Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2023, 02:59 PM

Default Missing session/project

OK this is not the first time I've taken a few weeks off from recording, and come back, and my latest song is just missing. Gone. The media files are still visible in my hard driver folders. The project, or session itself is gone, and so are the two backups/saves I had.
My Pro Tools friend here in Nashville has no idea, and neither do I. I can't find any such thing online about this. I feel like the only person who's ever had this happen.
So I open up Pro Tools, and I WANT to select "recent" songs, but only a few of them show up from like last year. Not the couple versions of a song I was recently working on. This is hours upon hours of recording....gone. So frustrating.
I'm a pro photographer, and an occasional music guy, so I'm sorry I'm not super knowledgeable with my PT tech talk. I have a leaky brain.
Any ideas??
Old 12-02-2023, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Missing session/project

Don’t worry about the “recently opened” menu option. Go to the location on your hard drive where the session was saved.

If didn’t designate a spot for it then look in a Documents folder or on your main hard drive. No idea what system you’re working with here. But if your only going by the r “recently opened” sessions from the file menu, this get cleared out if you’ve recently installed a newer version.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:51 AM

Is it a Project or a Session? IIRC, Projects are Cloud Based and Sessions are local. If Sessions, find the Sessions' .ptx and you should also find all the files in folders where the .ptx is.

If it's a Project. From the Reference Manual: "Projects are similar to sessions, but projects are cloud enabled. Projects are written to a local project cache that includes all project data and associated media as well as mirrored in your Avid Cloud Account. Offline projects store all media and project data in the local cache only. Online projects are stored in your Avid Cloud Account and mirrored locally (though you can clear the local project cache and have the project and its media stored only in the cloud)."
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-24-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Irwin View Post
The project, or session itself is gone, and so are the two backups/saves I had.
Are the backups in another physical location?

I'm so paranoid about losing sessions that I have several backups to other hard drives in my computer, external hard drives, DVD/BluRay and cloud backups. Been burned in the past and having all these backups has saved me time and time again.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7