Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2010, 10:23 PM

Default Routing Mac audio into PT

I'm running PT 9 with an Apogee Duet, and I use the Duet for more than just Pro Tools (iTunes, Logic, etc). The Duet gives me a stereo pair of ins & outs, and the outputs are connected to my amp. I want the ability to route Mac audio into Pro Tools.

I'm currently accomplishing this with Soundflower and Soundflowerbed. It works... but I can't help thinking there's a better way. I've heard about Jack OSX, but I couldn't figure out how to get that working with PT.

This seems like it should be simple, but it's not.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Routing Mac audio into PT

Why not just run it out the macs output/headphone jack and into the duet? Seems the simplest way without dealing with extra software.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
Why not just run it out the macs output/headphone jack and into the duet? Seems the simplest way without dealing with extra software.
That involves switching sound settings in system control prefs every time I launch Pro Tools and then switch it back when I close Pro Tools... unless you know of a way to have the Mac output sound to both the Duet and the headset jack at the same time. If you do, I'm all ears because that's something I'd love to do.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRaden View Post
That involves switching sound settings in system control prefs every time I launch Pro Tools and then switch it back when I close Pro Tools... unless you know of a way to have the Mac output sound to both the Duet and the headset jack at the same time. If you do, I'm all ears because that's something I'd love to do.
Interesting, because by default, without me touching anything, my Pro Tools audio comes out of my interface (ProFire 610) and my Mac's system audio (including Safari, etc) come out of the headphone jack. I didn't have to set up anything. When I have my MacBook Pro "docked", I actually run another cable from my headphone out to my mixer, so any system audio I could possibly want to hear or possibly record is already running into the mixer, which I can then run back thru my interface.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Interesting, because by default, without me touching anything, my Pro Tools audio comes out of my interface (ProFire 610) and my Mac's system audio (including Safari, etc) come out of the headphone jack.
Does that mean you're not using your ProFire to listen to Mac audio when not in Pro Tools? iTunes, for example. Would iTunes play through your headset jack, your Profire, or both at the same time? It seems silly to me to own a high end audio interface but listen to Mac audio via the built-in headset jack output.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRaden View Post
Does that mean you're not using your ProFire to listen to Mac audio when not in Pro Tools? iTunes, for example. Would iTunes play through your headset jack, your Profire, or both at the same time? It seems silly to me to own a high end audio interface but listen to Mac audio via the built-in headset jack output.
I haven't configured it otherwise, and iTunes plays out of the headphone jack. It's a laptop so 75% of the time I'm not hooked up to the interface, so I just leave the settings as is.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I haven't configured it otherwise, and iTunes plays out of the headphone jack. It's a laptop so 75% of the time I'm not hooked up to the interface, so I just leave the settings as is.
Ah, I see where the confusion came from.
I've edited my original post to specify that I use my interface for far more than just Pro Tools.