Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Avid

Default Re: New Avid Pro Tools Control for iPad

"what you seem to be describing is a public beta."

We released a minimum viable product on supported and qualified systems, that does what it is advertised to do. As someone who has advocated for Avid to enter the mobile space since the Euphonix acquisition in 2010, I quite candidly can inform you that this was the best and only way to justify investment.

To understand the potential and demand for mobile apps, we have to see what kind of traction we can get with a limited, but complete feature set. EUCON and iOS was the easy first choice as we could put together something compelling, with certain things only Avid can do (layouts, track types, etc.), several that everyone else can do (faders, solos, mutes, transport) and others we plan to implement in the future if we get sufficient adoption and feedback to justify investment.

"Now, please do not hesitate to release 11.3.2, so those of us who have invested heavily in your equipment and software for decades, can regain functionality."

Qualified systems clearly state that EuControl 3.3 is qualified with 12.1 and 11.3.2. As a listed known issue, it gave you the choice to move to the new version, or to wait for 11.3.2 - which is coming soon.

"For people who have signed up to the contract especially, you have wasted OUR time and OUR money."

If you are on contract, you have access to 12.1

JC
Old 08-11-2015, 10:35 AM

Personally I'm not on a contract yet, as I'm a HD owner, and thus at this present moment in time there's no incentive to waste money. However I have spent in excess of six figures with Avid over the years, like many other long term users. Us professional users who earn our living with your kit, have NEVER been in favour of going tablet / "mobile", as we knew there would be compromises, not only in functionality, but also in security, which is a BIG deal nowadays. When Dolby launched a WiFi remote for their mastering unit, it was a nightmare with IT security.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 08-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dB.co.uk View Post
Personally I'm not on a contract yet, as I'm a HD owner, and thus at this present moment in time there's no incentive to waste money. However I have spent in excess of six figures with Avid over the years, like many other long term users. Us professional users who earn our living with your kit, have NEVER been in favour of going tablet / "mobile", as we knew there would be compromises, not only in functionality, but also in security, which is a BIG deal nowadays. When Dolby launched a WiFi remote for their mastering unit, it was a nightmare with IT security.
I understand and appreciate your position.
We do have the unenviable task of developing strategy and roadmaps for several types of users. Not every product will work for every user, so we work at this from two angles:

1. Focusing highly specialized products on the needs of highly specialized workflows

2. Focusing generalized products on the core needs of diverse workflows

If Pro Tools | Control is a mismatch for you now, it may become something that fits into your workflow as we continue to develop it.

More professional features have been added to S3, including VCA spill. We have also spent time implementing features in Pro Tools | Control which augment S3 workflows.

JC
Old 08-11-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist PM View Post
I understand and appreciate your position.
We do have the unenviable task of developing strategy and roadmaps for several types of users. Not every product will work for every user, so we work at this from two angles:

1. Focusing highly specialized products on the needs of highly specialized workflows

2. Focusing generalized products on the core needs of diverse workflows

If Pro Tools | Control is a mismatch for you now, it may become something that fits into your workflow as we continue to develop it.

More professional features have been added to S3, including VCA spill. We have also spent time implementing features in Pro Tools | Control which augment S3 workflows.

JC
I don't want / need a S3 - it's a step back functionality wise from an Artist Control / Mix combination.

Which you've now broken, in order to implement a far reduced feature set in PTC.

Thanks for that.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 08-11-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist PM View Post
"what you seem to be describing is a public beta."

To understand the potential and demand for mobile apps, we have to see what kind of traction we can get with a limited, but complete feature set. EUCON and iOS was the easy first choice as we could put together something compelling, with certain things only Avid can do (layouts, track types, etc.), several that everyone else can do (faders, solos, mutes, transport) and others we plan to implement in the future if we get sufficient adoption and feedback to justify investment.

JC
You may want to go and take a look at the FREE PreSonus Studio One Control app for Studio One 3 to see how it is done, even as you suggest when it's an unknown market and free to the end user. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:06 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
You may want to go and take a look at the FREE PreSonus Studio One Control app for Studio One 3 to see how it is done, even as you suggest when it's an unknown market and free to the end user. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.
Good point, Russ. PreSonus have done a great job with the Control app. As have Apple with Logic Remote.

With Pro Tools | Control and EUCON at large we are focusing on a very general set of features that work with any EUCON app, as well as Pro Tools specific features we develop and add over time. Additionally, any change to EUCON affects the SDK for any adapter.

This is a little bit different from the philosophy of the aforementioned apps, any feature we introduce will have ripple effects across the EUCON install base whereas they are building point to point connections through a specific API.

Our approach dramatically increases the testing and support requirements, but enables very compelling workflows across a large stable of NLE's and DAWs.

This is why we chose a limited feature set, that works as advertised on qualified systems.

JC
Old 08-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Avid

Quote:
I don't want / need a S3 - it's a step back functionality wise from an Artist Control / Mix combination.

Which you've now broken, in order to implement a far reduced feature set in PTC.

Thanks for that.
Nothing is broken on qualified systems, and 11.3.2 will be available soon.

JC
Old 08-11-2015, 11:16 AM

Metering is broken on Eucon 3.3 with 11.3.1. For all Eucon Controllers. If it's not qualified why is it in my Avid account?

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 08-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Avid

Quote:
Metering is broken on Eucon 3.3 with 11.3.1. For all Eucon Controllers. If it's not qualified why is it in my Avid account?
As I've said, 11.3.2 is coming soon. 3.3 is qualified with 11.3.2, and 12.1.
When we update EUCON, we need to update adapters on the application side. The latest (and qualified) versions will always work best.

JC
Old 08-11-2015, 11:26 AM

Cloud Collaboration was "coming soon". I hope by comparison 11.3.2 is imminent.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors