step by drawing a 1 sample impulse in a Pro Tools region and use this to capture impulse responses directly.

Balloon pops are already an impulse response. You don't need to deconvolve them.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control