Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2014, 01:16 PM

Default Re: HELP! Waves V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morrison View Post
This wasn't a legitimate Waves license transfer.
Ye, I kinda worked that one out myself, thanks.

Regardless, Waves should have had a block in place to stop this kind of thing from happening.

Read the posts above for a clearer understanding of it.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco1969 View Post
Ye, I kinda worked that one out myself, thanks.

Regardless, Waves should have had a block in place to stop this kind of thing from happening.

Read the posts above for a clearer understanding of it.
Waves discontinued iLok support in early 2012, with the release of V9.

As license transfers no longer involve iLok, there is nothing for Waves to block.

If the seller indicated that the iLok license was transferable, or upgradable, they clearly misrepresented themselves.

Simon Morrison • Audio Architect • Mastering Engineer • Music Technologist
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 | macOS 14.4.1
[ www.MorrisonStudios.com ]
Old 09-08-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Waves discontinued iLok support in early 2012, with the release of V9.

As license transfers no longer involve iLok, there is nothing for Waves to block.

If the seller indicated that the iLok license was transferable, or upgradable, they clearly misrepresented themselves.
So, how was he able to do it then? because he did! I now have that iLok license in MY iLok, transferred from HIS iLok.

There is an option in there where it says "Allow Transfer?" and it is set to "YES"… now, if Waves had stipulated (when they moved from using iLOK) that it had to be "NO" , or had moved ALL their licenses over to the new system then this could not have happened. Period!
Old 09-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco1969 View Post
So, how was he able to do it then? because he did! I now have that iLok license in MY iLok, transferred from HIS iLok.

There is an option in there where it says "Allow Transfer?" and it is set to "YES"… now, if Waves had stipulated (when they moved from using iLOK) that it had to be "NO" , or had moved ALL their licenses over to the new system then this could not have happened. Period!
This is really a case of "buyer beware" - a quick check on the Waves web site would have provided you with all the information needed to make an informed buying decision.

Simon Morrison • Audio Architect • Mastering Engineer • Music Technologist
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 | macOS 14.4.1
[ www.MorrisonStudios.com ]
Old 09-08-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
This is really a case of "buyer beware" - a quick check on the Waves web site would have provided you with all the information needed to make an informed buying decision.
And, how was I to know that he wasn't going through the Waves Transfer Procedure?

Where on the Waves website does it say, "watch out because the old iLok licenses can be transferred to you without going through our new transfer procedure, and if this happens you won't have a license for the product, well, you WILL have a license, just an invalid one, because we didn't put a stop on that with iLok"

Tell me, where does it say this?
Old 09-08-2014, 02:48 PM

A good example of customer protection: SSL allows selling discontinued Duende hardware and all purchased software without even contacting them prior sell but regarding their latest native software with iLok protection, licence transfer goes through iLok but with SSL final permition.
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8
Old 09-08-2014, 03:04 PM

Yep, this is the kind of thing that Waves could have put in place… Terrible company… just terrible!

What was really laughable was the fact that through this whole episode (which i still have no satisfactory conclusion to) the claimed that they have… wait for it… waaaaiiiit…. "SUPERIOR" customer service! brilliant!!… you really couldn't make this up!

just simply saying… no… no no no.. it's not our fault… it's nothing to do with Waves!… priceless….

That's them just lost, yet another, customer.. I will be buying no more Waves products, and would seriously advise anyone not to buy from them…

by far, the worst customer experience I've ever had, with any company, ever! And, I've dealt with a LOT of companies.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:26 PM

I know this situation sucks but for future reference anytime I sell or buy a second hand plugin license I always do a quick google of the particular plugin company transfer policy. It would be nice if there was no possible way to get burned but since that is not the case I cover my bases to be sure.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjb View Post
I know this situation sucks but for future reference anytime I sell or buy a second hand plugin license I always do a quick google of the particular plugin company transfer policy. It would be nice if there was no possible way to get burned but since that is not the case I cover my bases to be sure.
Ye, I agree, lesson well and truly learned here!

Seriously bad taste left in my mouth after dealing with Waves…

feel like I need a shower... I feel dirty...
Old 09-08-2014, 04:13 PM

Bear in mind that ordinary Pro Tools licences are transferable via the iLok licence transfer process, without you having to notify Avid.

And then there are question marks about accessing installers, because the transfer does not trigger an update in your Avid account, the registration stays on the original owner's Avid account.

So this isn't anything that Waves has done much differently, except that in moving away from using iLok altogether, having the iLok licence no longer provides a mechanism for updating. Having a Waves account with the software registered is what gets you access to upgrades.

If Avid ever moved away from using iLok, then the same situation would probably arise. But, as it is, you can buy an upgrade, have the new licence delivered to your iLok account, and, so long as you have a valid old licence in the same iLok account, you can surrender old for new, regardless of whether the old version was registered in your Avid account. That process couldn't work in a post-iLok regime.

Yes, you got burned, but not by Waves IMO. You got burned either by a knowledgable person who chose not to tell you the pitfalls involved, or by someone who was ignorant of the pitfalls, and that person was aided and abetted by you, seeing as your pre-purchase research did not lead you to ask the right questions and only hand over your money when satisfied with the answer.

I think you are being somewhat harsh on Waves. Many companies allow their licences to be transferred using the iLok process without the company having to be notified.

When you contact Waves CEO, bear in mind that the company has not seen a single £ of the money you spent on buying it on the second hand market. You might need to lower your expectations regarding the response you are likely to get from the CEO.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)