Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2009, 04:32 AM

Lightbulb SCSI Controller - Ultra 320 Drive Question???

I am current using a ProTools Mix Plus system running on a Apple G4 - QuickSilver 2002.

The system is currently using an Atto Technology UL3D SCSI controller (Ultra 320 dual channel: 160 MB/Sec. per channel) with two Ultra 160 drives attached.

Unfortunately one of the drives has developed a problem and needs replacing, although it is possible to purchase a number of “reconditioned drives” on eBay (with the occasional unused one appearing) I would prefer to purchase a brand new unit if possible.

As some of you may have already discovered new Ultra 160 drives are becoming quite sparse with the newer Ultra 320 drive becoming widely available, my question is…

Can an Ultra 320 drive be connected to the afore mentioned (Ultra 160) SCSI controller? Of course it will obviously run no faster than 160 MB/Sec. however I would appreciate any advice regarding compatibility / technical and latency issues.

In addition, assuming there is no issues in connecting an Ultra 320 drive would an Ultra 320 or Ultra 160 internal cable be required to connect the drives - I would probably look at replacing both the defective drive with an Ultra 320 and the working unit with a higher capacity Ultra 320 hard disk.

Thanks
Darren
Old 02-02-2009, 02:35 PM

Default Re: SCSI Controller - Ultra 320 Drive Question???

The 320 should run at 160 bus speed just fine
But I have not used SCSI drives for some time so I may be wrong

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 AM

Default Re: SCSI Controller - Ultra 320 Drive Question???

Hello DocDolby,

My name is Nick and I work for Atto Technology as a Tech Support Technician.

To answer your first question, you should have no trouble connecting an Ultra320 drive to the UL3D.

The drive will negotiate the sync rate with the card and automatically drop down to Ultra160.

As far as cabling goes, we always recommend Ultra320 cables, even if you only have an Ultra160 card.

The reasoning behind this is because the wiring, shielding, and overall construction and quality of Ultra320 cables is much better than Ultra160. They should not cost much more either. Will it work with a Ultra160 cable? Probably...However -- Nine times out of ten when people are having issues with SCSI devices, it's the cable. Parallel SCSI is very, very sensitive to signaling and communication issues. It's definitely worth it to purchase a newer better quality Ultra320 cable.

If you are looking for a site to purchase cables from, we recommend www.tmcscsi.com, and www.cablestogo.com.

If you need any more help, feel free to contact our support department directly. Our website is www.attotech.com.

Best of luck with your new drive,

-Nique