Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2009, 02:16 AM

Default Is HD THAT much better than LE?

Currently use the 002 for soft synths and recording a reference vocal. I bounce the soft synths and vocals and send it off to be mixed and mastered.

If I got an HD setup, I'd get the HD2, a master clock (big ben), Avalon pre (for the R&B sound) and a pair of good monitors. This way, when I send off the audio it's at the highest quality possible.

From the little I know, the 192 sample rate, better mix bus, and a good clock would make my soft synths better than they do in the 002. Im not worried about functionality of PT on HD, just sound quality.

So what do you think?
Old 11-27-2009, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Is HD THAT much better than LE?

If ya not Mixing it yaself, i wouldnt worry bout HD. Hd comes into its own during mixing i reckon. The delay comp and 48 bit mix engine is very useful during mixing, but tracking is just fine in LE.

Im a HD man, but got no probs doing bits and bobs tracking wise on an 003 or mbox2. The converters are a big step up from the 002 to my ears.

Mabey just 2 channels of killer a/d conversion, and ya laughing.

Cheers
Dave
Old 11-27-2009, 02:28 AM

yes.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:30 AM

Do convertors matter for bouncing soft synths?
Old 11-27-2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
Do convertors matter for bouncing soft synths?

Hi..

No, but a good clock does. The xtra bits on the mix bus only become noticable to my ears when the mix bus starts getting full. Bouncing one synth at a time would be hard to tell the difference.

Only thinking a good pair of converters if ya sending them out and back...

Cheers
Dave
Old 11-27-2009, 02:44 AM

....so maybe a Black Lion Audio mod 002r or a 003 with a good master clock would be ideal?
Old 11-27-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdstudio View Post
Hi..

No, but a good clock does. The xtra bits on the mix bus only become noticable to my ears when the mix bus starts getting full. Bouncing one synth at a time would be hard to tell the difference.

Only thinking a good pair of converters if ya sending them out and back...

Cheers
Dave
[The sound of a can of worms being opened - Feel free to reply in a new thread if you feel it to be OT]

In which scenarios do you hear the benefits of the extra bits in the HD mix bus?

(before anyone wants to judge me for questioning this, I own HD3 with a 192... Just to rule out the theory of jealousy)
Old 11-27-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezking View Post
[The sound of a can of worms being opened - Feel free to reply in a new thread if you feel it to be OT]

In which scenarios do you hear the benefits of the extra bits in the HD mix bus?

(before anyone wants to judge me for questioning this, I own HD3 with a 192... Just to rule out the theory of jealousy)

Hi..

No new thread required. All quite valid i reckon.

Only when its a dense mix i can tell. No scientific tests done, but i do find the mix bus in HD with more 3D action.

Cheers
Dave
Old 11-27-2009, 04:17 AM

I'm just interested because I've been doing some academic research on the benefits of 48-bit fixed, versus 32-bit float DSP and I can't find any real reasons why fixed point would still be used.

The reason HD is based on it is because when the original TDM systems were designed the chips for fixed point were faster, and cheaper. When HD was designed, there was no need to switch. If it were designed now, it would most likely be based on floating point. This is of course all assumed - but based on the research I've done I can only realistically come to this conclusion.

There are of course many other considerations to make when designing a system; but modern processing seems to be tending towards floating point.

Theoretically, there shouldn't be any discernible difference in quality - given realistic parameters. However if you say there is (and I do believe you) I would like to hear the difference, and investigate what is causing it.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
Currently use the 002 for soft synths and recording a reference vocal. I bounce the soft synths and vocals and send it off to be mixed and mastered.

If I got an HD setup, I'd get the HD2, a master clock (big ben), Avalon pre (for the R&B sound) and a pair of good monitors. This way, when I send off the audio it's at the highest quality possible.

From the little I know, the 192 sample rate, better mix bus, and a good clock would make my soft synths better than they do in the 002. Im not worried about functionality of PT on HD, just sound quality.

So what do you think?
I wouldn't worry about the clock with this rig...but hey that's me.